Summer Transfer Suggestion Thread 17/18

Nuwtfly

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Steve How Hard? said:

I'll retract that last statement. Just seen he came on as a sub. Possibly a tactical decision since they were playing Man City. Might be worth a cheeky bid but I'd hazard a guess that he's out of our price range. 

You never know, we have a rich owner. A cheeky opening £1 million bid may weaken their knees?

7 hours ago, sage said:

Lewis Cook on a 3mth loan to buy.

Good suggestion. I rate him very highly, it's a shame Bournemouth do too. He was very good against us for dirty Leeds are few years ago. Depending on how close he is to their first team we may be able to get a loan. He's the terrier type of midfielder we're missing, would support Tom Boy well

51 minutes ago, r4derby said:

Good suggestion. I rate him very highly, it's a shame Bournemouth do too. He was very good against us for dirty Leeds are few years ago. Depending on how close he is to their first team we may be able to get a loan. He's the terrier type of midfielder we're missing, would support Tom Boy well

He wasnt in their 18 on Saturday. Even if we only get him for a month it would buy Thorne some time. 

Cook is someone I've thought of, a pretty tenacious player who could give us a bit of bite, but I've maybe dismissed it due to Leeds connection. Imagine selling Will to Watford only for him to be Loaned to Leeds 12 months later. Not that I expect much loyalty in football.

Can't believe with a squad the size of ours we still need at least 3 players to even compete somehow, and seem to be ignoring a very soft spine. If Rowett neglects to buy a centre mid this window (unless by sone miracle Thorne and Vydra hit form and stay injury free) he's pretty much done himself out of a job.

As much as I'd like Lawrence it smacks of putting all your eggs in one basket and could backfire, the cash would be better spent on fees/wages for 4 loanees.

1 hour ago, sage said:

He wasnt in their 18 on Saturday. Even if we only get him for a month it would buy Thorne some time. 

Not sure month long loans are a thing, till Jan usually the minimum these days which would but George some more time to get himself fit, or at least take any pressure off of him

10 minutes ago, Rample said:

Cook is someone I've thought of, a pretty tenacious player who could give us a bit of bite, but I've maybe dismissed it due to Leeds connection. Imagine selling Will to Watford only for him to be Loaned to Leeds 12 months later. Not that I expect much loyalty in football.

Can't believe with a squad the size of ours we still need at least 3 players to even compete somehow, and seem to be ignoring a very soft spine. If Rowett neglects to buy a centre mid this window (unless by sone miracle Thorne and Vydra hit form and stay injury free) he's pretty much done himself out of a job.

As much as I'd like Lawrence it smacks of putting all your eggs in one basket and could backfire, the cash would be better spent on fees/wages for 4 loanees.

Our squad was bloated last season and since then we have added Hudds, Davies, Wisdom plus have Martin, Fozzy, Wiemann and hopefully not too long Thorne. Plus the imminent new signing.

We have lost Hughes, Ince, Christie and Camara.

So by this we are +4 on last seasons squad and still short on quality. The last few years really have got us in a terrible position personnel wise. Like a child playing Championship manager with an unlimited budget.

Think the biggest problem is that a lot of the players that people want out are in the last year of their contracts.

Bennett, Baird, Shackell, Hanson, Bent, Forsyth, Pearce, Russell, Roos and Thorne.

Not renewing any of those in this season would be shrinking the squad by near enough a starting 11 - and most of those have played first team games in the last year, notable exceptions being Forsyth, Roos and Thorne.

Makes the plans for next season far more important. And probably a lot more interesting.

There aren't many there that would be in line for an extension. Perhaps a year for Bennett, as it seemed in preseason that Rowett had an idea for him. I'd keep Pearce as a backup for Davies, but I think he'd look to move on for first team football. Forsyth, I'm not sure about as he's not looked great, but is still coming back from injury. Massive question marks over Thorne, they are treating him with kid gloves which is understandable, but how long can they afford to sustain this? It would be a shame to see him go, but equally would be no great surprise.

Here's something different- why not try to swop fernando forrestriari for Butterfield- FF has been banished to training with the kids and despite all the negatives he brings he is a talent and surely Sheff Wednesday are sick of him by now

Archived