Derby County v Leicester City (FA Cup) - Match Day Thread

DEL

18 minutes ago, DerbyRam! said:

Does it matter? His hand was away from his body and clearly stopped a goal scoring opportunity? Fair enough if it was close to his body and hit at him....but that was certainly not the case. If it wasn't a penalty, I guess if i ever play professional football I will always leave my arm trailing and put my body more forward, much more chance of blocking the ball somehow

Agree here, when it comes to handball in the penalty box the lines become very blurred and it's essentially the refs discretion. Weirdly I think the ref poss didn't give it because the game got very frantic after trey scored and didn't feel like he could give a decision without being 100%. But I was down the other end so can't comment further until I see it.

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, mwram1973 said:

I agree, but you said his arm was by his side when it clearly wasn't. That offence could of easily been given. Also I can quickly side step without my hand fully extended and I'm 43 and 20 stone!!!. If i can do it i'm damn sure a young fit dude can. :p

Of course you can. Especially if you are worried it will cause a penalty to be given against your team. Unless there was some reason that having a trailing hand, therefore extending the area the ball cannot pass even if not "deliberately" was beneficial to you...

Happy with the draw. Our distribution was poor and our defending from set pieces woeful. We really rode our luck. The replay is a worry but I've got everything crossed. 

One thing, and yes I'm generalising here..... never known a bunch of plastics more than Leicester fans tonight...... inside and outside the ground, listening to them on way in and out was hilarious.....

Made me laugh too outside SS about 15 before KO, one older lad and his skin head son having a argument with a Derby fan and wanting "respect" and saying you don't talk to me like that and acting the big one..... pathetic from a bloke who must of been knocking way past 50 dressed as if he was 18. Got all mouthy when cops come over. 

3 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Agree here, when it comes to handball in the penalty box the lines become very blurred and it's essentially the refs discretion. Weirdly I think the ref poss didn't give it because the game got very frantic after trey scored and didn't feel like he could give a decision without being 100%. But I was down the other end so can't comment further until I see it.

Every decision a referee gives is up to him..... 

Just made it home. Superb from Derby, great atmosphere (at least from where I was in the South Stand). Thought we looked hungry, hassled them in midfield and made it tough for them to play their game. Keogh and Pearce excellent. Hughes class in the middle, and the front three of Bent, Ince and Russell worked tirelessly all game. 

Can't wait for Cardiff in a couple of weeks time, which is the next I'll make it to. 

Also really enjoyed the Johnny Russell song, to the tune of 'Heartbeat'. Not heard that one before! Top stuff, proud to be a Ram tonight. 

25 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

In the second half you would. We played like a battling Championship side for most of the second half. We didn't even attempt to hold on to possession or press high. We just cleared our lines and retreated.

From 10 minutes onwards until half-time I thought we were fantastic.

But the difference in class showed second half. We didn't attempt to outfootball them. We looked knackered and very negative (understandable considering the gulf in quality).

We played from 65 minutes onwards how you'd expect to play in the final 5 minutes. Our defence were out on their feet at the end as Mahrez and Drinkwater just waltzed through.

Spot on, my thoughts exactly.

1 minute ago, Mafiabob said:

Every decision a referee gives is up to him..... 

Er, yeah? And? I said in the box the ruling isn't overly clear because it starts to fall into the category of stopping a goal scoring opportunity? So that's why you see some refs give it and not others? I thought Clatternberg did a good job overall, just can't understand why he didn't book Chilwell in the 1st half.

i can bold random words too!

One thing about handball that gets on my nerves that I'm hearing  here - 'his hands weren't by his side' or they weren't in a 'natural position'. This is even said when players are sprinting and stretching which is incredible.

But even so. Hold your hands by your sides, how much space do they take up? Mine are 24 inches round like Hulk Hogan. Do you know what happens to them if I raise them at a 45 degree angle? They're still 24 inches round like Hulk Hogan. I haven't actually made a bigger target by putting my arms out. It's a bit like the Archimedes principle.

I didn't think it was a penalty today. I also think Darren Bent had a perfectly good goal chalked off against Leeds. His right arm was precisely where you'd expect it to be when he's jumping. If it had hit his left arm I'd have given handball. But it hit his right so the goal should have stood.

If a player moves their hand towards the ball them that's different. But players who put their arms behind their backs are no longer totally commited to playing football. They're doing something else. Ban 'em I say.

3 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Er, yeah? And? I said in the box the ruling isn't overly clear because it starts to fall into the category of stopping a goal scoring opportunity? So that's why you see some refs give it and not others? I thought Clatternberg did a good job overall, just can't understand why he didn't book Chilwell in the 1st half.

i can bold random words too!

Fair enough 

The positive from this result and WBA is that i dont think there is much between the bottom 6 prem sides and top six championship sides

if hull were in the championship they could easily be top of the league or 7th and if a newcastle of brighton were in the prem they could potentially be  anywhere from the bottom to 15th in the prem

i genuinely think the gap between championship & prem isnt as big as it used to be & if we went up we'd potentially only need a couple of quality signings to survive 

it would be difficult but i dont think we'd get pumped everyweek like we did under davis & jewell

I can't help but feel disappointed to be honest. Up until around 70 minutes, I was immensely proud, but the way we sat deep, and invited pressure, was suicidal. Bent was hanging out his arse and the Vydra/Camara subs should have been made 10 minutes before. They were there for the taking but in true Derby fashion we imploded by leaving their main areal threat wide open. 

12 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Kicked off by the Merlin. Loads nicked. Never seen anything like that at PP

Some stupid policing after the game.The police stopped any Derby fans from going through the gap in the steel fence behind the South Stand to get to the car park. They then funnelled all the Derby fans right towards the velodrome. After about fifty yards they bizarrely forced the streams of home and away fans together - with any Derby fans needing to get back to the East or South car parks, or wanting to get around to the river path, having to push back against the flow of Leicester fans.

Whichever senior officer who made that decision needs to face disciplinary action. It was a recipe for disaster, whether from violence or just an accident.

Just home, pleased with effort, shame about the own goal

carson one great save

baird - excellent 

keogh - decent

pearce- decent

ollson - excellent

johnson- excellent 

hughes - excellent- worrying injury

bryson - he really is building up

ince- decent but shut out

bent - played well great goal, sad og 

russell - carrying a bad kneee by the looks of it, nearly got on the end of one

subs- camara short effort but lively 

Vydra - nothing

butterfield - disappointing didn't contribute anywhere near to Hughes level which was a shame.

such a difference in effort than against Liverpool and Man U lately 

Archived