Derby County v Leicester City (FA Cup) - Match Day Thread

DEL

15 minutes ago, SK47 said:

Disappointed we didnt hold on to the draw,  but also refreshing watching us play Leicester and not getting torn apart.  

P. S Hughes is the greatest player to ever walk the earth ?

Did I miss something. I thought we did draw!

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, DerbyRam! said:

The problem is, I've seen that given hundreds of times, and can you say it isn't intentional???

If I was a defender there is definitely a certain way I would play if I could get away with that every week....and of course, it wouldn't be deliberate! so ref don't give any penalties against me.

Would you be one of those that puts your hands behind your back? 

20 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Yeah, of course. I dont think it was handball.

It was harsh as it looked like the shot was heading in, but his hand was by his side. 

Do you honestly watch the matches?? his arm couldn't have been anymore stretched out. I've seen them given and i've seen them not but to say it was by his side tells me you didn't watch the game... or your ****** blind! 

Just now, Millenniumram said:

Exactly what I've been saying, the fact its by his side before the ball is hit and then he moves it out makes it a clear handball in my view

Clattenberg bottled it. Razza was trying to curl it into the far corner and a large hand prevented it. I see Leicester s next game is v the Harlem globetrotters.?

7 minutes ago, DerbyRam! said:

Does it matter? His hand was away from his body and clearly stopped a goal scoring opportunity? Fair enough if it was close to his body and hit at him....but that was certainly not the case. If it wasn't a penalty, I guess if i ever play professional football I will always leave my arm trailing and put my body more forward, much more chance of blocking the ball somehow

Of course it matters. Go and read the laws of the game. It's Law 12 'Fouls and Misconduct'

Just now, LesterRam said:

It was nice to see us on the BBC in a hard fought old fashioned tie, you wouldn't know who was the Premier league side if you were a neutral.

In the second half you would. We played like a battling Championship side for most of the second half. We didn't even attempt to hold on to possession or press high. We just cleared our lines and retreated.

From 10 minutes onwards until half-time I thought we were fantastic.

But the difference in class showed second half. We didn't attempt to outfootball them. We looked knackered and very negative (understandable considering the gulf in quality).

We played from 65 minutes onwards how you'd expect to play in the final 5 minutes. Our defence were out on their feet at the end as Mahrez and Drinkwater just waltzed through.

2 minutes ago, mwram1973 said:

Do you honestly watch the matches?? his arm couldn't have been anymore stretched out. I've seen them given and i've seen them not but to say it was by his side tells me you didn't watch the game... or your ****** blind! 

Like I said, it's all-but impossible to sidestep in any direction without your arm moving away from your side. Huth had his arm down, and when moving to his left, his right arm naturally separated from his side.

You can't give penalties for handball for natural body movement.

Unnatural would be his arms above his waistline, or worse up at his shouler level.

We were very fortunate to escape with a draw.

A game between two noticeably average teams and one in which we rode our luck a little, as Leicester were marginally better.

Their pressing made sure we never settled into a rhythm and we always looked vulnerable from set-pieces and crosses, and of course when they broke at pace.

I can't fault the effort or the desire but the two goals aside, there was a distinct lack of quality and composure from us. Hughes's injury only amplified that.

It's a shame because had we performed at the level we are capable of, Leicester looked there to be shot at.

I can't see us getting much joy out of the replay, but stranger things have happened.

Cracking game of football really enjoyed it.....

Fair result in the end, can't fault one player. Good old cup tie.

Didnt think it was a pen looking back at it for handball, even though you shout for it. Some are given,some are not. Tight call but hey can't complain much.

Olson and Baird my pics for MOM.

Nice to see Bryson of old. 

1 minute ago, Mafiabob said:

Cracking game of football really enjoyed it.....

Fair result in the end, can't fault one player. Good old cup tie.

Didnt think it was a pen looking back at it for handball, even though you shout for it. Some are given,some are not. Tight call but hey can't complain much.

Olson and Baird my pics for MOM.

Nice to see Bryson of old. 

Great goal by Bryson but invisible otherwise. I thought Johnson was off his game too. But I still think we were solid enough in open play. Got done by corners where we were a joke.

4 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Like I said, it's all-but impossible to sidestep in any direction without your arm moving away from your side. Huth had his arm down, and when moving to his left, his right arm naturally separated from his side.

You can't give penalties for handball for natural body movement.

Unnatural would be his arms above his waistline, or worse up at his shouler level.

I agree, but you said his arm was by his side when it clearly wasn't. That offence could of easily been given. Also I can quickly side step without my hand fully extended and I'm 43 and 20 stone!!!. If i can do it i'm damn sure a young fit dude can. :p

- Hughes: Immense - we must keep hold of him. Had Drinkwater and King on toast.

- Disappointing ways to concede.

- Bent's header was a typical Bent header.

- Bryson's goal was superb.

- We noticeably tired after 65 minutes.

- BBC camera work was irritating.

- Realised the man I watched the game with is your archetypal "Too easy Derby", "Too much space", "Lucky to get away with that" type fan. Had an argument half way through and got the hump.

- Glad we showed there wasn't much of a gulf in class between the sides.

- Draw was fair. We had some lucky escapes, but I'm adamant that Huth handballed it and Russell should have scored that header.

- Back 5 were collectively good, Johnson had a tough task tracking two runners from deep and left us a bit open in the centre at times. Hughes going off probably cost us the win. Pleased Bryson was able to make an impact. 

- Finally broken the Leicester on TV gypsy curse.

- Great cup tie for the neutral - far more entertaining than Millwall v Watford and Manchester United v Wigan will ever be.

My final comment for tonight....

Carson - MOM

Got lucky that some of the shots were straight at him, but pulled off that save in the first half from Okazaki and the first 3-4 shots in the second half - absolute class and somehow we didn't concede. Even if it was poor finishing, he almost held out completely.

Archived