Derby County v Leicester City (FA Cup) - Match Day Thread

DEL

3 minutes ago, G-Ram said:

The positive from this result and WBA is that i dont think there is much between the bottom 6 prem sides and top six championship sides

if hull were in the championship they could easily be top of the league or 7th and if a newcastle of brighton were in the prem they could potentially be  anywhere from the bottom to 15th in the prem

i genuinely think the gap between championship & prem isnt as big as it used to be & if we went up we'd potentially only need a couple of quality signings to survive 

it would be difficult but i dont think we'd get pumped everyweek like we did under davis & jewell

Agree on the whole, the big thing for me that in the prem you tend to get more time/space. Hughes had a lot more time on the ball tonight and looked class. In the champ he doesn't get that time nearly as much.

i hope the past two games will rekindle that desire and bravery to push them up the league.

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

Some stupid policing after the game.The police stopped any Derby fans from going through the gap in the steel fence behind the South Stand to get to the car park. They then funnelled all the Derby fans right towards the velodrome. After about fifty yards they bizarrely forced the streams of home and away fans together - with any Derby fans needing to get back to the East or South car parks, or wanting to get around to the river path, having to push back against the flow of Leicester fans.

Whichever senior officer who made that decision needs to face disciplinary action. It was a recipe for disaster, whether from violence or just an accident.

Bang on mate. There was also about 5 coppers separating thousands of fans. A bit silly

We berate the offside law for the following:

"Was he interfering was he not?"

If you're offside YOU'RE OFFSIDE.

Same with handball. None of this "didn't mean it' or "hand in an a unatural position."

If it hits your hand IT'S HANDBALL.

Why have we applied all the intentional/positional bullhooks. 

Change is not good.

Penalty.

2 minutes ago, IronRam 70.3 said:

Same with handball. None of this "didn't mean it' or "hand in an a unatural position."

Change is not good.

Penalty.

Didn't realise forum posts were archived from 1987 to be released now..... 

3 minutes ago, IronRam 70.3 said:

Change is not good.

Penalty.

Handball has always been the intentional movement of the arm towards the ball, hence the phrase 'Ball to hand, rather than hand to ball'.

It would be an easier game to understand if every contact between ball and hand was handball, but then what would we talk about?

I see no changing of the rule, or how it's applied.

11 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Just home, pleased with effort, shame about the own goal

carson one great save

baird - excellent 

keogh - decent

pearce- decent

ollson - excellent

johnson- excellent 

hughes - excellent- worrying injury

bryson - he really is building up

ince- decent but shut out

bent - played well great goal, sad og 

russell - carrying a bad kneee by the looks of it, nearly got on the end of one

subs- camara short effort but lively 

Vydra - nothing

butterfield - disappointing didn't contribute anywhere near to Hughes level which was a shame.

such a difference in effort than against Liverpool and Man U lately 

Agree with everything except the rating for Johnson. I thought he did some decent stuff but also went in for some rash challenges high up and got bypassed way too easily. 

So it would be a decent from me.

Enjoyed the game very much but it did highlight our issues. No natural cdm  (Johnson not really it). No decent backup for Will. We miss the one touch football that could pick apart teams. Johnnys running into people. Not convinced we are quite as fit as we were a couple of seasons back.

Still a great game. And particularly good to see the genuine mutual warmth and appreciation between ranieri and mcclaren at the final whistle. A refreshing change from the surly backbiting and pushing from the likes of wenger and mourinho.

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

In the second half you would. We played like a battling Championship side for most of the second half. We didn't even attempt to hold on to possession or press high. We just cleared our lines and retreated.

From 10 minutes onwards until half-time I thought we were fantastic.

But the difference in class showed second half. We didn't attempt to outfootball them. We looked knackered and very negative (understandable considering the gulf in quality).

We played from 65 minutes onwards how you'd expect to play in the final 5 minutes. Our defence were out on their feet at the end as Mahrez and Drinkwater just waltzed through.

Yes but Will held up well against a current England International and we looked a different proposition after he went off, obviously they had a stronger bench and playing premiership football gives you a huge fitness edge, it was a good game of entertaining football.

46 minutes ago, TroyDyer said:

I can't help but feel disappointed to be honest. Up until around 70 minutes, I was immensely proud, but the way we sat deep, and invited pressure, was suicidal. Bent was hanging out his arse and the Vydra/Camara subs should have been made 10 minutes before. They were there for the taking but in true Derby fashion we imploded by leaving their main areal threat wide open. 

To be fair we played the last 20 minutes without hughes ... Which also affected our ability to make subs. We did well against the premier league champs . We were not quite good enough to beat them. 

Archived