Ryan Mason 'fighting for his life'

Cam the Ram

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/ryan-mason-suffers-fractured-skull-9674938?x

Ryan Mason is fighting for his life after suffering a fractured skull and bleeding on the brain from a sickening clash of heads with Gary Cahill.

The 25-year-old was taken to hospital following the nasty collision in the first half of Sunday's game at Stamford Bridge.

Mason got clattered going up for a header with the Chelsea defender, who also required treatment on the field.

Cahill was able to carry on, but the Tiger was taken to St Mary's Hospital with a serious head injury.

Speaking after the game, manager Marco Silva said: "I imagine in this moment that he will stay in hospital. I hope nothing special, nothing serious, but we'll see.

"I don't know (if he is awake). He doctor told me he was in the hospital and we await news.”

Referee Neil Swarbrick had stopped play as medics rushed on to the field to attend to Mason, giving him oxygen and putting his neck in a brace.

Bloody hell, the poor lad.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's no mention in the article that it's actually life threatening. Obviously a horrible, serious clash of heads, but I really hope the 'fighting for his life' comment is just the Mirror trying to sensationalise the story.

1 hour ago, Cam the Ram said:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/ryan-mason-suffers-fractured-skull-9674938?x

Ryan Mason is fighting for his life after suffering a fractured skull and bleeding on the brain from a sickening clash of heads with Gary Cahill.

The 25-year-old was taken to hospital following the nasty collision in the first half of Sunday's game at Stamford Bridge.

Mason got clattered going up for a header with the Chelsea defender, who also required treatment on the field.

Cahill was able to carry on, but the Tiger was taken to St Mary's Hospital with a serious head injury.

Speaking after the game, manager Marco Silva said: "I imagine in this moment that he will stay in hospital. I hope nothing special, nothing serious, but we'll see.

"I don't know (if he is awake). He doctor told me he was in the hospital and we await news.”

Referee Neil Swarbrick had stopped play as medics rushed on to the field to attend to Mason, giving him oxygen and putting his neck in a brace.

Bloody hell, the poor lad.

Hope all will be well and his family get through this.

I think the Mirror have over egged the news somewhat. They are the only news outlet that decided to be quite so dramatic which strikes me as going for the clicks off the back of a really nasty injury. Maybe I am just being too sceptical as per usual!

I hope he makes a full recovery and can get back to playing as soon as possible, he looks to have been treated quickly and efficiently so at least he has that going for him.

23 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I think the Mirror have over egged the news somewhat. They are the only news outlet that decided to be quite so dramatic which strikes me as going for the clicks off the back of a really nasty injury. Maybe I am just being too sceptical as per usual!

I hope he makes a full recovery and can get back to playing as soon as possible, he looks to have been treated quickly and efficiently so at least he has that going for him.

I heard Darren Lewis answer this question on Talk Sport and he defended his paper but slightly awkwardly. His response was that all of the details were factually correct at the time it went online. Also that the reporter is separate from the actual headline writer, so the headline is out of the reporter's hands.

Presumably as a headline writer 'Mason gets a bad knock to the head' isn't quite as attention grabbing...so not really their fault either, they are just doing their job. 

Where it gets bit difficult is the moral code of the overall editor desperate for readers but knowing that friends /relatives may see that and without knowing the up to date info be traumatised! 

23 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Also the tabloid need for a headline pun would have looked rather bad in retrospect it had been 'life-threatening'. Thankfully it isnt...

So I'm thinking

'A Hull of a headache'.

Or

'On my head Ma-son'

Sorry!

Archived