Birmingham after Johnny Russell

Day

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, RamsPolls said:

You do realise that Ince plays on the RW?

He goes missing in games when on the left, He is our best RW.

Errr.  Yes.  You've totally lost me

I would like Ince plus AN Other for RW (Blackman not answer for me)

I am happy with Anya, camara, weimann,  Vydra for left wing. 

I don't think we need Russell 

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

FIFY Now how do they compare to JR?

You've edited my response to say goals rather than opinions.

But even were you to say assists / goals,  Russell isn't performing on that basis this year either

10 minutes ago, feisty said:

I disagree. Think camara, anya better for me. Game of opinions. Respect you think differently

I should probably have said "they all seem to be behind Russell in McClaren's pecking order"

Anya flatters to deceive... He runs a lot but his crossing is WOEFUL... And Camara can cross, dribble and is very fast... But can't track back and is a bit of a luxury...

1 hour ago, feisty said:

Errr.  Yes.  You've totally lost me

I would like Ince plus AN Other for RW (Blackman not answer for me)

I am happy with Anya, camara, weimann,  Vydra for left wing. 

I don't think we need Russell 

Right that clears things up a little.

Don't think we need another RW as Anya, Weimann & Camara can all play there. 

Russell is the player we can get the most money for so I say we let him go and bring in some real quality.

Sako would be perfect, he's the style of player that we are missing. Powerful and can actually go past a man. 

Just now, RamsPolls said:

Russell is the player we can get the most money for so I say we let him go and bring in some real quality.

ASSUMING we could get someone... 

Why do people seem to have this thing about selling people before we get a replacement! There is ZERO guarantee that we could get someone better in... There may not be any available, they may not want to play for us AND we're in a league/market at the moment where there are several teams who are throwing more money at players than us...

For someone who plays in a very attacking position in an attacking team (most of the time) during his time here, 28 goals in 160 appearances is pretty poor. Offers a lot of work rate but I want my winger to get the ball and attack their full backs and to make runs in behind to stretch the defence, for me Russell comes inside way too much and rarely runs at his full back - work rate alone isn't good enough in the position he plays, Russell is a better version of Ward, we need better than both of them if we want to challenge for promotion.

13 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

For someone who plays in a very attacking position in an attacking team (most of the time) during his time here, 28 goals in 160 appearances is pretty poor. Offers a lot of work rate but I want my winger to get the ball and attack their full backs and to make runs in behind to stretch the defence, for me Russell comes inside way too much and rarely runs at his full back - work rate alone isn't good enough in the position he plays, Russell is a better version of Ward, we need better than both of them if we want to challenge for promotion.

He's played 10,001 minutes of football for us which is 111.1 lots of 90, just to be fair. And you're doing him a massive disservice ignoring his 27 assists. 

2 hours ago, cheron85 said:

I should probably have said "they all seem to be behind Russell in McClaren's pecking order"

Anya flatters to deceive... He runs a lot but his crossing is WOEFUL... And Camara can cross, dribble and is very fast... But can't track back and is a bit of a luxury...

Totally agree with you here. For better or worse Russell is the 2nd best wide forward we have available. He has a better track record than any other wide player in the squad bar Ince and we know he can play in our system on either flank. There are plenty of wide players in the squad that on current evidence should be let go before Russell, even if we basically have to give them away. I do think we need to bring in a better player than him to play LW but I'd still want Russell for the squad.

The only logical argument I can see for selling him is to raise funds for a better player but surely we have enough in the kitty to not be forced into doing that ? If we do it will only go to underline how awful our transfer dealings have been since McClaren left. Also people seem to be seriously undervaluing how much he should go for in the crazy market, the same market where Anya is £4M and Blackman is worth £3.5M with 6 months left on his contract. If (and it's a big if) we do decide to sell him I'd want a minimum of £4M because we'd not only need to go buy someone who could make a serious impact on the first team but also a squad player better than what we currently have.

Just now, cannable said:

He's played 10,001 minutes of football for us which is 111.1 lots of 90, just to be fair. And you're doing him a massive disservice ignoring his 27 assists. 

not really a disservice when you consider Ince in the same role has scored more goals in nearly half the amount of games?

Just now, DCFC1388 said:

not really a disservice when you consider Ince in the same role has scored more goals in nearly half the amount of games?

Nobody is debating whether he or Ince is the better player. Ince is arguably the best wide forward in the league. What Russell is, is a solid championship wide forward who we know can play in our system and is the 2nd best wide forward in the squad.

Johnny is the best left winger we have. Sell him and we weaken the team. None of the others offer the combination of benefits that he provides. They've all got their price, but we'd have to replace.

1 minute ago, brady1993 said:

Nobody is debating whether he or Ince is the better player. Ince is arguably the best wide forward in the league. What Russell is, is a solid championship wide forward who we know can play in our system and is the 2nd best wide forward in the squad.

That was 3 years ago? He has had plenty of chances in that same system this season under Mc and not provided the same quality as before.

I used Ince's stats as he is the only player Russell can be fairly judged against in our team as he plays the same position as Johnny and had a consistent run - plenty on here comparing Russell to Camara, Weimann, Anya + Blackman yet none of them have had the same chance under Mc than what Johnny has so they cannot be fairly judged against Russell.

Minutes     Goals   (MPG)      Assists (MPA)

Ince               7292        32       (227.87)    12   (607.66)

Russell         10181        29      (351.06)     27  (377.07)

Anya              906          1         (906)         1     (906)

Weimann       1808        4          (452)        0     (1808)

Camara          579           0       (579)          3   (193)

Blackman      1087         1         (1087)      0      (1087)

All stats taken from Transfermarkt so not sure how accurate they are but thought it would be worth putting the stats up. Quite shocked at the amount of assists Ince has, thought he would have had more.

Archived