Perspective

Bris Vegas

4 minutes ago, McLovin said:

We should just get Nigel clough on our recruitment team!

The strongest XI Bris posted above still has 5 clough signings in it, 4 years after he was sacked. If that's not a damning indictment of our recruitments since, I don't know what is.  Assuming we class Ince as a McClaren signing, he has 3 and clement has 3 as well. 

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Yep. Before anybody gets their knickers in a twist, we were missing up to eight first-team players tonight. Yeah we made Leeds look like a top-flight side, but with that XI out there we would have made Wigan look like a top-flight side too.

There is little doubt this is our best starting XI when all available and fit.

Carson, Christie, Pearce, Keogh, Forsyth, Thorne, Hughes, Butterfield, Ince, Russell, Martin - 433.

Only three of those players started against Leeds.

And even with that team above, the midfield is still unbalanced (need an AM to replace Butterfield) and we could arguably get improvements on both Russell and Christie too.

Some perspective is needed. We are miles off the 2013/14 side. McClaren has a big summer ahead and it's evident from tonight against Leeds that we have so much deadwood to ship out. 

How turgid were we? And then think the likes of Blackman, Weimann and Vydra couldn't get in to that XI.

Patience is needed. 

I agree with this but I think Johnson would be in ahead of butterfield. Also Pearce and russell were unused subs,so very odd team selection from Mac. 

10 minutes ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

Well put, it's a bad day at the office with what in reality is nowhere near our first choice 11 starting or finishing this evening. 

Agreed. Some of us, myself included, have overreacted a little. Unfortunately SM is a victim of his own success. Instead of that amazing unbeaten run (even some of those we weren't brilliant) if we'd had a steady improvement up the table with a few wins, draws and defeats we'd probably all be reacting a little calmer and just be grateful that, with a pretty makeshift (albeit expensive) team we survived a mauling by a very good leeds team with only a one nil defeat. 

LazloW agrees with BrisVegas shocker! 

We cannot meltdown after every defeat. Consider the context. Like it or not Leeds are a good side, we had a stinker of a start, we have no left back, we have injuries galore and we are still recovering from the good work of the last two managers.

58 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Yep. Before anybody gets their knickers in a twist, we were missing up to eight first-team players tonight. Yeah we made Leeds look like a top-flight side, but with that XI out there we would have made Wigan look like a top-flight side too.

Carson, Christie, Pearce, Keogh, Forsyth, Thorne, Hughes, Butterfield, Ince, Russell, Martin - 433.

And even with that team above, the midfield is still unbalanced (need an AM to replace Butterfield) and we could arguably get improvements on both Russell and Christie too.

Some perspective is needed. We are miles off the 2013/14 side. McClaren has a big summer ahead and it's evident from tonight against Leeds that we have so much deadwood to ship out. 

How turgid were we? And then think the likes of Blackman, Weimann and Vydra couldn't get in to that XI.

Patience is needed. 

Correct Bris... But, it still really hurts v Leeds. Ouch and urghhhhhh spring to mind!! 

1 hour ago, McLovin said:

We have different interpretations of exceptional. He played very well against Hull at home in the 4-0 and looked like his old self in terms of pressing but in the game against Brighton away and against Sheffield Wednesday  he was anonymous, although Hughes was outstanding that day against Brighton so this overlooked Bryson's performance  a bit. I'm not scapegoating Bryson btw. I just think it might be best to move on because he isn't the same player he was due to his age . We could get a younger and better version in Hourihane but knowing our recruitment team they probably haven't even heard of him

I do think you're being overly critical on him but fair enough, he certainly hasn't been the player he once was. I'd put it more down to our team being chopped up at different periods through either injury or selection but either way he hasn't been his old self. I'm not sure Butterfield is the answer either way, I do like him but I find him extremely frustrating. I think I'd rather see Johnson there instead.

Yep, we are missing a centre forward who can score goals and hold the ball up for the team plus we are missing both attacking full backs due to injury with the ever missing Thorne but we are also missing a tall strong international midfielder who we sold to Burnley and didn't replace with anyone because we overspent on average in the last three transfer windows.

we look unbalanced far to frequently 

Persepective... weve been **** for years.. lasr time we were decent eranio played for us... win or lose it just nice to be towards the right end of the league & in with a shout... something to get excited about instead of mid table... we've been spoilt the last few years... bring back jewell & the three amigos 

3 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Patience is needed. 

Whilst I agree, the problem is that we've had a "big transfer window ahead of us" to improve the squad for 3 years now. 

There comes a point where you just don't compete for promotion any more and that point is getting closer and closer!

It's time to settle down for a bit of disappointing drop in form, we'll then rally at some point and win a few. 

We've lost 2 games on the trot with poor performances.

Win the next two and it'll all be happy again.

In the big picture, we've managed to ruin the 13/14 side. We've a bloated squad of ok championship players who struggle to make a team.

The way forward is Mac's job to sort out, but, as far as I can see it, we need to stop spending big dollar, get a focus on what we want to be as a club, let the big contracts run down or sell as long as the hit isn't too high.

We're headed for a bit of austerity in my mind - and better to do it now than when the FFP police come knocking. Balance the transfer fees, sign the right player rather than "he's good buy him"

7 hours ago, CHCDerby said:

Yeah I'm not sure why Russell didn't come on instead of Vydra

If would have made no difference. If the ref had spotted Brysons elbow he would have been sent off. Had he spotted Ince kicking that defender, him too possibly. So 10 v 8 it could have ended. I do agree though terrible challenge 

not signed a decent player since wisdom thorne and bamford.they were class for this league.manager/s must be held responsible for transfer policy.what does evans do,clemence was useless but this type of performance happened before under McLaren [forest at home and others]. last night was men v children.what has pearce done wrong, he should be first name on team sheet.

5 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

In the big picture, we've managed to ruin the 13/14 side. We've a bloated squad of ok championship players who struggle to make a team.

Morris and his ego? Look at me with all my money. Classic case of all the gear and no idea.

Archived