Perspective

Bris Vegas

2 hours ago, Ewe Ram said:

Because he was always going to go to Newcastle. Do you enjoy splitting hairs or is it a real pain? 

He wasn't, he was committed to the club when he was sacked.

He was sacked because in Mel's eyes, he was committing due to a sense of duty, rather than really wanting to be here.

Personally, I think it's a great thing that he put his personal ambition on the back burner to fulfil his contractual obligations, but it wasn't enough to save him the chop.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

He was sacked because in Mel's eyes, he was committing due to a sense of duty, rather than really wanting to be here.

Personally, I think it's a great thing that he put his personal ambition on the back burner to fulfil his contractual obligations, but it wasn't enough to save him the chop.

For what it's worth I'd have done exactly what Mel did. Ever tried to manage someone who doesn't want to be there? 

1 minute ago, Ewe Ram said:

For what it's worth I'd have done exactly what Mel did. Ever tried to manage someone who doesn't want to be there? 

No, I'm a simple man who follows orders, not gives them out.

He did want to be there though, which was my point!

Mel the mind-reader decided he didn't, leading to us wasting the last 18 months of our time, and his money.

14 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

No, I'm a simple man who follows orders, not gives them out.

He did want to be there though, which was my point!

Mel the mind-reader decided he didn't, leading to us wasting the last 18 months of our time, and his money.

Hmm. Don't agree with you but as I know neither Steve or Mel i can only offer an opinion. I don't pay much attention to who posts what on here but I'm guessing you're not a Mel fan. I don't feel 18 months of my time has been wasted, just the Pearson tenure. Now that I could take issue with Mel about. The rest of it is just part of being a football fan really 

28 minutes ago, Ewe Ram said:

Hmm. Don't agree with you but as I know neither Steve or Mel i can only offer an opinion. I don't pay much attention to who posts what on here but I'm guessing you're not a Mel fan. I don't feel 18 months of my time has been wasted, just the Pearson tenure. Now that I could take issue with Mel about. The rest of it is just part of being a football fan really 

I'm far from anti-Mel, just hope he learns from his mistakes so far.

The chief of which was getting rid of Mac in the 1st place.

11 hours ago, reveldevil said:

Very true, his error which he as admitted is not coming out and being direct and saying he had not interest in the newcastle role.

He did commit though and I was very surprised at the sacking as just after he committed there was some sort of public forum with Sam and Steve. I seem to recall the sacking coinicided with Mels appointment as chairman, but i could be wrong on this.

The reasons given at the time were not his lack of commitment more the collapse that season from being top to finishing 8th a matter of weeks.

I'm far from Mel's biggest fan but he made the right decision getting rid of McClaren at the time. Make no mistake about it, McClaren wanted to go to Newcastle. He was just biding his time so Mel would sack him which would give him the perfect excuse to go to Newcastle, getting a healthy pay packet in the process. Mel had to act so we could get a replacement in quickly (Clement) otherwise it would have put our plans for the pre season back even further. Right decision at the time. All from a reliable source. But they've made up now and everyone's a happy bunny, hopefully letting McClaren learn from his mistake that the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Perspective is that, despite all the money spent, the last two managerial appointments have hurt us significantly. The signing of players that don't appear to have settled, forgetting the system, and have gone backwards.

if you pair that with some of the old guard struggling, i.e Bryson and Russell, it means that we still look like a side that needs significant investment, which is emphasised when the injuries hit.

We haven't been good enough this season; despite the run, we still looked below par in the majority of those games.

Without significant improvement, note: improvement not investment, then I would back us to finish 8-10th. It's the same key positions that need looking at. 

Martin not coming back, or looking likely not coming back, means we should look to alternatives. I think our creativity in the final third and build up play going into the final third needs to be much, much better. 

I don't know what to expect of De Sart, excellent against WBA yet horrendous against Leeds. 

4 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I don't know what to expect of De Sart, excellent against WBA yet horrendous against Leeds. 

Don't think he stood a chance against Leeds. They sat a man on him and unless somebody gets Leeds going the other way then that man doesn't need to leave De Sart. Wasn't really an opportunity to shine for him. 

For the first 15 of the second half when Hughes made them nervous it seemed to give Bradley Johnson some room. Bryson and Johnson did nothing first half. 

Just remember him going side to side with Hernandez or Roofe glued to him. Shackell passing hospital balls everywhere so Leeds could trap us easy

On 1/14/2017 at 20:19, reveldevil said:

And how do you know that as fact? Or is it just your impression?

I really cannot be bothered with going through the same rubbish over and over again from the same people, but have two league defeats meant that the knives are coming out for Steve McClaren again?

12 hours ago, McLovin said:

I'm far from Mel's biggest fan but he made the right decision getting rid of McClaren at the time. Make no mistake about it, McClaren wanted to go to Newcastle. He was just biding his time so Mel would sack him which would give him the perfect excuse to go to Newcastle, getting a healthy pay packet in the process. Mel had to act so we could get a replacement in quickly (Clement) otherwise it would have put our plans for the pre season back even further. Right decision at the time. All from a reliable source. But they've made up now and everyone's a happy bunny, hopefully letting McClaren learn from his mistake that the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

McClaren wanted to go to Newcastle BUT was staying. 

He was absolutely, 100% staying. 

He felt he owed us one and so was staying. 

Fans need to careful what the wish for, Mac is the right fit for us, he needs time to move some that are not quite good enough out and possibly bring in one or two which will be good enough here

A manager needs time to develop the team and move it forward, I wish fans would get the notion of promotion out of their heads for this season.

- Let Mac build a side capable of gaining promotion and sustaining our position in the prem -  this takes time, possibly 1 or 2 seasons - remember what Mel said regarding 2008 season!

On Monday, January 16, 2017 at 22:15, toddy said:

Fans need to careful what the wish for, Mac is the right fit for us, he needs time to move some that are not quite good enough out and possibly bring in one or two which will be good enough here

A manager needs time to develop the team and move it forward, I wish fans would get the notion of promotion out of their heads for this season.

- Let Mac build a side capable of gaining promotion and sustaining our position in the prem -  this takes time, possibly 1 or 2 seasons - remember what Mel said regarding 2008 season!

Again?

I'm pretty certain most of us had given up on promotion when we were mired in the relegation zone. Sorry I couldn't resist.

I could not agree more.

Incessantly switching managers every time we hit a tough patch has hardly worked wonders, has it? Clough (of the Nige variety) was the last manager we allowed to build a squad. That's a disgrace.

56 minutes ago, EssendonRam said:

Again?

I'm pretty certain most of us had given up on promotion when we were mired in the relegation zone. Sorry I couldn't resist.

I could not agree more.

Incessantly switching managers every time we hit a tough patch has hardly worked wonders, has it? Clough (of the Nige variety) was the last manager we allowed to build a squad. That's a disgrace.

To be fair, Clement and supposedly Pearson were brought in to continue building the squad and tried to rebuild it.

Archived