Jump to content

Perspective


Bris Vegas
 Share

Recommended Posts

Yep. Before anybody gets their knickers in a twist, we were missing up to eight first-team players tonight. Yeah we made Leeds look like a top-flight side, but with that XI out there we would have made Wigan look like a top-flight side too.

There is little doubt this is our best starting XI when all available and fit.

Carson, Christie, Pearce, Keogh, Forsyth, Thorne, Hughes, Butterfield, Ince, Russell, Martin - 433.

Only three of those players started against Leeds.

And even with that team above, the midfield is still unbalanced (need an AM to replace Butterfield) and we could arguably get improvements on both Russell and Christie too.

Some perspective is needed. We are miles off the 2013/14 side. McClaren has a big summer ahead and it's evident from tonight against Leeds that we have so much deadwood to ship out. 

How turgid were we? And then think the likes of Blackman, Weimann and Vydra couldn't get in to that XI.

Patience is needed. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, duncanjwitham said:

And don't forget that after 10 games were bottom 3 and looking at a relegation battle. The fact we're even talking about playoffs is a testament to how well mcclaren has done with an utter mess of a squad.

Absoloutely. He's done an amazing job considering.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I posted this in the other thread but only Derby can spend upwards of £50 million since 13/14 but end up going backwards! Team is completely unbalanced for me. The great unbeaten run was good an all but it covered over the cracks somewhat as we were keeping clean sheets and relying too heavily on Ince. That's impossible to maintain throughout the course of a season.Some have forgotten we are the second lowest scorers in the league, even Rotherham have scored more than us! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Yep. Before anybody gets their knickers in a twist, we were missing up to eight first-team players tonight. Yeah we made Leeds look like a top-flight side, but with that XI out there we would have made Wigan look like a top-flight side too.

There is little doubt this is our best starting XI when all available and fit.

Carson, Christie, Pearce, Keogh, Forsyth, Thorne, Hughes, Butterfield, Ince, Russell, Martin - 433.

Only three of those players started against Leeds.

And even with that team above, the midfield is still unbalanced (need an AM to replace Butterfield) and we could arguably get improvements on both Russell and Christie too.

Some perspective is needed. We are miles off the 2013/14 side. McClaren has a big summer ahead and it's evident from tonight against Leeds that we have so much deadwood to ship out. 

How turgid were we? And then think the likes of Blackman, Weimann and Vydra couldn't get in to that XI.

Patience is needed. 

As much as I agree that there's no need to overreact, that line-up you have is definitely subjective. Shackell was superb against WBA and Pearce has had a couple of dodgy games so it makes sense to rotate him. I'm also not sure Butterfield is in our strongest line-up ahead of Bryson also. Still, you're right and I thought Leeds looked excellent tonight, no problems with losing to them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, McLovin said:

I posted this in the other thread but only Derby can spend upwards of £50 million since 13/14 but end up going backwards! Team is completely unbalanced for me. The great unbeaten run was good an all but it covered over the cracks somewhat as we were keeping clean sheets and relying too heavily on since. That's impossible to maintain throughout the course of a season.Some have forgotten we are the second lowest scorers in the league, even Rotherham have scored more than us! 

And villa :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Im not saying this because of tonight but I'm saying this because of the last 3 seasons. We are not physically or mentally strong for promotion. Russel and Christie are poor. Bryson is past his best big time and needs replacing. Need at least 3 good players not another camara or blackman. Learn form you mistakes Derby buy 2 quality and not 6 average players 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, McLovin said:

I posted this in the other thread but only Derby can spend upwards of £50 million since 13/14 but end up going backwards!

If you compare new players to the players they were signed to replace, there's an almost perfect correlation, in that the more we've spent on them, the less they've actually improved the squad.  Carson and Pearce were genuinely good signing for nothing, and bairds a good squad player for the same.  Compare Shackell to Buxton, Vydra to Martin, butterfield to Hughes, Johnson to Hendrick/Bryson/whoever, Weimann to ward etc and it's amazing the cost to move backwards in almost every case.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, McLovin said:

I posted this in the other thread but only Derby can spend upwards of £50 million since 13/14 but end up going backwards! Team is completely unbalanced for me. The great unbeaten run was good an all but it covered over the cracks somewhat as we were keeping clean sheets and relying too heavily on since. That's impossible to maintain throughout the course of a season.Some have forgotten we are the second lowest scorers in the league, even Rotherham have scored more than us! 

On a bigger scale, Man Utd have spent about half a billion on their squad since 2012/13 (their last title win) and now they don't even look like a top four side.

We're not the only team in England to have squandered so much money on players who simply don't fit, but in the Championship we're definitely leading on that front.

It's incredible. I'd hazard a guess that a good number on this forum could have done a far better job with that sort of money at hand than our recruitment team over the past two years.

Who scouted Camara? How could they not see he has no football intelligence whatsoever? 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Yep. Before anybody gets their knickers in a twist, we were missing up to eight first-team players tonight. Yeah we made Leeds look like a top-flight side, but with that XI out there we would have made Wigan look like a top-flight side too.

There is little doubt this is our best starting XI when all available and fit.

Carson, Christie, Pearce, Keogh, Forsyth, Thorne, Hughes, Butterfield, Ince, Russell, Martin - 433.

Only three of those players started against Leeds.

And even with that team above, the midfield is still unbalanced (need an AM to replace Butterfield) and we could arguably get improvements on both Russell and Christie too.

Some perspective is needed. We are miles off the 2013/14 side. McClaren has a big summer ahead and it's evident from tonight against Leeds that we have so much deadwood to ship out. 

How turgid were we? And then think the likes of Blackman, Weimann and Vydra couldn't get in to that XI.

Patience is needed. 

Well put, it's a bad day at the office with what in reality is nowhere near our first choice 11 starting or finishing this evening. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also when Leeds came to PP they were quite poor and we managed to nick a goal out of nothing and win 1-0.

Fast forward to tonight.

We go to Leeds, play poorly and Leeds nick a goal and win 1-0. We're not a worse side than Leeds although we were tonight so yes, perspective.

Bad day at the office and tonight was pretty disturbing but we're still in the play off mix.

Can't afford too many performances like that though especially against play off rivals.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This January will be about signing players who will help nurture the football again. Our league position may well drop but I'd be expecting us to be building toward something akin to our 2013-2015 side again. 

I'm fully expecting results to sip but performances to improve.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, McLovin said:

Bryson wouldn't be in my starting 11, he hasn't played well for about 8-9 months

When we had our midfield of Thorne, Hughes and Bryson towards the end of last season he was exceptional (for the 3 odd games we had it). Give the man a proper target man to run off (Martin) and a proper defensive midfielder to protect him (Thorne) then I think we'll see a resemblance to the old Bryson. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The fact that this result is even depressing shows how far we're come. Challenging for the top six seemed a pipe dream when McClaren came in, especially as he's missing 2 of the key figures from his preferred system.

We've got a lot of shuffling to do in the summer window, but play off's are still a fairly likely possibility this season, and I'm not taking that for granted.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

If you compare new players to the players they were signed to replace, there's an almost perfect correlation, in that the more we've spent on them, the less they've actually improved the squad.  Carson and Pearce were genuinely good signing for nothing, and bairds a good squad player for the same.  Compare Shackell to Buxton, Vydra to Martin, butterfield to Hughes, Johnson to Hendrick/Bryson/whoever, Weimann to ward etc and it's amazing the cost to move backwards in almost every case.

We should just get Nigel clough on our recruitment team!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, lrm14 said:

When we had our midfield of Thorne, Hughes and Bryson towards the end of last season he was exceptional (for the 3 odd games we had it). Give the man a proper target man to run off (Martin) and a proper defensive midfielder to protect him (Thorne) then I think we'll see a resemblance to the old Bryson. 

We have different interpretations of exceptional. He played very well against Hull at home in the 4-0 and looked like his old self in terms of pressing but in the game against Brighton away and against Sheffield Wednesday  he was anonymous, although Hughes was outstanding that day against Brighton so this overlooked Bryson's performance  a bit. I'm not scapegoating Bryson btw. I just think it might be best to move on because he isn't the same player he was due to his age . We could get a younger and better version in Hourihane but knowing our recruitment team they probably haven't even heard of him

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.