Jump to content

Traveling Fans


1of4
 Share

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

I think the entire Hull v Swansea crowd was around 6000. Just a few more than our away contingent today.

Really sad to see for the competition. They got 23,000 for their home match against City. Against Crystal Palace, a team similar to Swansea in the PL this season, they still got 17,000. That's 11,000 people who decided that the FA Cup wasn't worth their time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Over 5000 Imps at Ipswich today.

What I fail to comprehend is that in two weeks time when they play Dover at Sincil Bank, there will be 3000 there.

Where do these extra 2000 and odd go when THAT game is played?

Doesn't make any sense.

If i was a Lincoln fan I'd go. If I wasn't a Lincoln fan but it was at home then I might go. If I wasn't a Lincoln fan and the game is away then why would I bother travelling all that way to watch a team i don't support because if I did support them then i'd be at the Dover game the following week?!!

It's like the Wembley finals. I've lived in Chesterfield for a few years now and a bit back they got to the JPT final at Wembley and there were tens of thousands of Spireites there! Where have they come from?!

Sure i live in the town, am a huge football fan and want to see local sides doing well but if I spent money and a whole day off going down to Wembley to watch a team I never go and watch when they play on my doorstep then I need to ask myself some pretty serious questions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, 1of4 said:

More Derby fans traveled to West Brom today than the total attendance that watched Wigan beat the gumps.

Cracking following from us but at the same time I'd say it's expected too. Forest are averaging a bigger away following than us this season so not quite sure what relevance today has. What are we gaining? Their 1500 at Wigan is decent considering the circumstances, let's not go over-blowing our own trumpet when next week we'll only be taking the same number to Leeds.... 

@Tony Le Mesmer It's the FA cup factor, always going to get plenty of day trippers. They had a good debate on this on TalkSport the other night, whilst it's brilliant these non league teams take away these numbers to the big clubs it is also disappointing to see the low crowds for their next home game. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Over 5000 Imps at Ipswich today.

What I fail to comprehend is that in two weeks time when they play Dover at Sincil Bank, there will be 3000 there.

Where do these extra 2000 and odd go when THAT game is played?

Doesn't make any sense.

If i was a Lincoln fan I'd go. If I wasn't a Lincoln fan but it was at home then I might go. If I wasn't a Lincoln fan and the game is away then why would I bother travelling all that way to watch a team i don't support because if I did support them then i'd be at the Dover game the following week?!!

It's like the Wembley finals. I've lived in Chesterfield for a few years now and a bit back they got to the JPT final at Wembley and there were tens of thousands of Spireites there! Where have they come from?!

Sure i live in the town, am a huge football fan and want to see local sides doing well but if I spent money and a whole day off going down to Wembley to watch a team I never go and watch when they play on my doorstep then I need to ask myself some pretty serious questions.

Teams like Chezza and Lincoln get 3,000 or so but not always the same 3,000, so over the course of a season they may get 5 or 6,000 supporters but not all at once. Also, a lot of people who once were regulars will have stopped going for whatever reasons but will turn out for the odd match or a Cup Final. Its always been the case.

I know people who were ST holders at Derby in the 1970's but drifted away and never came back as regulars. They will, however turn out for a play off final or this season's FA Cup Final, probably both.:D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well impressed by some attendances and in fact some of the starting line ups today. Some clubs are trying to keep the FA Cup a respectable comp.

As for Forest... joking aside I think our rivalry works because they are so similar to us. What's a couple of thousand people? We were at WBA and they were at Wigan. We are in a great run, they are very worried about the state of their club. Swap positions and circumstances and they'd take 5k plus while we took 1500

Obviously I'm not saying stop complimenting them on their lovely pink seats. But I'd probably not got OTT with it or start telling ourselves we're so much better than them. 

What is tragic is the Hull v Swansea game that Tony brought up.

6000 people between two Premier League clubs who's average attendances are what 17,000 and 20,000. That is terrible. It's not funny, it's sad.

The FA Cup! Fook whether Jose or Arsene etc rate it. It's a proper trophy. It leads to real European competition and that should be exciting to fans of Hull and Swansea because it's the biggest trophy and only route into Europe they can dream of. 

What other contest in the world will have a team so many tiers lower than another beating that team as frequently as in the FA Cup.

It's bad enough that some managers see it as a bad thing. No fans should. 

By staying in the PL Hull fans can look forward to high ticket prices and many defeats. By winning the FA Cup they lift a trophy at Wembley and get European away days. Maybe even AC Milan at home. 

The PL is worth big money to the club but fans won't get a penny of it. They should be in it for the fun and glory. I don't get the contempt

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Distance must also be a factor - Hull Swansea not an easy jorney and Norwich from anywhere is a pain! 

Lincoln fans made the effort because it's a big big match for them.

We had a perfect tie at a higher level club a short journey away with good transport links.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Alpha said:

The PL is worth big money to the club but fans won't get a penny of it. They should be in it for the fun and glory. I don't get the contempt

True but what they do see is their team competing against the best week in week out. 

After the busy festive period it's become a distraction, extra 90 minutes to lose players, Burton yesterday scrapping to stay in the Championship lose a new signing on his debut going off on a stretcher.

The financial rewards are much greater by staying in the Championship v a mini cup run and whilst fans don't see a penny of that money, they do see it invested in better players which = better football week in week out.

Palace were in the Championship just a few seasons ago, now they have a £30m Benteke.

Whilst yesterday was fun, it was also a missed opportunity to rest legs, bring through more young players, a win v Leeds on Friday will mean much more, those 3pts are huge. 

Be interesting if Wigan fans would give up that FA Cup to be back in the PL, If I was given a choice of winning the FA Cup this season or promotion I wouldn't need a second to think. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, angieram said:

Distance must also be a factor - Hull Swansea not an easy jorney and Norwich from anywhere is a pain! 

Lincoln fans made the effort because it's a big big match for them.

We had a perfect tie at a higher level club a short journey away with good transport links.

 

I know this thread is about away fans, but the home numbers are also way down at some clubs for the cup. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Alpha said:

Well impressed by some attendances and in fact some of the starting line ups today. Some clubs are trying to keep the FA Cup a respectable comp.

As for Forest... joking aside I think our rivalry works because they are so similar to us. What's a couple of thousand people? We were at WBA and they were at Wigan. We are in a great run, they are very worried about the state of their club. Swap positions and circumstances and they'd take 5k plus while we took 1500

Obviously I'm not saying stop complimenting them on their lovely pink seats. But I'd probably not got OTT with it or start telling ourselves we're so much better than them. 

What is tragic is the Hull v Swansea game that Tony brought up.

6000 people between two Premier League clubs who's average attendances are what 17,000 and 20,000. That is terrible. It's not funny, it's sad.

The FA Cup! Fook whether Jose or Arsene etc rate it. It's a proper trophy. It leads to real European competition and that should be exciting to fans of Hull and Swansea because it's the biggest trophy and only route into Europe they can dream of. 

What other contest in the world will have a team so many tiers lower than another beating that team as frequently as in the FA Cup.

It's bad enough that some managers see it as a bad thing. No fans should. 

By staying in the PL Hull fans can look forward to high ticket prices and many defeats. By winning the FA Cup they lift a trophy at Wembley and get European away days. Maybe even AC Milan at home. 

The PL is worth big money to the club but fans won't get a penny of it. They should be in it for the fun and glory. I don't get the contempt

You would think having got to the final recently, as well, that Hull fans would be more interested.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

People moan when top premier league teams rest players for the cup but if they didn't then draw permitting the semi finals would be between Arsenal, Chelsea, Man U and Liverpool.

There's a gulf in class which only large scale investment can match.

Yesterday was great fun but in truth we had a short purple patch and defended like hell for the rest. Our midfield was overrun because we struggled to keep the ball. 

I was berated for saying we needed new midfielders. Bryson and Butterfield aren't what we need to get up and stay up.

The cup still has magic but only if your club is still in.

The real business is over ten months in the league and we should focus our purchasing on those who can make and convert chances in order to get promoted.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, David said:

True but what they do see is their team competing against the best week in week out. 

After the busy festive period it's become a distraction, extra 90 minutes to lose players, Burton yesterday scrapping to stay in the Championship lose a new signing on his debut going off on a stretcher.

The financial rewards are much greater by staying in the Championship v a mini cup run and whilst fans don't see a penny of that money, they do see it invested in better players which = better football week in week out.

Palace were in the Championship just a few seasons ago, now they have a £30m Benteke.

Whilst yesterday was fun, it was also a missed opportunity to rest legs, bring through more young players, a win v Leeds on Friday will mean much more, those 3pts are huge. 

Be interesting if Wigan fans would give up that FA Cup to be back in the PL, If I was given a choice of winning the FA Cup this season or promotion I wouldn't need a second to think. 

 

Appreciate the point of view, but that simply translates as, it's always and only, about money. 

When does that stop? If we get promoted, it'd be good because we'd get more money. That means we'd just spend more money, in order to get..... More money. Does that ever end? Win the PL, then the CL?? 

Then you have to spend even more, to try and maintain it. 

For me, and maybe I'm in a minority of one, but there really is more to following Derby, or any other team, than that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, ketteringram said:

Appreciate the point of view, but that simply translates as, it's always and only, about money. 

When does that stop? If we get promoted, it'd be good because we'd get more money. That means we'd just spend more money, in order to get..... More money. Does that ever end? Win the PL, then the CL?? 

Then you have to spend even more, to try and maintain it. 

For me, and maybe I'm in a minority of one, but there really is more to following Derby, or any other team, than that. 

Football is a business so it always will be about money, will never stop. West Ham v Man City on the BBC says it all.

Whilst you are in the PL the financial rewards through TV deals and sponsorships/advertising are huge.

FA Cup winners this year will receive £1.8m, peanuts. You couldn't even afford a Nick Blackman with that.

You can earn that much with one group stage win in the Champions League. Each club can earn up to 12m euros just from the group stages.

Clubs do not survive on glory, until the FA Cup becomes more lucrative to clubs it will continue to be an insignificant competition in football today.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.