Traveling Fans

1of4

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Duracell said:

But January could be a recovery time from the Christmas period. That's the main gripe managers have - the congested festive schedule, then January brings two FA Cup fixtures and the return of European football.

Maybe it could be just the league that takes a break, with the FA Cup being the only competitive domestic football in January. Teams wouldn't have to worry about prioritising in the early round of the cup either.

I'm fine with things as they are, but a winter break wouldn't have to ruin everything.

European football starts again in February. It affects very few players. That tail shouldn't be allowed to wag the dog. That said, the number of games players play in those competitions is massive compared to previously. Bobby Charlton played in 45 European ties in 17 seasons at Man Utd; Paul Scholes 134 in 20 seasons; Wayne Rooney 96 in 13 seasons. If we want to reduce fixture congestion, that's the place to start (Rooney could have another 9 European fixtures this season)

26 minutes ago, Duracell said:

But January could be a recovery time from the Christmas period. That's the main gripe managers have - the congested festive schedule, then January brings two FA Cup fixtures and the return of European football.

Maybe it could be just the league that takes a break, with the FA Cup being the only competitive domestic football in January. Teams wouldn't have to worry about prioritising in the early round of the cup either.

I'm fine with things as they are, but a winter break wouldn't have to ruin everything.

But you just move the problem. It extends the season and then that will be another issue. Top players will have international issues. Soon football will be 12 months a year. No real answer I suppose.

Too many Competitions ?

8 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

But you just move the problem. It extends the season and then that will be another issue. Top players will have international issues. Soon football will be 12 months a year. No real answer I suppose.

Too many Competitions ?

The solution is probably to let all those tossers who periodically bring up a European Super League to go off and form it. Leave the proper football to the rest of us.

17 hours ago, Kernow said:

Really sad to see for the competition. They got 23,000 for their home match against City. Against Crystal Palace, a team similar to Swansea in the PL this season, they still got 17,000. That's 11,000 people who decided that the FA Cup wasn't worth their time.

They're on a boycott Kernow. Pissed off with the owners not the FA Cup.

7 minutes ago, Kernow said:

But they still turn up for the league games. 11,000 chose to boycott the cup game but not the league game.

Typical Yorkshire folk though. They've already shelled out for their season tickets so there's no way they'll miss any games no matter how strongly they feel. :lol:

(I'm a yorkshireman so am entitled to say this so.....:p)

So the game is all about money and being in the premiership is all that matters for some fans,so if we get to Wembley I'll be able to get a ticket quit easily as some people aren't bothered about the FA Cup and won't to go, I don't think so.

As for players being tired and needing a break don't make me laugh I played two matches on a Sunday admittedly at a very low level but I never felt tired and after working a 48 hour week and without the benefit of physical, medical and diet coaches.

12 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

As for players being tired and needing a break don't make me laugh I played two matches on a Sunday admittedly at a very low level but I never felt tired and after working a 48 hour week and without the benefit of physical, medical and diet coaches.

In that case we can let the players go out on a Friday night, get tanked up, finish the night on a kebab and play on an uneven dog ***** filled pitch the next day with a red faced overweight keeper.

Whats good for Sunday League is good for professional footballers right

Just now, David said:

In that case we can let the players go out on a Friday night, get tanked up, finish the night on a kebab and play on an uneven dog ***** filled pitch the next day with a red faced overweight keeper.

Seems to work ok at Forest. 

2 hours ago, David said:

£1.8m per group stage win.

Well there you go then, if it's all about money they have no need to worry about Premier League, just put a weak team out and shut up about it.

If they are winning that much from Champions League matches I am sure they can afford 2 decent players for each position.

Never mind the FA Cup's demise, I find it utterly disgraceful that when relatively small English clubs, on getting into the Europa League for the first time, field weaken teams to keep their squad fresh for the Premier League. European qualification happens once in a generation for many small English teams (if that) and it seems more important for clubs to finish mid-table in the Prem than it is to give it a go in europe for possibly the first and only time in their lives.

I've always said I would swap a run to the FA Cup final than promotion to the Premier League and a few years of mid-table obscurity.

What does everyone else think? 

1 hour ago, David said:

How dare you make assumptions of my lifestyle when I was younger ,8 pints of Double Diamond and a curry maybe but never a kebab.

51 minutes ago, The Key Club King said:

Never mind the FA Cup's demise, I find it utterly disgraceful that when relatively small English clubs, on getting into the Europa League for the first time, field weaken teams to keep their squad fresh for the Premier League. European qualification happens once in a generation for many small English teams (if that) and it seems more important for clubs to finish mid-table in the Prem than it is to give it a go in europe for possibly the first and only time in their lives.

I've always said I would swap a run to the FA Cup final than promotion to the Premier League and a few years of mid-table obscurity.

What does everyone else think? 

Agreed... Can never understand why you spend all season trying to qualify for something only to not take it seriously and trying to qualify for it again next year..

Another example of football moving forward but actually moving backwards.. Greed by UEFA, create a competition that allows teams from a huge geographical area to play each other during their own seasons. Worse still allowing the elite from the CL to go into it after they have failed in another competition.. We will have teams from China in it soon.. Still we need to move forward.

Would be better having a summer tournament for club sides every other year.. 

2 hours ago, David said:

To be fair they used to do that in the 80's and early 90's even and still put in wholehearted performances.

One example.

Paul McGrath

Players of that ilk. They'd be out all night but you could always rely on them AND they wouldn't moan about being tired.

6 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Agreed... Can never understand why you spend all season trying to qualify for something only to not take it seriously and trying to qualify for it again next year..

Another example of football moving forward but actually moving backwards.. Greed by UEFA, create a competition that allows teams from a huge geographical area to play each other during their own seasons. Worse still allowing the elite from the CL to go into it after they have failed in another competition.. We will have teams from China in it soon.. Still we need to move forward.

Would be better having a summer tournament for club sides every other year.. 

maybe the group stages should be regional. We could lumped in with say France, Belgium and Holland

Archived