The popside

dog

11 hours ago, dog said:

That Shane Nicholson goal. Had forgotten all about it. Goodness me, how we celebrated.  Went with three mates. Started together.  Found one another twenty minutes later. 

I went to that match straight from my part time job with the idea of meeting my mate in there - never did find him.  After one of the goals everyone celebrated and some bloke started nibbling my ear which was a bit odd.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Standing on a packed Vulcan Street Popside before kick off when stewards and the police stood on the touchline urging everyone to shuffle to the right so more fans could be squeezed in.

All the different towns and estates singing their names then everyone joining in with a massive Derby, clap clap clap.....why don't we do that anymore?

25 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Standing on a packed Vulcan Street Popside before kick off when stewards and the police stood on the touchline urging everyone to shuffle to the right so more fans could be squeezed in.

All the different towns and estates singing their names then everyone joining in with a massive Derby, clap clap clap.....why don't we do that anymore?

I remember the Heanor boys shouting "Ena" to which the response would be "Sharples".

2 minutes ago, ossieram said:

Enjoyed a few pitch invasions over the years and being perched on top of the fence as Arthur Cox and the boys paraded around the pitch. I'm the one in the black T shirt pointing at something.

popside.jpg

Proper times ,walked by a sign yesterday encouraging people to complain about bad language at a football match WTF.

Happy times, still can't believe that in the very early 90's you just used to be able to show your school bus pass and get in for nowt, load from school used to meet up outside Debenhams and just go to the game. Couldn't do that these days.

As for matches, I remember being 3-0 down to Sunderland and Deano got a hat-trick to bring us back to 3-3, as well as the Newcastle match just after Keegan had taken over for the first time and they had a few sent off and we won 5-2 I think?

Was also there for a game against Norwich where Robert Fleck was getting "You Fat Btard" at him all the time, he stopped running at one point on the wing, faced the popside lifted up his shirt rubbed his stomach and nodded, with the popside reciprocating and applauding him.

I remember the 'cockney reds'  of manure invading in the mid 70's, led by a big black guy in a blue vest. There was a stand off directly behind me and I froze with my back to a barrier, unable to move away. The popsiders were led by a lad with ginger curly hair and after a short period of bating each other, Ginger led the attack. As he got level with me he did a quick side step and stood next to me, while the rest of the popsiders piled into the manure fans. He looked at me and said 'f*** that for a game of soldiers'!

Those were the days.

I wonder if Ginger still goes.

1 hour ago, Mick Harford said:

Happy times, still can't believe that in the very early 90's you just used to be able to show your school bus pass and get in for nowt,

I used my school bus pass too. I think UB40s could get in too. We had a single turnstile.

1 hour ago, Mick Harford said:

Happy times, still can't believe that in the very early 90's you just used to be able to show your school bus pass and get in for nowt, load from school used to meet up outside Debenhams and just go to the game. Couldn't do that these days.

As for matches, I remember being 3-0 down to Sunderland and Deano got a hat-trick to bring us back to 3-3, as well as the Newcastle match just after Keegan had taken over for the first time and they had a few sent off and we won 5-2 I think?

Was also there for a game against Norwich where Robert Fleck was getting "You Fat Btard" at him all the time, he stopped running at one point on the wing, faced the popside lifted up his shirt rubbed his stomach and nodded, with the popside reciprocating and applauding him.

I used to work on the gate that let the school kids in with their bus pass...usedto make myself a few extra quid by letting regulars in for a reduced amount of a couple of pound....enough so I could buy the Ram magazine and a big bag of chips at Ripley Fish Bar when I got home. 

As everyone has said...happy days. 

The week after hillsbrough and we played sheff Wednesday with all the fences torn down, that mike mutes silence was the creepiest silence ever at a game. 

1 hour ago, Ken Tram said:

I used my school bus pass too. I think UB40s could get in too. We had a single turnstile.

Yep remember them days. The DET had a small advert saying you could use it the Friday before the match. Had to be there bloody ages before KO though. Moved it to the Ossie middle tier after a while.

It's kinda sad that my kids will never know what got me into football in the first place. It was more akin to being at a concert...trying to keep your feet and swaying forward as one when we attacked.  Sitting their with I-pads and a perfect view....may be easier but is it more rewarding? 

11 hours ago, Bridgford Ram said:

I went to that match straight from my part time job with the idea of meeting my mate in there - never did find him.  After one of the goals everyone celebrated and some bloke started nibbling my ear which was a bit odd.

Haha. Happened to me most weeks. ?

FA Cup 5th round v Coventry, 2-0 down after two Hoult clangers (the one where he wiped out Christian Dailly going for the ball actually made it on aunties sporting bloomers), came back to win 3-2 with Sturridge scoring winner late on. 

Worst memory, losing 6th round 2-0 to boro, days after being spanked 6-1 at their place. 

On 01/01/2017 at 13:29, ossieram said:

Enjoyed a few pitch invasions over the years and being perched on top of the fence as Arthur Cox and the boys paraded around the pitch. I'm the one in the black T shirt pointing at something.

popside.jpg

Ossie which game was that?  One of those fools looks like me.  I'd had 4 pints of old perculiar at the blessington so actual memory of the event is hazy apart from falling off of course

Archived