The popside

dog

23 minutes ago, Spanish said:

Ossie which game was that?  One of those fools looks like me.  I'd had 4 pints of old perculiar at the blessington so actual memory of the event is hazy apart from falling off of course

I reckon it's the 4-2 game v Plymouth. I personally know at least 6 on the fence as we all went together and the Osmaston Park hotel was our local.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 01/01/2017 at 16:27, Ken Tram said:

I used my school bus pass too. I think UB40s could get in too. We had a single turnstile.

Why would a pop band want to go in the popside?  Fulham 83 last game off season only one off a handful left on popside everyone else on the touchline and forest same year in cup couldn't see anything but what a day!

2 hours ago, ossieram said:

I reckon it's the 4-2 game v Plymouth. I personally know at least 6 on the fence as we all went together and the Osmaston Park hotel was our local.

Occasionally went in the Ossie Park around 79-82 period before matches. We'd come in convoy from Doveridge Working Mens club sometimes instead of the train and park at Normanton Barracks. We'd try a few pubs round there, Norman Arms, Sherwood Forrester etc then down to the Pear Tree or Baseball Hotel.

Had a huge brawl with Stoke in the Norman Arms on one of these occasions.

Happy days!

On 01/01/2017 at 09:29, RIMBAUD said:

mickey forsyth scoring against Liverpool was mental.

shane nicholson v shef wed.

christie - cool as custard

I remember the Popside being full of Scousers that night and they were having a right old moan afterwards as we had DARED to score against the mighty Liverpool.

Christie. We were stood right down the front. It was chucking it down and I was wearing a denim cap (for reasons that I'm still unsure of). When the ref gave the penalty, the whole BBG seemed to take a deep intake of breath, only breathing out once Christie tucked it away ! The biggest mental I'd ever had up to that point.

Yes, the ground was falling down. Yes, it stank of stale piss, but it was ours. You can't ever take away those nights.     

7 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Occasionally went in the Ossie Park around 79-82 period before matches. We'd come in convoy from Doveridge Working Mens club sometimes instead of the train and park at Normanton Barracks. We'd try a few pubs round there, Norman Arms, Sherwood Forrester etc then down to the Pear Tree or Baseball Hotel.

Had a huge brawl with Stoke in the Norman Arms on one of these occasions.

Happy days!

The Norman is the only one of those pubs still going. The Ossie is a carpet shop, Sherwood a Sikh temple and the Peartree is an Indian pub/restaurant. The Chestnut is still going though.

Best Popside experience?

Three goals in first half vs Benfica!

Not so good (exciting though!)

Dodging bottles and cans propelled by Airdrie fans in Texaco Cup final. (which we won of course!)

Standing near the Ossie end with Wolves supporters in a cup match when Wolves equalised in last minute, only for the Rams to score a winner ten seconds from the restart! They got a little upset!

11 minutes ago, SWRam said:

Popside was naff!

The Ozzie end was the best.

Ozzie enders, ozzie enders, la la la la la la lah

We're all mad, round the bend, no one takes the ozzie end, la la la lah, la la lah, la lah

Apart from the boys corner, the Normanton end was the only end I didn't go in. We moved to the Ossie end from the Popside to escape the special attention plod used to pay us. It took them about 4 games to find us :ph34r:

7 minutes ago, ossieram said:

Apart from the boys corner, the Normanton end was the only end I didn't go in. We moved to the Ossie end from the Popside to escape the special attention plod used to pay us. It took them about 4 games to find us :ph34r:

I was turfed away for coming from Leicester, cheeky bugger cost me £2.75 national express bus fare, funniest thing I saw was a fat bloke lodged in the turnstiles, why do they have openings for twiggyesque frames :lol:

Yep graduated to the ossie end , got me in some bother years later when they gave it to away fans ( how dare they) Plymouth home in the cup , night match springs to mind , mind it was in the days when they chucked you out and you just payed to get back in ,, young and foolish

The main reason most of the Pop Side lads moved to the Ossie End, round about the start of the 1972/73 season ( the first game actually ended in the famous pitch battle with Chelsea, and Jimmy Hill later tut-tutting on MOTD) was because the club had made the centre pen between the Vulcan and Columbia ends for season ticket holders only, in an attempt to improve segregation. Up to that point there had been only one thin red iron railing separating the rival fans...which was all there was for the following few seasons between the Ossie Enders and the away support on the Columbo. 

I remember many an away trip in the late seventies when the chanting always started with one group of lads shouting "Pop Side!" and another answering with "Ossie End!" 

Pop Side! Ossie End! Pop Side! Ossie End! Pop Side! Ossie End lol

On 1/1/2017 at 12:29, ossieram said:

Enjoyed a few pitch invasions over the years and being perched on top of the fence as Arthur Cox and the boys paraded around the pitch. I'm the one in the black T shirt pointing at something.

popside.jpg

With the exact placement of the geezer rocking a huge mullet and double denim, this pic couldn't be anymore 80's if it tried :lol:

Archived