Henri Lansbury - Signed for Aston Villa

DcFc Dyycheee

3 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

He's having a medical according to @Nuwtfly , not sure wheres he's seen that but I trust him not to be lying. If that's true I don't think you can't get any closer

FYI @Millenniumram & @RamsPolls

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4136626/Manchester-United-ready-stick-Luke-Shaw.html

"Villa are continuing to look for options for Jordan Ayew and Ross McCormack to help offset their January outlay with Barnsley midfielder Conor Hourihane also expected to arrive at Villa Park today for medical after a fee was accepted. The 25-year-old has also been a target for Sheffield Wednesday. Nottingham Forest's Henri Lansbury is poised to follow in a £3m deal."

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, David said:

Have we ever been mentioned in the same sentence as Hourihane outside of this forum?

I don't think that's the point David, the point is that we should be looking for these type of players as he would fit into the McClaren type team, with his high pressing and good technical ability. I'd be more surprised if we weren't looking at Hourihane, his stats for the last few years speak for themselves. If we weren't I'd be very,very worried because it would demonstrate that our recruitment is terrible. 

7 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Extremely dissapointed at this is an understatement, he's exactly the sort of player we need, we're not going anywhere until we get a centre mid to partner Hughes. The fact that Villa have managed to sign both him and hourihane says something imo, were struggling to attract players to play for us anymore, how can we let TWO players that would be perfect go to the same club, where they probably won't both play, and are beneath us!

Do we have poor negotiators? Are our recruitment team just idiots for not looking at them? Or is something else putting players off joining us? Mcclarens comments today seem to suggest we can't get our targets to join and that we're just giving up looking now, which tbh has hacked me off immensely as a fan.

Its abundantly clear that although the squad is capable at this level, we're not good enough and don't have the balance within the team to really trouble the top teams, we've even let teams like Leeds get ahead of us for ***** sake! I know this is mainly the work of a certain ostrich, but not signing anyone else this window is effectively giving up the season imo, which when we're in 7th place is a totally ridiculous move!

Maybe it's all just a rouse, but if there are no more incomings we as fans may as well give up as well, we're going nowhere until our recruitment team actually does it's bloody job and finds players good enough to improve on the players in our starting 11, which considering we've scored so few goals this season can't be that blood hard!

What exactly did McClaren say in his interview to make you think we have been unable to sign any of our targets because the one I've seen earlier today made no reference to incoming targets wotsoever? He conceded that there's a lack of balance in the squad i.e. too many wide players but first all we know that can be sorted from within current resources.

Outside of the club it's probable that nobody knows whether there are any bids in for players (Lansbury apart), whether we actually have targets or maybe Mac is happy with what we have.

Relieved Lansbury's going to Villa (especially if the £40k a week is anywhere near accurate) but disappointed about Hourihane though.

12 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

He's having a medical according to @Nuwtfly , not sure wheres he's seen that but I trust him not to be lying. If that's true I don't think you can't get any closer

Don't think there's many on here who lie - just a few who are a million miles off the mark on occasions.

2 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

What exactly did McClaren say in his interview to make you think we have been unable to sign any of our targets 

"Are there players available who will do that? We identified some, Chrissy Martin being one, but unfortunately, they are not available."

Said this today when referring to players Derby have looked at. 

7 minutes ago, McLovin said:

I don't think that's the point David, the point is that we should be looking for these type of players as he would fit into the McClaren type team, with his high pressing and good technical ability. I'd be more surprised if we weren't looking at Hourihane, his stats for the last few years speak for themselves. If we weren't I'd be very,very worried because it would demonstrate that our recruitment is terrible. 

In the last 2 years it has been - sadly!

2 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

"Are there players available who will do that? We identified some, Chrissy Martin being one, but unfortunately, they are not available."

Said this today when referring to players Derby have looked at. 

Martin yes but we know (or think we know) all about that situation and the Lansbury bid appears to be accurate. We probably have 10, 20, 30 players identified for various positions in the squad but that doesn't mean any firm bids have been made.

I have had serious misgivings about our recruitment team but based on who we've signed in the last 2 years, not on who we haven't signed in this window.

As others have pointed out, it doesn't really matter whether we are close to our FFP limit or not. If we are competing with relegated Premier League clubs (especially those the size of Villa and Newcastle) and those clubs consider a player a priority target we will, nine times out of ten, be unable to match them.

They are able to sell their better players for huge sums and have enormous parachute payments for the next four seasons. That's before their season tickets, match day attendances and merchandise sales are taken into consideration. 

Their spending power at this level is almost limitless. Having said all that, success is never garaunteed...

1 minute ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

A lot of a "cockwomble". 

I for one will be happy when this thread is titled as Henri Lansbury signed for villa. 

I will also be happy when Hourihane signs for someone.....anyone....quickly.

3 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

What exactly did McClaren say in his interview to make you think we have been unable to sign any of our targets because the one I've seen earlier today made no reference to incoming targets wotsoever? He conceded that there's a lack of balance in the squad i.e. too many wide players but first all we know that can be sorted from within current resources.

Outside of the club it's probable that nobody knows whether there are any bids in for players (Lansbury apart), whether we actually have targets or maybe Mac is happy with what we have.

Relieved Lansbury's going to Villa (especially if the £40k a week is anywhere near accurate) but disappointed about Hourihane though.

I believe the quote was the right players have been 'unavailable' which you can take in multiple ways but the way I took it is that we've tried and we weren't able to get them in for whatever reason, you've got Lansbury going to Villa, sako committing his future etc. This is what concerns me, we haven't been able to convince Lansbury to join us over a club beneath us in the league, despite clearly trying to sign him, or persuade a player like sako to come for first team football, which shows something about our recruitment team imo, it was a very similar situation in the summer

Of course this could all be due to wages and probably is tbf, but there's plenty of players out there who can improve our team, someone just needs to be arsed to find them, saying we're not active and not looking is insane imo. It's very clear our team needs improvements, and to give the recruitment team credit we did appear to be looking in the right places, but why give up now?! I don't believe for a second that mcclarens happy with the squad, he's not an idiot and it's clear to any sane person that improvements are needed IMO.

I do hope it is just to throw teams off the scent *cough* Villa *cough* but I do fear that it's because we're struggling to find anyone in the Championship and since the recruitment team is incompetent and can't look outside of the obvious players, they've just given up and mcclarens been told to get on with what he's got until the summer when we can reassess. If that true, and it's pure conjecture on my part of course, then that's totally the wrong attitude to take, it seems to be what we did when we appointed wassall last season and I don't understand why we do it. We're 7th and not that many players off challenging, we just need a few top quality players to better our starting 11, so it's surely now the recruitment teams job to find those players so that we can challenge, it's not too much for one window imo- maybe longer is needed to properly build the squad, but we can improvise and still challenge this year

5 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

This is what concerns me, we haven't been able to convince Lansbury to join us over a club beneath us in the league, despite clearly trying to sign him, or persuade a player like sako to come for first team football, which shows something about our recruitment team imo, it was a very similar situation in the summer

We haven't had bids accepted for either player so we have no idea if we could have "persuaded" or "convinced" them to join or not.

2 hours ago, KBB said:

Your point being?

My point being Bennett and others in the 23's they can't even score against Sunderland U23's and unless he is like Vardy let's not get another squad member... we have scored less goals than we have played, and 2nd lowest scores behind Wigan.. !! But we boast £24million on the bench.. 

1 minute ago, David said:

We haven't had bids accepted for either player so we have no idea if we could have "persuaded" or "convinced" them to join or not.

You'd think that on the face of it I agree, but it does seem to be a possibility that we pulled out of both deals once we heard the wage demands/ other teams offers for the players, although of course the Lansbury thing was probably more to do with the insane fatwaz. Also you have to take into account agent contact before offers are accepted, it shouldn't happen and is against the rules, but it does seem to be creeping in more and more and I wouldn't be surprised if we had talks with agents before offers were accepted, all guess work however- my concern is more the fact that mcclaren seemed to be saying we'd stopped looking

15 minutes ago, Andrew James said:

My point being Bennett and others in the 23's they can't even score against Sunderland U23's and unless he is like Vardy let's not get another squad member... we have scored less goals than we have played, and 2nd lowest scores behind Wigan.. !! But we boast £24million on the bench.. 

£24 million on the bench ,but probably worth £12m

Archived