McClaren manager of the month - Will the curse strike?

RamsPolls

November 1996 - Jim Smith wins Manager of the Month.

November 2006 - Billy Davies wins Manager of the Month.

November 2016 - Steve McClaren wins Manager of the Month.

Small sample I know, but a bit of a trend. November 2026, who will be the Derby manager that wins Manager of the Month?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

Small sample I know, but a bit of a trend. November 2026, who will be the Derby manager that wins Manager of the Month?

Steve McClaren. Premier league manager of the month after going the whole of the current season with maximum points and also booking a place in the knockout stages of the Champions league after winning all the group games 5-0

2 hours ago, TreeFuTom said:

You're all being ridiculous. If our team is remotely strong, this award would mean nothing. You make your own luck, no such thing as the curse.

It what sense is it 'luck' if you make it yourself?  But you are right, if people ignore things like this, they won't have any effect.

5 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

Shaun 'tactical genius' Barker after Derby qualify for the next round of the McDonald's Champions league ?

14 hours ago, Parsnip said:

The best we can hope for is a lucky draw now.

Actually the best we could hope for would be a massive freeze on Saturday night covering the A52 in 8 feet of snow.

It's all about damage limitation - although how we'll recover after Sundays deflating defeat I know not. Hopefully a good win for Forest will inspire them to play off glory and we can go again next season without having to worry about them.

WTF??

Pretty sure the "curse" got to such structure within the minds of fans that multiple articles have been published thoroughly disproving it.

Nice to have a supernatural excuse ready made for when we lose though, best to not hold anyone accountable. 

2 hours ago, SaintRam said:

Pretty sure the "curse" got to such structure within the minds of fans that multiple articles have been published thoroughly disproving it.

Nice to have a supernatural excuse ready made for when we lose though, best to not hold anyone accountable. 

Better to blame a myth than Keogh!

18 hours ago, RamsPolls said:

Can't believe the EFL gave him player of the month after that Oscar winning performance last friday.

That game happened in December, for one thing. The league can justify that the award celebrates Novembers game alone.

Small comfort - Lansbury won the award for playing at the top of his game. Tom Ince came a close second (supposedly) playing well, but I still feel that he can go up a few more gears and get even better (not a dig, that's a positive).

17 hours ago, PodgeyRam said:

Bucko defo.

Football genius

1 hour ago, Whoneedshuls said:

Don't believe in curses :) Brighton did us a huge favour last night by beating Leeds now we're only 3 points behind them and gaining momentum the only way is up come on u Rams. ;) 

You have done it now....you know we will now finish 3rd 2 points behind brighton.

23 hours ago, Bridgford Ram said:

I am sure this is a similar myth to the 'the team who finish 3rd never go up in the play offs' one.

I am sure some statistical analysis would soon prove that there is no curse.

You mean 4th. 3rd goes up more often than any other placement. 

4th hadn't gone up in about 20 years... Until QPR... 

2 hours ago, Bridgford Ram said:

Yeah that's what I mean, people often quote that the 3rd place team doesn't go up but in reality they do.

Don't think I've heard anyone ever saying that about 3rd place. You'd have to really not pay attention to the game to say that. 

Archived