McClaren manager of the month - Will the curse strike?

RamsPolls

Steve McClaren has been named Manager of the month for November. To be fair it was pretty obvious he was going to get it as the big boys like Norwich & Newcastle have stalled the past couple of weeks. The main problem with this is that people tend to see this manager of the month award as a curse. It can bring attention to teams who are slowly picking up points and rising the table. In my opinion we would have been causing ripples in other teams waters for a while now anyway, without this aware, due to us winning 5 straight games in a row and only conceding 2 goals in the process. We are a force to be reckoned with when we are on our game. Lets hope this can continue through the rest of the year and see where we land come May! 

Up the rams. 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The idea of a curse has some basis in fact but is obviously superstitious nonsense.

Thought about objectively you can see the reasons though. All teams have good and bad spells. Have a good spell get manager of the month. Then you may play several more games before the results are announced. So your good spell may been 6 games long. This pretty much guarantees a poorer run after the MoM result comes out so there's the basis of the "curse"

Anyway Forest matches tend to ignore form so it will be "interesting".

I think it (the curse) mostly reflects when average teams have been making extra efforts for a handful of games then run out of puff for one and lose it. That can coincidentally be around the same time as the manager getting motm because of their 12 points (or whatever).

I think it might be a real effect (stats monsters want to have a go? Give it some t-tests?) But I don't think its a universal rule. 

Still think that's us utterly plucked for Sunday. 

9 minutes ago, WharfedaleRam said:

Have confidence boys and girls. 6 straight wins by Sunday afternoon (guaranteed) followed by Mac being motm in December, January, February, March........!!

Football League Trophy presented to Keogh at The City Ground in March following 3-0 win and 25 game unbeaten run

The best we can hope for is a lucky draw now.

Actually the best we could hope for would be a massive freeze on Saturday night covering the A52 in 8 feet of snow.

It's all about damage limitation - although how we'll recover after Sundays deflating defeat I know not. Hopefully a good win for Forest will inspire them to play off glory and we can go again next season without having to worry about them.

26 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

The best we can hope for is a lucky draw now.

Actually the best we could hope for would be a massive freeze on Saturday night covering the A52 in 8 feet of snow.

It's all about damage limitation - although how we'll recover after Sundays deflating defeat I know not. Hopefully a good win for Forest will inspire them to play off glory and we can go again next season without having to worry about them.

I would call the lunatic asylum. You obviously need it

I sort of feel like these things only become a curse if enough people believe it... if a big wedge of fans suddenly believed we're doomed to lose I genuinely believe it creates more of an edgy atmosphere. a mistake that may be forgiven by someone in a positive frame of mind brings on a jeer etc. etc. knock on effect to players and it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

just an interesting thought.

From this seasons previous Championship Manager of the Month's, and their following months form I'm going into the game in hope of a Rams victory against the Red dogs this Sunday.

Rafa Benitez (Newcastle) October Manager of the Month (MOTM)

• November form: WWLL

Alex Neil (Norwich) September MOTM

• October form: WWDLL

David Wagner (Huddersfield) August MOTM

• September form: WLWLW

From the past two championship manager of the months, the teams start the following month well, both with an opening wins. But then seem to drop off at towards the end of the month.

Huddersfield the exception managing a better following month than Newcastle and Norwich. 

I'd be happy for us to drop off a little after Notts, as long as we beat the ********! With then a steady progression back to promotion form there after :p

Up the Rams!

3 hours ago, YouRams said:

Hope curse of player of the month award strikes on Lansbury the ****** id love nothing more than to see him hobbling off the pitch.

Can't believe the EFL gave him player of the month after that Oscar winning performance last friday.

2 hours ago, CobRam said:

I sort of feel like these things only become a curse if enough people believe it... if a big wedge of fans suddenly believed we're doomed to lose I genuinely believe it creates more of an edgy atmosphere. a mistake that may be forgiven by someone in a positive frame of mind brings on a jeer etc. etc. knock on effect to players and it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

just an interesting thought.

In your opinion 

3 hours ago, WharfedaleRam said:

Have confidence boys and girls. 6 straight wins by Sunday afternoon (guaranteed) followed by Mac being motm in December, January, February, March........!!

....and then we lose every game in April and miss out on automatics by 1/2 point. We outplay Leeds in the semi final where we then meet Florest in the final - we lose 3-2 with a Lansbury Hatrick of penalties.

You believed me then until I mentioned the 3 penalties didn't you.

Let's hope it doesn't strike, it was 2 years ago when we were flying, florist came to PP and won 1-2 with that stopage time Osborn goal and that was at the start of the slide that lead to Macs downfall ! Lightning doesn't strike twice.... does it ?

Archived