Will Hughes turns down contract offer?

Cam the Ram

2 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Hughes and Butterfield both have 2 recorded assists this season. You can't argue with the facts as mr Rafa Benitez would state. Let's us enjoy both play. Gone are the times where we had players with 0 technical ability in the midfield 

Not that I particularly care either way because assist stats are nonsense but I literally can argue with the 'facts' because they're wrong.

Hughes got one assist at Preston and two at Wolves.

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Not that I particularly care either way because assist stats are nonsense but I literally can argue with the 'facts' because they're wrong.

It's also takes a striker to score to get an assist. Hughes put Vydra 1v1 at Wolves. No assist

The assist stat on its own has always been a load of *****. 

It's the same with shots on target.

I could take all corners and free kicks, and roll 35 yard shots into the keepers arms and leave the game with 5 assists and 10 shots on target. 

Or I could put Connor Sammon through on goal 5 times and when he misses I get no assists. 

Chances created is a better stat than assists. Assist is just the last person to touch the ball before the goalscorer. Doesn't mean he created the opening. 

48 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Don't think they counted the first one against Wolves as a Hughes assist because he shot it and the keeper saved it before rebounding to Ince. I don't know if they are typically counted as assists? 

37 minutes ago, Alpha said:

It's also takes a striker to score to get an assist. Hughes put Vydra 1v1 at Wolves. No assist

The assist stat on its own has always been a load of *****. 

It's the same with shots on target.

I could take all corners and free kicks, and roll 35 yard shots into the keepers arms and leave the game with 5 assists and 10 shots on target. 

Or I could put Connor Sammon through on goal 5 times and when he misses I get no assists. 

Chances created is a better stat than assists. Assist is just the last person to touch the ball before the goalscorer. Doesn't mean he created the opening. 

But in terms of the chances created stat, Hughes has only provided 2 more key passes than Butterfield, while Butterfield has provided over 80 more passes with a higher % of those being forward passes. I don't want this to look like I'm criticising Hughes because I'm not, I'm saying that Butterfield is actually underrated looking at the stats posted by @rynnyand he isn't an average player as suggested by @Ninos(I usually agree with you Ninos on some topics but not this one).

9 minutes ago, England Ram said:

Still struggling to post actual pictures and not a link, but glad you got the idea:)

And I tend to agree. 

I have added it in for you, what you need to do is right click in the image (hold your finger on thenpicture for mobiles and tablets) then click open picture in new tab and copy the address from there, should end, typically, in .jpg

2 hours ago, McLovin said:

Don't think they counted the first one against Wolves as a Hughes assist because he shot it and the keeper saved it before rebounding to Ince. I don't know if they are typically counted as assists? 

But in terms of the chances created stat, Hughes has only provided 2 more key passes than Butterfield, while Butterfield has provided over 80 more passes with a higher % of those being forward passes. I don't want this to look like I'm criticising Hughes because I'm not, I'm saying that Butterfield is actually underrated looking at the stats posted by @rynnyand he isn't an average player as suggested by @Ninos(I usually agree with you Ninos on some topics but not this one).

The only person that underrates Butterfield is Ninos with his weird hate campaign each season. 

I think, and this will blow some minds, that Hughes and Butterfield are both doing fine. 

1% here, 2 passes there.... why are we reduced to such stuff. It's stuff that can completely flip around between now and Monday. It's just not worth debating. 

4 hours ago, McLovin said:

Hughes and Butterfield both have 2 recorded assists this season. You can't argue with the facts as mr Rafa Benitez would state. Let's us enjoy both play. Gone are the times where we had players with 0 technical ability in the midfield 

Hughes has bare minimum three; Preston, Cardiff and Wolves. 

46 minutes ago, Alpha said:

The only person that underrates Butterfield is Ninos with his weird hate campaign each season. 

I think, and this will blow some minds, that Hughes and Butterfield are both doing fine. 

1% here, 2 passes there.... why are we reduced to such stuff. It's stuff that can completely flip around between now and Monday. It's just not worth debating. 

Stats should only be used to back up an argument, never to formulate one. 

On 10/12/2016 at 00:49, Ambitious said:

I do think some people are pandering to Hughes a little bit; mistaking talent with quality. I don't think anyone can argue that he has a lot of talent. He does things at times that look completely out of place at Championship level, however, they're all too few and far apart. 

He's experienced enough now where he should have a greater demand on his impact. 

I would say that it's quite frankly nothing short of an absolute embarrassment that he hasn't scored a single goal in 18 appearances this season. I also don't think three assists in 18 is anywhere near acceptable. 

I do agree his all round play has been good this season, but he definitely needs to up it. I would say Sunday is a perfect opportunity for him. In fact, I would say how he performs on Sunday will say a lot about him as a player. He can't, well shouldn't, get away with making a couple of inventive passes and a big tackle. He needs to do something that ultimately ends up with the ball in the back of the goal - whether it be from his own boot or creating it for someone else. He needs to put his marker down and come away with at least a large minority suggesting he's the reason we won, he's our MOTM. 

As I've said previously, no Premier League side will be willing to pay in excess of £15m for a Championship midfielder who barely scores or creates anything - especially one masquerading as an attacking midfielder.

This forum is in serious trouble if that's a well liked answer. I'm staggered.

1) Pearson.

2) He's not naturally a goalscorer thus far, many players aren't.

3) Assists don't matter for a damn thing, chances created do.

4) He's still young and missed a full season previously, taking a year off of his development to improve on such things.

5) He isn't often the man supplied with the chance, rather than man supplying said chance, especially with long shot midfielders and greedy strikers about. He links play, he isn't intended to be on the end of it in our, or previous, systems.

6) He's quite clearly the single best player at the club by a country mile who, if anything, needs to be more selfish at times. He's not because there are better finishers about and no-one can play the passes he can, I'm sure he's well aware of both of those things. 

An absolute embarrassment? Barring a few woeful efforts vs Rotherham, I'm staggered that any claim like that can be made. Especially with our season's start. Mental. But then this is the year of Brexit and Trump so anything's possible I suppose.

13 hours ago, rynny said:

I have added it in for you, what you need to do is right click in the image (hold your finger on thenpicture for mobiles and tablets) then click open picture in new tab and copy the address from there, should end, typically, in .jpg

Brilliant. Thanks pal. 

How does it work from photos you take from your own phone? 

Archived