Johnny Russell and a perceived lack of end product

brady1993

On Thursday, November 24, 2016 at 20:34, brady1993 said:

I agree he can be frustrating at times but so can all attacking wide players in the championship. They are usually at this level because they are inconsistent. 

I think in all honesty that this post could go on every individual player thread, and we could just talk 'team tactics' and who plays. 

Keogh....awesome sometimes but also got the odd mistake in him.

Vydra..good link up and pace..not clinical enough in front of goal

Butterfield ..neat and tidy but not quick enough to move the game on ...etc etc

Every player if they improved their deficiencies would be swooped up by the  Premier League...except possibly Will who has everything already and shines out as Premier League quality now.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, YorkshireRam said:

One of the biggest overreactions I've ever seen...

You must lead a sheltered life. 

I was describing the way I feel when I watch him play, which for the vast majority of the time is frustrated and disappointed. The last player who made me feel like that on a regular basis was Sammon. 

I wasn't comparing their stats, I was talking about my experience of watching the game. If no one was allowed to 'overreact' at a game of football it would all go very quiet. 

4 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

You must lead a sheltered life. 

I was describing the way I feel when I watch him play, which for the vast majority of the time is frustrated and disappointed. The last player who made me feel like that on a regular basis was Sammon. 

I wasn't comparing their stats, I was talking about my experience of watching the game. If no one was allowed to 'overreact' at a game of football it would all go very quiet. 

Not really, just pointing out that Russell is in a different league to Sammon (both hypothetically and literally).

Sammon doesn't have the ability to score the goals Russell has/does. Millwall home a couple of seasons ago and of course his goal vs Forest spring to mind 

2 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

Not really, just pointing out that Russell is in a different league to Sammon (both hypothetically and literally).

Yes, I know that. 

As stated, the comparison was meant to highlight the level of frustration felt watching a player who completely surprises you when he gets something right. 

Russell is a worker, every team needs a few.  It's not so much about individual skill as it is about team balance, creating and maintaining a working unit.  That being said, i am a big fan of Russell who when on form is a real crackerjack and i have every confidence in him raising his game under Mac.

34 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

Yes, I know that. 

As stated, the comparison was meant to highlight the level of frustration felt watching a player who completely surprises you when he gets something right. 

and Ince hasn't thus far?

His recent form aside Ince has been far more frustrating to watch due to the knowledge that he's one of our most talented players but attitude seems to prevent it from showing most of the time.

Russell, even when out of form, will always work hard, covering the fullback, pressuring opposition defences, offering everything he can off the ball as well as on. Now I realise his workrate isn't at question but sometimes it's Russell's quality off the ball that sets him apart; his pace and work ethic make up for his inconsistency in regards to end product.

We're winning with Russell in the side and he's continuously been getting the nod from McClaren ahead of other wingers, that's not a coincidence. 

I'm not saying you're wrong, it's just my subjective reaction. 

I've always kept faith in Ince because you have that sense he can pull something out of nowhere. I'm not convinced that Ince's lack of form is due to his 'attitude' either. 

I don't doubt Russell's work rate, but if anything that only increases the frustration when you see him get into a good position or make a run, only to give the ball away ten seconds later.

I have started to doubt whether he is capable of becoming a more consistent player, because all the signs for a long time now seem to suggest otherwise. 

Russell is clearly missing Martin.They had good understanding, bit like Ince and Bent.

I'd give Weimann a go, he works as hard and quality-wise offers at least the same as Russell. Maybe could even score a few.

By the way, Russell scored one of my favourite goals in recent years.

19 hours ago, Dimmu said:

Russell is clearly missing Martin.They had good understanding, bit like Ince and Bent.

I'd give Weimann a go, he works as hard and quality-wise offers at least the same as Russell. Maybe could even score a few.

By the way, Russell scored one of my favourite goals in recent years.

Said it earlier in the season, if you were to choose our top 10 goals since he joined, Johnny has 4-5 candidates to be in there.

On ‎26‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 10:34, ramit said:

Russell is a worker, every team needs a few.  It's not so much about individual skill as it is about team balance, creating and maintaining a working unit.  That being said, i am a big fan of Russell who when on form is a real crackerjack and i have every confidence in him raising his game under Mac.

Any idea when that will be? :lol:

Russell is doing terrible isn't he how we have managed to win the last five games is beyond me with him only scoring the one winning goal setting teammates up etc and helping a very inexperienced full back out, so yeah let's replace him with someone who does all of that as a minimum and also doubles the ratios, maybe they would have been playing if they could? 

Johnny helps keep the balance of the side 

There is no-one better in the championship who can take the ball and turn in one movement - opposition players must hate playing against him, which is why they foul him all the time

He chips in with really important goals regularly 

He absolutely ghosts past players when he moves into space with the ball at his feet moving into the opposition half, creating havoc 

And always looks to put the ball into his strikers when they make a move

He doesn't play for Bayern Munich or Real Madrid. He plays in England's second tier at Derby County.

Keep going, Johnny, you are valued by the silent majority, believe me 

18 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I think this month will see us get better and better and players like Johnny will only improve going forward.

Maybe Ince and Bent are finding more space because players like Russell are keeping the opposition defenders busy. 

Lol, most deluded post ever.

Ironically about Russell, the most overrated player ever.

People need to be a tad more objective regarding Johnny, (although I know the line above is pot calling kettle), I wish  it wasn't so, but he is the teams weak link.

There was a brilliant bit of improvisation from Russell at the beginning of the move which led to Johnson's winning goal on Saturday. I think a lot of people missed it.

Lowe won the ball, played a one-two with Russell, then gave it back to Russell who took two Norwich players out of the game with an excellent chip over them to Johnson who headed it on to Hughes. Hughes surged forward, nearly lost it, but cleverly laid it off for Johnson to smash home. It was a good move which I don't think was shown from the beginning on 5 or Sky Sports.

Archived