Johnny Russell and a perceived lack of end product

brady1993

He's a winger. They are notoriously hit and miss. JR always gives it everything even when he's not at his best and when at his best he's often under-appreciated. 

I probably bore a lot of people on here because I'm too positive or not slating our players. But I don't care. I like Russell a lot. I like them all. I just feel many of them need to be allowed to play. They thrive under a supportive boss and support. It's no surprise that a few others have come to the fore since Mac returned. Not to me. And thus I expect JR to hit form soon...

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, McLovin said:

Stats can be misleading. No-one is saying he is a bad player. Russell's issue is that he is inconsistent. He plays spell for 5 games which inflate his stats then he plays crap the next 5 games. I want to see the Russell that played against Hull away in the play offs more often, not the Russell who falls over his own feet when attempting to dribble. As Mileniumram said above, Russell avoids criticism more than any other player in the current Derby squad. If you contrast him to Baird who hasn't done anything wrong since he has been here. It's one rule for one player and another for another player for Derby fans.

Your right that stats can be misleading but I think whichever way you look at it his return of goals and assists has been good whilst being at Derby. I accept that you aren't saying he's a bad player but the reason I started this thread is entirely because is over the past few weeks I have seen people say pretty much that he's a bad player with no end product. I entirely agree that he's inconsistent but I'd argue that goes for nearly everywhere wide player in the division (hence why they are in this division). I also agree that in the past he did seemingly avoid criticism when it was perhaps warranted but I feel the sentiment towards him has swung completely in the opposite direction. Whilst I accept your general point about Baird, I do think Baird has been generally poor during his time at Derby but in fairness he did ok against Rotherham and I hope he keeps it up.

5 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Yeah it's videos that make you frustrated by him, because he's clearly got the technical ability, he just can't seem to consistently put it together sadly, but there's no need to change anything at the moment, we're scoring goals and that's all we can wish for haha!

Agreed :D. (I do have to admit part of the reason I posted that video was just to watch that sublime second goal again)

4 minutes ago, Warren Hobhead said:

He's a winger. They are notoriously hit and miss. JR always gives it everything even when he's not at his best and when at his best he's often under-appreciated. 

I probably bore a lot of people on here because I'm too positive or not slating our players. But I don't care. I like Russell a lot. I like them all. I just feel many of them need to be allowed to play. They thrive under a supportive boss and support. It's no surprise that a few others have come to the fore since Mac returned. Not to me. And thus I expect JR to hit form soon...

Exactly what I'm trying to drive at @Warren Hobhead and you're spot on with your points about a supportive boss.

I really like Johnny. A genuine team player. Truth is his touch is inconsistent. I also think part of his game is that he gambles a lot with his unsettling terrier instinct. Sometimes it comes off and sometimes it doesn't. In recent games the balance of "wins" has been a bit below his usual average. At that point people then start to look at the rest of his game which then highlights the missing finesse. 

He's a good player and an asset but I sometimes wonder if Johnny's at his best after being dropped for  game and then he comes back busting guts to show us all what he's got ?

3 minutes ago, jono said:

I really like Johnny. A genuine team player. Truth is his touch is inconsistent. I also think part of his game is that he gambles a lot with his unsettling terrier instinct. Sometimes it comes off and sometimes it doesn't. In recent games the balance of "wins" has been a bit below his usual average. At that point people then start to look at the rest of his game which then highlights the missing finesse. 

He's a good player and an asset but I sometimes wonder if Johnny's at his best after being dropped for  game and then he comes back busting guts to show us all what he's got ?

That's a good point and I think you might be right there but I wonder if it's a case (at the moment) of McClaren not rating the other wide players highly enough to rotate Russell out. After all he was quickly reinstated to the first team when McClaren came back and has been starting ever since, whereas before McClaren rotated a bit more frequently with his wide players. But that could just be me reading too much into it.

2 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

That's a good point and I think you might be right there but I wonder if it's a case (at the moment) of McClaren not rating the other wide players highly enough to rotate Russell out. After all he was quickly reinstated to the first team when McClaren came back and has been starting ever since, whereas before McClaren rotated a bit more frequently with his wide players. But that could just be me reading too much into it.

I agree. I have been genuinely puzzled at the lack of game time given to Weiman. He always looks good when he comes on as sub. I have advanced to possibility that maybe he will rotate Weiman / Vydra and Bent /  Russell. But then the difficulty is why change a winning team. 

The we have Anya who was one of the few players who looked good under Pearsons system. I have a sense, like you that Steve trusts Johnnny to deliver something in a familiar system and will follow instructions. This was something we really needed given our position when he arrived. Stability and a certain performance level. The front line he has played is one that is familiar with each other and familiar to Steve. Important when the ship was taking on water at an alarming rate. 

I think it says plenty about our fanbase that we've won three games in a row and there's still something to be picked at.

We've seen enough of Russell to know that he has spells where he's not very good and then has spells where he's really really good. It shouldn't come as a shock if he's struggling a bit, and it shouldn't come as a shock when he inevitably explodes into life in a couple of weeks.

I like Russell, that Forest goal is up there with the best goals I have seen for Derby, part for the technique, the occasion, the celebration and just what it meant.

I would be happy for Johnny to start every game, however, I do think that Mac could find someone out there who could play the Russell role and score goals.

Its a damn shame Wilson got injured, as I think he would have been Macs man.

2 things majorly piss me off about Russell.

1. Getting caught flat footed. The ball goes into him and it's like he's just woken up too often. His body is square on and his first touch will be poor or a defender will win the ball. There's no excuse for being caught square on. Never. 

2. Our fans applauding him for running. Absolutely not his fault but I can't help it. If he runs the ball out of play while ignoring 3 wide open opportunities then he gets applauded for trying. Running does not mean trying. Running a lot is not a sign of loyalty and caring. It's a sign of a bloke that's fit and fast. And it pisses me off when it's acceptable for him to dribble the ball to Long Eaton but if Tom Ince misplaced a pass then he's "not interested"

An stupid error is a stupid error. And stupid error comes from poor concentration. So if a bloke runs into advertising hoardings then it's just as lazy as a bloke giving out hospital passes. 

I find these faults in Russell acceptable. And I haven't really got a problem with the love he gets. I just wish other players got the same love or when others are getting labeled as lazy that some would acknowledge that runners can be lazy too. Johnny Russell will run all day long because its his strength. But he can be lazy/casual in other ways. 

I was a massive fan of Russell under McClaren in his last spell here. But ever since then, he just hasn't performed the same and he has lost that cutting edge. 

He hides behind defenders when people are looking to give him the ball. He just isn't the same player he was 2 years ago. 

Weimann deserves a run of games in this side, as does Camara. 

Time for Johnny to be dropped to the bench.

3 hours ago, JarodyDCFC said:

He's a good player, but I'd start Anya over him any day. 

Really ? I find this position interesting because I'm the complete opposite. Whilst Anya is probably a bit tidier in possession and a yard quicker he carries very little goal threat and wastes a lot of good positions by just lobbing an easy to defend ball into the box.

2 hours ago, tinman said:

It's not perceived lack of end product. There is a lack of end product. 

No assists, one goal, 8 chances created all season. 

Compare that to Craig Conway at Blackburn for example. 1 goal, 2 assists and 24 chances created. 

In Russell's defence almost all of our attacking intent was sapped out of us by Pearson and we are still recovering from it. It's why I referred to last season in the original post, I think if you looks at his return of goals and assists over the course of his time at Derby he's producing at decent rate.

Also you neglected to mention that Conway has nearly twice the number of appearances this season.

1 hour ago, RamsPolls said:

I was a massive fan of Russell under McClaren in his last spell here. But ever since then, he just hasn't performed the same and he has lost that cutting edge. 

He hides behind defenders when people are looking to give him the ball. He just isn't the same player he was 2 years ago. 

Weimann deserves a run of games in this side, as does Camara. 

Time for Johnny to be dropped to the bench.

You say this but last year was Russell's best return in terms of goals and assists. Under Wassell particularly he was played very well in a lot of games.

Camara hasn't been favored by any manager at the club suggesting he might just not be good enough plus isn't he still injured ?

Weimann I could maybe see an argument for rotating in but I don't really see what he gives you over Russell.

2 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

You say this but last year was Russell's best return in terms of goals and assists. Under Wassell particularly he was played very well in a lot of games.

Camara hasn't been favored by any manager at the club suggesting he might just not be good enough plus isn't he still injured ?

Weimann I could maybe see an argument for rotating in but I don't really see what he gives you over Russell.

Camara has had hamstering problems all season.

Perhaps he ought to consider gerbils.

Archived