Johnny Russell and a perceived lack of end product

brady1993

On 28/11/2016 at 19:09, BobbyD said:

Johnny helps keep the balance of the side 

There is no-one better in the championship who can take the ball and turn in one movement - opposition players must hate playing against him, which is why they foul him all the time

He chips in with really important goals regularly 

He absolutely ghosts past players when he moves into space with the ball at his feet moving into the opposition half, creating havoc 

And always looks to put the ball into his strikers when they make a move

He doesn't play for Bayern Munich or Real Madrid. He plays in England's second tier at Derby County.

Keep going, Johnny, you are valued by the silent majority, believe me 

What are you his girlfriend 

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't agree that Ince has been turned into a "world class" player by Mac....or anything close to it. Maybe against Rotherham he looked a decent player, but for me, he continues to hardly justify his starting place most games this season.

11 minutes ago, MikeS said:

I don't agree that Ince has been turned into a "world class" player by Mac....or anything close to it. Maybe against Rotherham he looked a decent player, but for me, he continues to hardly justify his starting place most games this season.

World class - no. At this level though, when he's firing he takes people on in the box, creates, scores and draws fouls and peno's. A matchwinner. Consistency is the key for him.

22 minutes ago, MikeS said:

Nobody is calling him 'World class', of course he isn't 'world class' very very few players are. However if you don't think he more than justifies his starting place, particularly after the past 3 or 4 games then you are watching a different game to me. When on form (like he is now) he is considerably better than any other wide forward in the squad and is a top drawyer player at this level.

On 28 November 2016 at 19:37, Purpleram said:

Lol, most deluded post ever.

Ironically about Russell, the most overrated player ever.

People need to be a tad more objective regarding Johnny, (although I know the line above is pot calling kettle), I wish  it wasn't so, but he is the teams weak link.

I am usually pretty uncontroversial in football terms and avoid confrontation, a bit happy clappy if you like ... but honestly that is a really limp, ill considered statement without a shread of supporting evidence.

JR is a good player at this level of football. Doesn't always have the most precise of touches, can drift out of games, misreads things from time to time but he has strengths ... Huge willingness to get stuck in, unsettles opponents, can shoot on sight. Has a good engine. Other players are more individually skilled but he has a directness that works well against certain opposition. Weak link ? Total rubbish ! A useful player to have in your team depending on circumstances

34 minutes ago, jono said:

I am usually pretty uncontroversial in football terms and avoid confrontation, a bit happy clappy if you like ... but honestly that is a really limp, ill considered statement without a shread of supporting evidence.

JR is a good player at this level of football. Doesn't always have the most precise of touches, can drift out of games, misreads things from time to time but he has strengths ... Huge willingness to get stuck in, unsettles opponents, can shoot on sight. Has a good engine. Other players are more individually skilled but he has a directness that works well against certain opposition. Weak link ? Total rubbish ! A useful player to have in your team depending on circumstances

What evidence could I have on something that's subjective.

IMO he is poor even for this level, especially with a team with promotion aspirations. I base it from watching the game, I get it that many disagree but I don't feel it's ill considered. 

14 hours ago, Purpleram said:

What evidence could I have on something that's subjective.

IMO he is poor even for this level, especially with a team with promotion aspirations. I base it from watching the game, I get it that many disagree but I don't feel it's ill considered. 

He isn't on form at the minute but when it does click for him, he goes on a 6-7 game run of being brilliant.

Unfortunately he is too inconsistent over the course of a season but still, he's a very good championship player.

Archived