Mitchell

JarodyDCFC

2 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

He's 21 and most keepers don't hit their prime until they're 30. I'm not exactly worried.

He's old enough to be a scapegoat.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, JarodyDCFC said:

Think about it this way- it's constructive criticism. He can only get better at this point in time.

Nothing wrong with constructive criticism. I thought your initial post was put across fairly but it was bait for others who are that way inclined to jump on the venomous, unfair criticism bandwagon.

4 hours ago, JarodyDCFC said:

It feels bad saying this but he was awful yesterday against France. His reactions were incredibly slow and his diving style was too rigid. And 5ft 11 for a keeper? He cost the u21's the game last night and really needs to start improving or he'll never grow as a player. Thoughts?

48 minutes ago, JarodyDCFC said:

Think about it this way- it's constructive criticism. He can only get better at this point in time.

If that's 'constructive' criticism I'd hate to hear you whinging....

7 minutes ago, 86 points said:

If that's 'constructive' criticism I'd hate to hear you whinging....

I started this thread to see what people thought about his performance last night and how he can improve his game. Also general thoughts altogether. It may have been negative but things I said like "needs to start improving" clearly show constructive criticism. Sorry if I was a little harsh but every player has to take criticism at least once in their career.

Here are the heights of all the Premier League keepers: http://www.skysports.com/football/news/15126/10550863/manchester-citys-claudio-bravo-the-joint-shortest-premier-league-goalkeeper-hold

If you don't have the same physical stature you're only way to make up for it is to have a lot more natural ability. Roos (between 6'4 and 6'5) would be near the top of that list rather than off the bottom (I think Mitchell's between 5'10 and 5'11).  It's really sad for Mitchell who I'm sure is a lovely lad who works hard, but we can't give him a height transplant. I'd say the same if he'd kept a clean sheet against France. It's not about that one game but basic physics/mechanics like I said before.

Lets not forget he was also signed for FREE from Newcastle so it's not like he's a waste of money like others in the squad, in fact he's already proved a bargain / worth the gamble seeing that since arriving he's established himself as number 2 (ousting an experienced and current premier league goalie in granty), impressed in the limited first team games he's played, and now been recognised at national level and capped!

Interesting that Tom Heaton in the full England side last night made an even worse blunder for Spain's equaliser, being nutmegged at his near post, so it shows that mistakes can be made even at the highest level.

I personally think that Mitchell has made great progress since he joined us (on a free as Kamikaze has reminded us!) and we should get behind him rather than on his back.

2 hours ago, Kamikaze said:

Lets not forget he was also signed for FREE from Newcastle so it's not like he's a waste of money like others in the squad, in fact he's already proved a bargain / worth the gamble seeing that since arriving he's established himself as number 2 (ousting an experienced and current premier league goalie in granty), impressed in the limited first team games he's played, and now been recognised at national level and capped!

Did you see him play?

I think the posters being hysterical about a thread written about a Derby player (playing when no others are) is also OTT!

I was surprised that he looked so 'wooden' and as he is our current reserve keeper it seems valid to ask questions on his ability. Didn't realise he was so short (for a keeper) too. Perhaps the fact he was picked is more to do with our Academy making it easy for players to be spotted and a dearth of decent young English keepers (edit: Heaton has lots to learn too!)?

I thought he did OK. Nothing outstanding and little he could do about the first 2 goals.

The third goal he got caught out, and you could see he was very disappointed but we've all seen that happen to far better and more experienced keepers.

If he's a good keeper he will learn from that.

Archived