Mitchell

JarodyDCFC

It feels bad saying this but he was awful yesterday against France. His reactions were incredibly slow and his diving style was too rigid. And 5ft 11 for a keeper? He cost the u21's the game last night and really needs to start improving or he'll never grow as a player. Thoughts?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just watched the highlights, he will feel disappointed with the 2 free kicks, nothing he could have done with the first.

I would also look at the wall on both of them, as the ball is so close to the player and neither reacted/jumped or made any attempt to get anything on the ball. The second looks like Baker even ducks out of the way, if you are standing in the wall you need to be brave.

I'm with you Leicester .. Early days. I like the way he gets the ball back in play quickly. He is learning a very complex craft give him time. In outfield player terms he's a teenager. Not worried one bit. Happy with Scotty between our sticks at the moment but if he gets injured then I'll be nervous but a long way from really worried. 

I agree with you OP. I watched some of the england u 21 training on youtube because that's what I do with my life and his reactions are incredibly slow in comparison to Angus Gunn. Whilst it's true what Leicester Ram is saying that goalkeepers don't peak till they're older, at Mitchell's height his reactions should be absolutely fantastic and sharp but instead he looks sluggish which is something that can't be worked on easily. 

51 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

He's 21 and most keepers don't hit their prime until they're 30. I'm not exactly worried.

Not all keepers come into their prime at 30. Look at Joe Hart. My personal opinion is that he was better in his younger years- he seemed to make less mistakes back then and more agile saves. I'm not saying he won't improve, I'm just pointing out that if he wants to be a good keeper he needs to step his game up.

Sadly I've said this over again. He's probably the smallest keeper in any of the four divisions and I don't understand our perseverence with him. It's not Mitchell's fault he's a midget in goalkeeping terms, but he can't make it in the top flight in the modern game and all our young backup keepers should be looking at that. The days of Les Green are well and truly over. People have always said "look at Shay Given" who's famously a little keeper with big ability, but he's 2 or more inches taller than Mitchell.

It's said up the thread that he couldn't help the first goal, but a keeper like Roos who's half a foot taller is a bigger target and may not be beaten so easily. Mitchell's crouching down, making the goal even bigger to hit. Baker's freekick goal went in off the post and the French goalie (who's only 6 foot 3) still almost got it. France' first freekick was quite a long way inside the post and MItchell still couldn't reach it well enough. For their winner, of course you should never be beaten at your near post from 31.3m (or over 34 yards).

He's obviously got abillity to have managed an U21 cap and it's a shame, but football is often about making ruthless decisions and when it comes to basic mechanics a small keeper cannot save nearly as many shots as a big keeper.

Didn't see the game but looking at @rynny highlights you can only say the 3rd was at all poor. 

First one .. Yeah maybe caught in two minds .. Hope defenders will bail you out or go to the man in a one on one. Didn't do either but THAT you do learn 

second .. Wall did very badly .. Ducked out .. And he got a hand to it .. Nearly a wonder save 

third .. Long shot not that pacy should have done much better 

And the French keeper ? .. Off his line totally caught out for the first. ( what a great goal ! ) For the second .. Well he dived athletically enough but was slow and didn't touch it so ....... 

5 minutes ago, jono said:

Didn't see the game but looking at @rynny highlights you can only say the 3rd was at all poor. 

First one .. Yeah maybe caught in two minds .. Hope defenders will bail you out or go to the man in a one on one. Didn't do either but THAT you do learn 

second .. Wall did very badly .. Ducked out .. And he got a hand to it .. Nearly a wonder save 

third .. Long shot not that pacy should have done much better 

And the French keeper ? .. Off his line totally caught out for the first. ( what a great goal ! ) For the second .. Well he dived athletically enough but was slow and didn't touch it so ....... 

Will add to the first poor postioning from the right back, played the striker onside.

42 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Sadly I've said this over again. He's probably the smallest keeper in any of the four divisions and I don't understand our perseverence with him. It's not Mitchell's fault he's a midget in goalkeeping terms, but he can't make it in the top flight in the modern game and all our young backup keepers should be looking at that. The days of Les Green are well and truly over. People have always said "look at Shay Given" who's famously a little keeper with big ability, but he's 2 or more inches taller than Mitchell.

It's said up the thread that he couldn't help the first goal, but a keeper like Roos who's half a foot taller is a bigger target and may not be beaten so easily. Mitchell's crouching down, making the goal even bigger to hit. Baker's freekick goal went in off the post and the French goalie (who's only 6 foot 3) still almost got it. France' first freekick was quite a long way inside the post and MItchell still couldn't reach it well enough. For their winner, of course you should never be beaten at your near post from 31.3m (or over 34 yards).

He's obviously got abillity to have managed an U21 cap and it's a shame, but football is often about making ruthless decisions and when it comes to basic mechanics a small keeper cannot save nearly as many shots as a big keeper.

Harsh but true mate. No-one wants him to fail, we all want him to succeed but we need to be realistic. Only a select few of 'small' goalkeepers make it and stay there in the modern game and they're usually only the best ones.

Yep, what we really need is yet another hypercritical thread on a Derby player, especially a kid making his international debut. I guess all the naysayers are experts in their respective fields who never, ever have a bad day at the office, or anywhere else for that matter. 

1 minute ago, 86 points said:

Yep, what we really need is yet another hypercritical thread on a Derby player, especially a kid making his international debut. I guess all the naysayers are experts in their respective fields who never, ever have a bad day at the office, or anywhere else for that matter. 

Think about it this way- it's constructive criticism. He can only get better at this point in time.

I've just watched the highlight clip ! And from what you can tell from a highlights clip I think the thread is slightly over critical.  He's a young lad learning his trade . Surely it's not just us that see something in him . He's been picked for England under 21s for God's sake . 

Archived