Mitchell

JarodyDCFC

Did alright but he will be disappointed I think for the free kicks.

For the first one he was shouting at them to stand on their toes, meaning they couldn't jump. If they had been able to jump they would've blocked it. As he got a hand to it he'l probably think he should've kept it out.

For the second one, I'm sure he'll hold his hands up and say he should've done better. No matter how good the strike is you shouldn't really be getting beaten from that distance. He seemed a bit hesitant moving across almost as if he couldn't believe he'd tried to shoot. 

Still, he's young in goalkeeping terms, so he has time to improve. Plus with McClaren back, he'll be adding playing out from the back into his repertoire of skills. Wonder what Steele could have done with him? 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

Did alright but he will be disappointed I think for the free kicks.

For the first one he was shouting at them to stand on their toes, meaning they couldn't jump. If they had been able to jump they would've blocked it. As he got a hand to it he'l probably think he should've kept it out.

For the second one, I'm sure he'll hold his hands up and say he should've done better. No matter how good the strike is you shouldn't really be getting beaten from that distance. He seemed a bit hesitant moving across almost as if he couldn't believe he'd tried to shoot. 

Still, he's young in goalkeeping terms, so he has time to improve. Plus with McClaren back, he'll be adding playing out from the back into his repertoire of skills. Wonder what Steele could have done with him? 

Last paragraph is important . the trend at the top is increasingly for "sweeper keepers". you'd think with all other things being equal that mitchells height might be an advantage . 

Alternatively ,  perhaps it's a chance for crouchy to squeeze a few more years out by having a career change :lol:

It was Eric that spotted him, I know that Eric was quite upset with the standard of young keepers at Derby when he arrived and Mitchell was one who he brought in, Carson was another of Erics 'lads'  but unfortunately the club sacked him before he got to work with Carson again and I know that Eric rated him very highly. Years ago and even told me that he expected Carson to be Englands number one for a long while 

As highly rated as Zubi is, he still replaced one of the best GK coaches in the country and the world.

I see Heaton has been mentioned in this thread, another keeper trained by Eric at Man Utd as a kid. In fact what do these keepers have in common? Poom, Camp, Grant, De Gea, Kasper and Peter Schmikes, Joe Hart, Jack Butland, Mark Bosnich, Edwin VDS, Ben Foster, Dave Watson, Mike Stowell, Ron-Robert Zeiler. That's right all been trained by Eric. Eric even put Dave Watson and Mart Poom through theier GK coaching badges and both became national GK coaches.

Fortunately Eric now looks after the England age keepers, as well as passing on coaching know how through the FA to other FA's around the World, so as a nation we should be in great shape in a few years time. Though as a Rams fan I miss the bloke being here, and have it down as a costly mistake by messrs Rush, Clement and Morris that a man who loves the club and the area so much was allowed to leave when he had stated that he had no wish to go to his hometown club of Newcastle with Mac.

Here he is coaching in NZ,

whilst no stellar keepers, just listening to him may give an idea of how he explains everything and makes it seem simple as well as making you feel 10 foot tall, just like he did to me as a 14 year old when I was training with Mick Stowell, Paul Jones and Tony Lange at Wolves.

*I may be very biased as I consider the man a friend.

16 hours ago, RamNut said:

Yes....i agree we dropped a clanger with eric.

why get rid when he was in no way involved in the newcastle shenanigans?

Don't think we sacked him because of the Newcastle shenanigans. 

He obviously got offered a role at Newcastle with Mac and I don't think he would've said no to that do you?

10 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

Don't think we sacked him because of the Newcastle shenanigans. 

He obviously got offered a role at Newcastle with Mac and I don't think he would've said no to that do you?

He didn't go to Newcastle. He was sacked and stayed unemployed for ages. He went on record as saying he was convinced to take the Derby job because it was a short commute. This was his ideal place. He lived in Derbyshire, assume he still does if he works for FA at SGP

19 minutes ago, Tombo said:

He didn't go to Newcastle. He was sacked and stayed unemployed for ages. He went on record as saying he was convinced to take the Derby job because it was a short commute. This was his ideal place. He lived in Derbyshire, assume he still does if he works for FA at SGP

Yes he did... He was at Newcastle with Simpson & McClaren...

24 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

I was actually wrong that he was unemployed for a while but I know he didn't join Mac and Simmo at Newcastle. Here he is giving an interview about coaching the England U17s in October. We sacked him in the June of 2015.

http://www.thefa.com/news/2015/Oct/16/goalkeeper-coach-eric-steele-previews-england-u17s-fifa-world-cup-161015

4 minutes ago, Tombo said:

I was actually wrong that he was unemployed for a while but I know he didn't join Mac and Simmo at Newcastle. Here he is giving an interview about coaching the England U17s in October. We sacked him in the June of 2015.

http://www.thefa.com/news/2015/Oct/16/goalkeeper-coach-eric-steele-previews-england-u17s-fifa-world-cup-161015

Simon Smith was the goalkeeping coach, joined in August 2015

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3487869/Who-new-boss-Rafael-Benitez-bringing-Newcastle-United.html

8 hours ago, RamsPolls said:

No he wasn't, he had already told the club that he wanted to stay at Derby when the rumours first surfaced. Which as a Geordie lad and Newcastle fan was a massive sign of commitment and loyalty to DCFC.

As Tombo said he was engaged by the FA to coach age group keepers at SGP, which given Erics track record of producing youngsters is a good sign for England in the future.

2 minutes ago, Mick Harford said:

A tactic literally used by Sepp Maier back in the day. And yes, he is wearing a Welsh change shirt for an International match like when Shilts had top wear a Scotland top.

15fugx.jpg

Though personally, I felt he went a bit far this time:

2j2z53s.jpg

So that's where Kenny Everett got his inspiration for Brother Lee Love from. :D

hey come on people,, I'm only 5ft 7" and was a brilliant keeper in my day... In fact I might have been the only person to save a penalty from King Kevin Hector... That might have been because he didn't really take them and he was a post man at the time ?...

Archived