"Deadwood" - January sales

RamsPolls

Some people on twitter saying that Jacob Butterfield should be sent out on loan or sold.

Couldn't disagree more. He is starting thrive on his passing game under McClaren and I'm sure he will become a top player for us. People saying that he's slowing down the play too much which I agree with but he'll improve on this and I am sure Mac hasn't not noticed it and will be working on the training pitch with him on this issue. 

Butterfield should stay in my opinion.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blackmann, Weimann, Camara will need to either be sold or loaned (Weimann will want to be playing). 

Leftfield candidates are Ollson, Baird and maybe Shackell.

We always tend to think our squad is bloated, but I don't think it's too big, we could do with getting rid of a couple and just need more quality in key areas if we sell. 

5 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Could we usefully loan out a few and at least save a percentage of their wages, get them in a shop window, and help their careers by getting them regular games? 

Absolutely. 

Nick Blackman - Send on loan to a club like Rotherham, Blackburn or Barnsley to get consistent games and hopefully score a few goals. 

Darren Bent - Sell or loan to a club like Fulham, QPR or Reading. A team who would be willing to pay his wages in full and give him decent game time.

Jason Shackell - Maybe sell or loan to a half decent championship side like Leeds or Birmingham but I am fairly sure he will want to retire here and get as much wages as he can so unlikely he will leave, Probably just rot in the reserves.  

33 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

Some people on twitter saying that Jacob Butterfield should be sent out on loan or sold.

Couldn't disagree more. He is starting thrive on his passing game under McClaren and I'm sure he will become a top player for us. People saying that he's slowing down the play too much which I agree with but he'll improve on this and I am sure Mac hasn't not noticed it and will be working on the training pitch with him on this issue. 

Butterfield should stay in my opinion.

I agree, Butterfield should absolutely stay. He's a technically gifted footballer, is completely two footed, has a really good shot on him, has good vision and has good awareness of what is around. I really think he will kick on under McClaren and at 26 he still has plenty of time to develop at the club. Got a feeling him and Hughes will really start clicking together, a championship Xavi to go with our championship Iniesta :lol:.

Hmm with the caveat that a few could prove worth keeping over the coming months.

Actively try to sell:

• Wiemann 
  • Blackman
  • Camara
  • Baird (suspect he will end up in the next category)

Just let contract run out:

• Bent

Would sell if a reasonable offer comes in:

• Johnson (Provided Thorne is fit and we can bring another DM in)
  • Shackell
  • Russell (Only if a better replacement is lined up)
  • Anya (see above)

2 hours ago, RamsPolls said:

My January business would go as follows - 

Chris Martin (depending on Fulham) - If Fulham decide to pay the reported £9m fee and we don't have the decision to stop him leaving. I would bring in Britt Assombalonga. Like I've said before, Forest could be in a relegation battle this year. We could tempt him away from Forest for the right price.

Darren Bent - (SELL) - As much as I like the guy, and he played fairly well on Saturday. He just won't score the goals he used to. Not sure why he has changed but when he was on loan here he was goal poaching and scoring for fun, But now he can't even score within the six yard box. I'm sure some championship club will take him for around £1m. I am not entirely sure who to replace Bent with. Possibly Peter Crouch? Not sure at all. 

Johnny Russell (SELL) - Not a huge fan of Russell. He puts the effort in but he just doesn't have the quality to be a top championship winger. He had a great start to his career in Derby but has faded on the goal scoring front for some seasons now and barely even gets any assists. I remember when we had the chance to straight swap Matt Ritchie for Johnny Russell and I was one of the fans who said to keep him but boy do I regret that now. Matt Ritchie has developed into one the most dangerous wingers in the league and Russell has got worse if anything, And while we have Anya and Camara on the bench I don't think Russell should be starting. I would bring in Callum Mcmanaman from WBA to replace him, Mcmanaman has the work rate but is also very good at this level with goals and quality in the final 3rd in his game. 

I can't really think of anyone who should be shipped out other than Chris Baird but he won't be of interest to anyone in this league unless Fulham want their Bairdinho back. 

Now I know this is very unlikely all 3 of them players will be sold and all replaced but think of it as individual targets. If we get one over the line then we could seriously improve our squad. But like Craig Ramage said on RD, expect 3 or 4 incomings from McClaren to improve this team to the way he wants it.

Assombalonga just won't happen and despite his quality, we need to be signing players who aren't regularly in the treatment room. Getting rid of an old player on huge wages in Bent for an even older player on even larger wages in Crouch doesn't make much sense. And it's a little harsh to say you'd sell Russell because he has 'faded on the goal scoring front' and he 'barely gets any assists' despite contributing to 18 goals last season, only to replace him with McManaman who you say is 'very good at this level with goals,' despite his highest scoring season ever being 5 in the Championship.

32 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Hmm with the caveat that a few could prove worth keeping over the coming months.

Actively try to sell:

• Wiemann 
  • Blackman
  • Camara
  • Baird (suspect he will end up in the next category)

Just let contract run out:

• Bent

Would sell if a reasonable offer comes in:

• Johnson (Provided Thorne is fit and we can bring another DM in)
  • Shackell
  • Russell (Only if a better replacement is lined up)
  • Anya (see above)

I agree with all them but Anya, I know you've said he can prove himself in the lead up to January but I feel he has done enough to prove himself already. 

Got a great attitude and great work rate, Just needs to add goals to his games and he's top quality. People will say that Russell is just the same and I want Russell gone but Russell has been here many seasons now and hasn't improved his game one bit. If anything he has got worse. So time to get rid for Johnny but Anya can be top quality if he improves his final 3rd game.

Just now, Cam the Ram said:

Assombalonga just won't happen and despite his quality, we need to be signing players who aren't regularly in the treatment room. Getting rid of an old player on huge wages in Bent for an even older player on even larger wages in Crouch doesn't make much sense. And it's a little harsh to say you'd sell Russell because he has 'faded on the goal scoring front' and he 'barely gets any assists' despite contributing to 18 goals last season, only to replace him with McManaman who you say is 'very good at this level with goals,' despite his highest scoring season ever being 5 in the Championship.

Fair point... Can't argue with any of that to be fair. 

Just feel like Russell has past his sell by date and needs to be moved on. Looks far too comfortable at this club, Players need to be kept on their feet to be performing at their very best.

This thread is beyond stupid. Even suggesting to listen to offers for Anya? We just paid over 4m for the guy. Signing Assombalonga?! We just spent 8m on a striker! Britt would be 10m minimum. And Weimann as well who by all account has been one of our best players the last few times he's played. Had a beast at Brighton and Hull away the end of last season, he deserves a chance here under Mac. Russell has also been one of our better players lately...

So much has changed over the last couple of years and I'm really starting to lose touch with all this, never thought we'd act so spoilt.

4 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

Just feel like Russell has past his sell by date and needs to be moved on. Looks far too comfortable at this club, Players need to be kept on their feet to be performing at their very best.

He contributed to 19 goals last season or something like that and is struggling now out attacking hub has been loaned out and all attacking intent has been coached out of the team… no way can you say he's past his sell by date. 

7 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

We could definitely improve on Russell, but I think we need to be improving elsewhere before we try to upgrade on him. And I think Anya's arrival may have given him a bit of a kick up the backside. Since losing his place to Anya, he's looked up for it whenever coming off the bench and has seemingly got his starting spot back. 

2 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

This thread is beyond stupid. Even suggesting to listen to offers for Anya? We just paid over 4m for the guy. Signing Assombalonga?! We just spent 8m on a striker! Britt would be 10m minimum. And Weimann as well who by all account has been one of our best players the last few times he's played. Had a beast at Brighton and Hull away the end of last season, he deserves a chance here under Mac. Russell has also been one of our better players lately...

So much has changed over the last couple of years and I'm really starting to lose touch with all this, never thought we'd act so spoilt.

Spoilt? It's about getting the right fit… something we've been incapable of doing for the last two years.

Archived