"Deadwood" - January sales

RamsPolls

The term "Deadwood" has been thrown around a lot on twitter lately, Not so much on the forum but a lot of people are saying that there are certain players who need to be either loaned or sold in January.

Any ideas who you would be shipping out in January?

And if you know who you would ship out... Who would you replace them with to improve the squad. 

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tough one this...think we have too many players but until we decide how we are going to play; get a settled team and system and have everyone fit...then there is a case to be made for most players staying.

Blackman, Weimann, Camara...all at risk! But who would be able to afford their wages..plus they all have something to offer.

I don't think we have a single squad player who you could say was irreplaceable.

I hope there's some real action in January. It's what cost us in the summer.

I'd like to see a couple with more fight in thei belly. We're too nice.

And we need two forwards to replace four. 

My January business would go as follows - 

Chris Martin (depending on Fulham) - If Fulham decide to pay the reported £9m fee and we don't have the decision to stop him leaving. I would bring in Britt Assombalonga. Like I've said before, Forest could be in a relegation battle this year. We could tempt him away from Forest for the right price.

Darren Bent - (SELL) - As much as I like the guy, and he played fairly well on Saturday. He just won't score the goals he used to. Not sure why he has changed but when he was on loan here he was goal poaching and scoring for fun, But now he can't even score within the six yard box. I'm sure some championship club will take him for around £1m. I am not entirely sure who to replace Bent with. Possibly Peter Crouch? Not sure at all. 

Johnny Russell (SELL) - Not a huge fan of Russell. He puts the effort in but he just doesn't have the quality to be a top championship winger. He had a great start to his career in Derby but has faded on the goal scoring front for some seasons now and barely even gets any assists. I remember when we had the chance to straight swap Matt Ritchie for Johnny Russell and I was one of the fans who said to keep him but boy do I regret that now. Matt Ritchie has developed into one the most dangerous wingers in the league and Russell has got worse if anything, And while we have Anya and Camara on the bench I don't think Russell should be starting. I would bring in Callum Mcmanaman from WBA to replace him, Mcmanaman has the work rate but is also very good at this level with goals and quality in the final 3rd in his game. 

I can't really think of anyone who should be shipped out other than Chris Baird but he won't be of interest to anyone in this league unless Fulham want their Bairdinho back. 

Now I know this is very unlikely all 3 of them players will be sold and all replaced but think of it as individual targets. If we get one over the line then we could seriously improve our squad. But like Craig Ramage said on RD, expect 3 or 4 incomings from McClaren to improve this team to the way he wants it.

2 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I'd be moving on Weimann, Blackman and Camara unless they do something between now and then.

Weimann? I can see where you're coming from as he clearly isn't in McClaren's plans. But I would like to see him have a run of games, Clearly is the one for trying but hasn't played more than 3/4 games in a row yet. 

Just Blackman for me, I think Weimann will have a part to play. Camara can't really comment he's had a bad run of injuries.

Looks like Baird is now behind Johnson, Hanson and obviously Thorne (when fit) for DM role and 2/3rd choice for all the back 4 places. Perhaps keep him until the season is over, good to have a utility player on the bench. 

We just need a striker, I don't think the squad needs a lot of changes again. 

29 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

The term "Deadwood" has been thrown around a lot on twitter lately, Not so much on the forum but a lot of people are saying that there are certain players who need to be either loaned or sold in January.

Any ideas who you would be shipping out in January?

And if you know who you would ship out... Who would you replace them with to improve the squad. 

Baird, Baird and what's his name................that's it.... Baird......

I'd let Weimann, Blackman and Camara go if they wanted or there were offers. For their own good as much as ours. 

Baird if someone wants him, he'll go in the summer anyway. 

Bent I'd keep until the summer. 

In? A more target man striker. Worth noting that operation ostritch I think was going to rely on a Vydra/Wilson run fast for Shackells pin point long through balls - we have lost Wilson, who perhaps isn't what we needed, but it has left us light with only Vydra and Bent as proper strikers. 

41 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

My January business would go as follows - 

Chris Martin (depending on Fulham) - If Fulham decide to pay the reported £9m fee and we don't have the decision to stop him leaving. I would bring in Britt Assombalonga. Like I've said before, Forest could be in a relegation battle this year. We could tempt him away from Forest for the right price.

Fawaz has just sold florest and new owners will be in soon, plus Assombalonga signed a 4 yr contract in the summer. Keep on dreaming.

I take it we are not bringing more dead wood in?

So here goes for those to go, Camara, Blackmann,Baird and Bent if we get an offer for him, all monies added up to the rest we get for Martin should by us a replacement CF.

I would keep Weimann as cover for Anya, Russell and Ince.

24 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

Fawaz has just sold florest and new owners will be in soon, plus Assombalonga signed a 4 yr contract in the summer. Keep on dreaming.

Apparently there is a buy out clause in that contract I saw some Forest fans saying. Not sure how much it is but I'm sure players have left the following window to signing a contract. Most clubs just give them a contract to bump up their price.

Archived