"Deadwood" - January sales

RamsPolls

Fair enough maybe I was a bit knee jerk in my reaction but the start phase of Bris's post with Camara out and the doubts about Anya and Vydra when they have barely had time to get going stuck me as just as knee jerk. Looking at the whole (and he remarked on it himself ) he was in essence scrapping half our squad, which lacks realism. Add to that, maybe there was something managerial if they couldn't get something from players who obviously have a skill level applicable to this league.

The multiple changes of bosses and style and therefore team play has IMO much more to do with our modest performances than individual players that Bris seems so readily to want to dispose of. Then there is the follow on recruitment and all the trouble that brings. There were some good points in the analysis, but to apply it as a whole would be completely unworkable. 

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, jono said:

Fair enough maybe I was a bit knee jerk in my reaction but the start phase of Bris's post with Camara out and the doubts about Anya and Vydra when they have barely had time to get going stuck me as just as knee jerk. Looking at the whole (and he remarked on it himself ) he was in essence scrapping half our squad, which lacks realism. Add to that, maybe there was something managerial if they couldn't get something from players who obviously have a skill level applicable to this league.

The multiple changes of bosses and style and therefore team play has IMO much morea to do with our modest performances than individual players that Bris seems so readily to want to dispose of. Then there is the follow on recruitment and all the trouble that brings. There were some good points in the analysis, but to apply it as a whole would be completely unworkable. 

A perfectly balanced analysis Jono . 

My take on it was that up to half the current squad may not ultimately fit into mcclarens vision. not surprising when they're not his choices.

But I say "may"- there's a deal of water to flow under the bridge before we get to that stage with some of them so the departing proportion will be lower.

Also if you regard bent as approaching retirement then that's a kind of "natural" departure . 

I do agree with you that we should invest more coaching time in a number of the players before reaching the conclusion that they have no place. if we are seen to be moving on eg vydra then I would assume that's for ffp reasons in order to free up a space . we obviously cannot control which of our players might be in demand . 

I still think Vydra needs a striking partner. It's tough to be a small player leading the line.

If he had a foil I think it would help him, not least whilst everyone is currently looking to the centre forward to get goals for us because the midfield quota has dried up.

Like many others he looks a confidence player. If he gets a couple of goals, lots will follow. I hope he gets his chance again soon.

9 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I still think Vydra needs a striking partner. It's tough to be a small player leading the line.

If he had a foil I think it would help him, not least whilst everyone is currently looking to the centre forward to get goals for us because the midfield quota has dried up.

Like many others he looks a confidence player. If he gets a couple of goals, lots will follow. I hope he gets his chance again soon.

enter tall lad from Stoke.....

8 hours ago, HantsRam said:

A perfectly balanced analysis Jono . 

My take on it was that up to half the current squad may not ultimately fit into mcclarens vision. not surprising when they're not his choices.

But I say "may"- there's a deal of water to flow under the bridge before we get to that stage with some of them so the departing proportion will be lower.

Also if you regard bent as approaching retirement then that's a kind of "natural" departure . 

I do agree with you that we should invest more coaching time in a number of the players before reaching the conclusion that they have no place. if we are seen to be moving on eg vydra then I would assume that's for ffp reasons in order to free up a space . we obviously cannot control which of our players might be in demand . 

Thanks Hants 

to be honest my first post was an after dinner and a glass of red one one. I Was all mellow, positive and looking forward to Saturday. Bris was stirring the pot which is fair enough and I just bit and fired from the hip.

You are right though, there is a lot of coaching to be done and understanding of where newer players might fit in the Steve Mac mix. My feeling is that January would be way too early to be making those decisions. The process might be underway but a long way from firm conclusions.

Bent is interesting .. If he continues to look as he has done in the last couple of games, ( Wiley old head with some power and vision to offset the lack of pace ) not that ageing poacher too often caught off side then he may well have a season or more of fruitful hunting in a Rams shirt. 

58 minutes ago, jono said:

Thanks Hants 

to be honest my first post was an after dinner and a glass of red one one. I Was all mellow, positive and looking forward to Saturday. Bris was stirring the pot which is fair enough and I just bit and fired from the hip.

You are right though, there is a lot of coaching to be done and understanding of where newer players might fit in the Steve Mac mix. My feeling is that January would be way too early to be making those decisions. The process might be underway but a long way from firm conclusions.

Bent is interesting .. If he continues to look as he has done in the last couple of games, ( Wiley old head with some power and vision to offset the lack of pace ) not that ageing poacher too often caught off side then he may well have a season or more of fruitful hunting in a Rams shirt. 

Agreed - now where did I put that glass of rioja....:lol:

Archived