If not Martin, then who?

Stripperg-ram

Having just looked at @Mostyn6's poll. It seems there's a majority of people who would like to see our 'wardrobe' relieved of his goal scoring duties at Fulham and returned back home, to link up with a hungry McLaren and an attack just waiting for some hold up play, the occassional wonder goal and maybe, (ever so infrequently) a bit of a falling over to give us some free-kick based territorial/possessional advantage.

But what if he doesn't come back?

What if the big city is doing the big lad some good?

What if our sorrowful, back-water province no longer appeals?

Who should we go for then?

Basically; what next if he's not back by January?

Who else is out there in this league, or any other, that can do what he did/does?

Do we spend another £8million?

Or do we 'Clough-it-up' and find a League One wonder for £200k?

Suggestions would be handy.

Hugs and Kisses

Chris Evans

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There aren't many players out there who could do a job for us at the moment. There are many that are experienced in the championship but don't score enough goals consistently. 

If we do get the reported £9m fee for Chris Martin from Fulham in January, we should put all of our funds into getting Britt Assombalonga from Forest. 

He is lethal at this level and if we have moved up the table by January and Forest are still in a relegation battle I can see us been able to tempt him away. Him and Vydra would be one of the best partnerships in this division.

We were interested in him back in the summer but left it far too late to get a deal over the line. Also the fact that Fawaz is still in charge doesn't help our chances. If they get this takeover completed I think we would have a great chance at signing him.

I think with Fawaz in charge it would take about £12m to get him to sell to us as he would want to pocket the money and then sell the club. 

If the takeover is done before January I think it would take about £9-10m to tempt Assombalonga away from Forest. It is possible. And I would love to see him here.

5 minutes ago, Saul Pimpson said:

Genuinely think Vydra will prove to be an excellent acquisition.

However, if we're looking for a big man option then Sam Gallagher should be (and should have been!) a target.

Sam Gallagher nearly signed for us last year didn't he? Interesting to know how long his loan agreement is. Because I know Marvin Emnes is only on loan there until January. So would be interesting if Gallagher has done the same, If so we could snap him up when that loan agreement has expired.

1 minute ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Yes a swap with Grant going the other way. Would be a real handful at this level and bring Vydra in to the game as well as scoring a few himself. Would give us the presence we need up top.

Wouldn't be a bad shout. Grant's contract expires at the end of the season so would be a good bit of business. But what would happen to Darren Bent. We would need to ship him out somewhere. 2 ex-england players is more than enough.

Crouch is 35. He will soon live up to his name.

Let's be more ambitious. There are few cut-price forward solutions. 

A player who has impressed me in highlights is Sam Larsson of Heerenveen. We need flair and whilst I suspect he's out of our budget we need someone to excite the fans again.

Just now, Anag Ram said:

A player who has impressed me in highlights is Sam Larsson of Heerenveen. We need flair and whilst I suspect he's out of our budget we need someone to excite the fans again.

He would only be out of our budget if a Premier league club came in for him. If we are the only club interested then I am sure he would be happy to further his career.

24 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

He would only be out of our budget if a Premier league club came in for him. If we are the only club interested then I am sure he would be happy to further his career.

Him and Bent can run the DCFC OAP bingo club. Ffs he's not that good and we've got one old codger already!

I'd not go the ageing PL "quality" striker on the downswing of his career route myself. 

Any kind of like for like top striker in the division is going to be as much as we get in for martin to get hold of e.g. Britt

No, be sensible and buy cheap potential or a bargain from abroad. 

Buying the best available in the division has got is where we are. 

I also think Vydra could be excellent and despite poor service, when I've seen him, I think he looksva danger. 

And Chris/Steve, buy a right back at least as good as Christie. 

1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

Crouch has looked after himself and has a couple of good years left in him. My Potters season ticket mate thinks he is unlucky not to be getting more game time with them. In the past we have brought in some other old heads who have mad a real difference, McGrath, Taribo West, Gordon Cowans...I think Crouch could have a similar impact for us....

Archived