If not Martin, then who?

Stripperg-ram

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

Could Forestieri be an option? 

He didn't sign that new contract that he was promised in the summer and doesn't look very passionate about playing for Wednesday at the moment. 

Could be tempted away.

But he is similar to Vydra, we need a bigger, target man alongside him.....

Might be wrong but from what I'd seen people put on various forums, Martin's deal should have been a permanent that couldn't get over the line on deadline day so has been called a 'loan', but the club would've probably banked on the £9m that we're supposed to get for him.

With that in mind, it would look like they bought Vydra with that money, so I doubt we'd have big money to spend in the window.

Also if the Martin deal gets cancelled and he does happen to come back then maybe that could leave us short of funds and struggling to meet FFP?

4 minutes ago, simmo11 said:

Might be wrong but from what I'd seen people put on various forums, Martin's deal should have been a permanent that couldn't get over the line on deadline day so has been called a 'loan', but the club would've probably banked on the £9m that we're supposed to get for him.

With that in mind, it would look like they bought Vydra with that money, so I doubt we'd have big money to spend in the window.

Also if the Martin deal gets cancelled and he does happen to come back then maybe that could leave us short of funds and struggling to meet FFP?

From what I have taken from the information posted on various platforms the deal was too late to go over the line as a permanent deal so the clubs formed a Loan to buy option but the club wouldn't have been stupid enough to have not put a clause in there about cancelling the agreement, which is what most places are reporting. 

DET said that they think if all 3 parties agree, then Martin can be brought back to the club in January. Also I highly doubt Fulham would have signed a loan agreement that means they HAVE to pay £9m to us at the end of the season whether they want to keep Martin or not. Imagine if he broke his leg in February and they then have to pay £9m for a player who has just broke his leg and probably won't be the same ever again. It just wouldn't happen, No club is that stupid. 

In regards to the Vydra situation, We used the money from the Jeff Hendrick sale for his transfer and I highly doubt we would have signed him with the risk of not selling either Hendrick or Martin on deadline day if we were going to be in trouble with FFP. If we do get the Martin fee I would imagine that would then be allowed to be used for another player.

I think it's first important to understand what we need from a player in that role and what Martin did well. The first thought in that player's head should be 'Can I come short, link-up with the midfield and get involved in the play?'.  To do this role well it needs to be an intelligent footballer  with good technique, good awareness of what is around him, good passing ability, good positional sense (players need to instinctively know where he will be) and reasonably strong (so he won't get bulldozed by centre backs). It's no good us going out and buying a big lump to play upfront or a player who is just wants to run channels or a player purely looking to get on the end of crosses. Honestly I'd be looking at players who've played #10 well before (like Martin) to see if they would fit the bill.

In terms of specifics my initial list of players to scout would be (in a rough order of preference):

• Fernando Forestieri
  • Benik Afobe
  • Ross McCormack
  • Leonardo Ulloa
  • Lex Immers
  • Sone Aluko

6 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

From what I have taken from the information posted on various platforms the deal was too late to go over the line as a permanent deal so the clubs formed a Loan to buy option but the club wouldn't have been stupid enough to have not put a clause in there about cancelling the agreement, which is what most places are reporting. 

DET said that they think if all 3 parties agree, then Martin can be brought back to the club in January. Also I highly doubt Fulham would have signed a loan agreement that means they HAVE to pay £9m to us at the end of the season whether they want to keep Martin or not. Imagine if he broke his leg in February and they then have to pay £9m for a player who has just broke his leg and probably won't be the same ever again. It just wouldn't happen, No club is that stupid. 

In regards to the Vydra situation, We used the money from the Jeff Hendrick sale for his transfer and I highly doubt we would have signed him with the risk of not selling either Hendrick or Martin on deadline day if we were going to be in trouble with FFP. If we do get the Martin fee I would imagine that would then be allowed to be used for another player.

All loan deals can be cancelled in transfer windows, no need for a clause to be inserted.

31 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

In terms of specifics my initial list of players to scout would be (in a rough order of preference):

• Fernando Forestieri
  • Benik Afobe
  • Ross McCormack
  • Leonardo Ulloa
  • Lex Immers
  • Sone Aluko

This list would have been perfect at the start of the season...

Fernando Forestieri would be a tough one to get but not impossible. 

Benik Afobe is probably the most likely out of the whole list as he has been at Bournemouth for just about a year now and isn't getting any game time at all. Would be very good in this team and scores for fun.

Ross McCormack is never going to leave Villa this season, His wages will be huge and even though he isn't playing every minute of every game, He is still involved in a very talented squad. 

Leonardo Ulloa unlikely to drop down to the championship, If he was to leave Leicester it would be to a lower table prem side who are struggling for goals. 

Lex Immers is a fairly average striker, Can hold the ball up alright but not do much else. 

Sone Aluko, A bit like McCormack. Not going to leave Fulham when he's just signed this summer. Wouldn't really want him here anyway, Just a poor mans Vydra. 

Ulloa and Afobe stand out as quality strikers who will be wanting more game time than they're getting.

Although Ulloa would be giving up a chance of playing some part in the latter stages (maybe even the final) of the champions league - that would be a tough decision to make. And Afobe is probably happy to fight for his place at Premier league level. 

I think we'll be disappointed if we start looking at those two.

19 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

This list would have been perfect at the start of the season...

Fernando Forestieri would be a tough one to get but not impossible. 

Benik Afobe is probably the most likely out of the whole list as he has been at Bournemouth for just about a year now and isn't getting any game time at all. Would be very good in this team and scores for fun.

Ross McCormack is never going to leave Villa this season, His wages will be huge and even though he isn't playing every minute of every game, He is still involved in a very talented squad. 

Leonardo Ulloa unlikely to drop down to the championship, If he was to leave Leicester it would be to a lower table prem side who are struggling for goals. 

Lex Immers is a fairly average striker, Can hold the ball up alright but not do much else. 

Sone Aluko, A bit like McCormack. Not going to leave Fulham when he's just signed this summer. Wouldn't really want him here anyway, Just a poor mans Vydra. 

I largely agree with your assessments there, this was just a list of players that sprung to mind that could fit the bill.

10 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

Ulloa and Afobe stand out as quality strikers who will be wanting more game time than they're getting.

Although Ulloa would be giving up a chance of playing some part in the latter stages (maybe even the final) of the champions league - that would be a tough decision to make. And Afobe is probably happy to fight for his place at Premier league level. 

I think we'll be disappointed if we start looking at those two.

Of course we might be, I just saw those two as players who given the game time they are getting might be willing to take the step down and fit the ball of what we need in a player.

15 hours ago, RiddingsRam said:

I think the big guy with the silly hair from QPR would suit us well . Sebastian Polter .

Just about to post this fella but thought I'd read through the thread first and saw you beat me to it with the very first reply Riddings.

I like Polter. Could be a great acquisition for us.

I think if we're looking for a striker similar to Martin, assuming he doesn't want to come back, I think we should be looking at the Eredivisie and the league below it (let's be honest, no one knows it's name, so I'll call it Eredivisie 2). They often play the 4-3-3 system that we do and have loads of strikers over there who have spent most of their career playing what we'd call the Martin role.

Vincent Janssen, who Spurs just spent about 20 million on, transferred from Eredivisie 2 to AZ Alkmaar for around 500K in 2015. That's the sort of transfer we need to be looking for, we need to be unearthing a decent striker from a league like that. Now I'm not saying we need to be getting someone THAT good for that cheap, but that's the sort of vein of striker we should be looking at.

Hope Chris Evans hasn't been sitting on his arse all this time and has been looking into players.

1 minute ago, Leicester Ram said:

I think if we're looking for a striker similar to Martin, assuming he doesn't want to come back, I think we should be looking at the Eredivisie and the league below it (let's be honest, no one knows it's name, so I'll call it Eredivisie 2). They often play the 4-3-3 system that we do and have loads of strikers over there who have spent most of their career playing what we'd call the Martin role.

Vincent Janssen, who Spurs just spent about 20 million on, transferred from Eredivisie 2 to AZ Alkmaar for around 500K in 2015. That's the sort of transfer we need to be looking for, we need to be unearthing a decent striker from a league like that. Now I'm not saying we need to be getting someone THAT good for that cheap, but that's the sort of vein of striker we should be looking at.

Hope Chris Evans hasn't been sitting on his arse all this time and has been looking into players.

That's a good point. This could very well the route we take, particularly as McClaren has experience in dutch football.

5 hours ago, RamsPolls said:

There aren't many players out there who could do a job for us at the moment. There are many that are experienced in the championship but don't score enough goals consistently. 

If we do get the reported £9m fee for Chris Martin from Fulham in January, we should put all of our funds into getting Britt Assombalonga from Forest. 

He is lethal at this level and if we have moved up the table by January and Forest are still in a relegation battle I can see us been able to tempt him away. Him and Vydra would be one of the best partnerships in this division.

We were interested in him back in the summer but left it far too late to get a deal over the line. Also the fact that Fawaz is still in charge doesn't help our chances. If they get this takeover completed I think we would have a great chance at signing him.

I think with Fawaz in charge it would take about £12m to get him to sell to us as he would want to pocket the money and then sell the club. 

If the takeover is done before January I think it would take about £9-10m to tempt Assombalonga away from Forest. It is possible. And I would love to see him here.

To be fair I've been saying this for a while, Assombalonga is a good player. I think if he can get back to fitness he could be great for us.....and the scum down the road would go absolutely mad if we signed him, so even better :D 

Archived