Derby County vs Sheff Weds - matchday thread.

Rev

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bent obviously more impressive in training with the system Mac wants to play plus I would say his career record says he is a better finisher than Vydra.We need to get the ball in the right areas for him to show it and we have not done so for any forward this season.

Like I said. Neither contribute much in the build up. Neither really bring the midfield forward. Both look for the final ball.

But with the amount of crossing we do then at least Bent is decent in the air. 

It's not like we're missing much from Vydra right now. 

Just now, Millenniumram said:

Also why is Lowe not playing when he's fit? Been a damn sight better than Olsson this season

I'm not sure on that one. Could be a case of managing Lowe carefully what with him being only 19 and make sure he is actually fully fit.

1 minute ago, brady1993 said:

He has spurned quite a few chances though and has looked out of place upfront on his own. 

I don't disagree with that, I said all along we should have bought another striker to play with him, but I can tell you he's a damn sight better on his own than mr offside nowadays 

Just now, Alpha said:

Like I said. Neither contribute much in the build up. Neither really bring the midfield forward. Both look for the final ball.

But with the amount of crossing we do then at least Bent is decent in the air. 

It's not like we're missing much from Vydra right now. 

You can't judge a player just based on their heading ability. Sure he gets his head on the ball a lot from crosses but usually the ball flies over the bar. Also, the wingers we have like to cut inside, not cross. His style of play is completely different to the rest of the team.

2 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

I'm not sure on that one. Could be a case of managing Lowe carefully what with him being only 19 and make sure he is actually fully fit.

Possibly that's the idea, it's understandable if he's not fully fit but when he is I'd much prefer him in there looks a real talent

Just now, Millenniumram said:

I don't disagree with that, I said all along we should have bought another striker to play with him, but I can tell you he's a damn sight better on his own than mr offside nowadays 

You may well be right and I do kinda lean towards your view of picking Vydra but I can full well understand what McClaren is trying here.

Neither Vydra or Bent will help link the midfield up both are purely looking for that final pass, Bent will provide more of a threat from crosses. Perhaps Bent has been good training and what with Vydra not performing McClaren thinks Bent deserves a run out.

5 minutes ago, JarodyDCFC said:

You can't judge a player just based on their heading ability. Sure he gets his head on the ball a lot from crosses but usually the ball flies over the bar. Also, the wingers we have like to cut inside, not cross. His style of play is completely different to the rest of the team.

But Vydra isn't exactly clicking with our playing style either. 

To be fair Bent did score quite a few tap ins in pre season. Who cares if he is going to be offside more times than we can count - as long as he we get the ball to him and he is no further than 5 yards out we are going to be drowning in goals today.

Don't know how midfield is going to pan out with the changes, but good to see Hanson getting a look in again.

1 minute ago, brady1993 said:

You may well be right and I do kinda lean towards your view of picking Vydra but I can full well understand what McClaren is trying here.

Neither Vydra or Bent will help link the midfield up both are purely looking for that final pass, Bent will provide more of a threat from crosses. Perhaps Bent has been good training and what with Vydra not performing McClaren thinks Bent deserves a run out.

But Ince and Russell both like to cut inside. They aren't wide midfielders. Hopefully Christie knows that Bent is a threat from crosses but with his decision making skills he probably won't put in a single cross. 

Archived