Derby County vs Sheff Weds - matchday thread.

Rev

2 minutes ago, GenBr said:

To be fair Bent did score quite a few tap ins in pre season. Who cares if he is going to be offside more times than we can count - as long as he we get the ball to him and he is no further than 5 yards out we are going to be drowning in goals today.

Don't know how midfield is going to pan out with the changes, but good to see Hanson getting a look in again.

I agree there. Better to play him as a Poacher rather than a target man. Maybe he could score a few rebounds from Butterfields long shots.

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

You may well be right and I do kinda lean towards your view of picking Vydra but I can full well understand what McClaren is trying here.

Neither Vydra or Bent will help link the midfield up both are purely looking for that final pass, Bent will provide more of a threat from crosses. Perhaps Bent has been good training and what with Vydra not performing McClaren thinks Bent deserves a run out.

A year ago I'd have said bent was definitely worth a shot, but sadly now I don't think he guarantees the goals he used to- hope he proves me wrong tho, it's sad to see a player who's had such a brilliant career struggle so badly 

Just now, JarodyDCFC said:

Ok maybe Vydra isn't but Bent is just as bad. Vydra has scored more goals than Bent since the start of this season.

Oh I don't disagree with that. In fairness to Bent though he has had less game time this season than Vydra.

Personally I don't think we have got any great option to play up front, it's why I'm not surprised Bent is being tried again. 

3 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

A year ago I'd have said bent was definitely worth a shot, but sadly now I don't think he guarantees the goals he used to- hope he proves me wrong tho, it's sad to see a player who's had such a brilliant career struggle so badly 

Oh don't get me wrong, I don't particularly rate him but I don't rate any of our striking options really. 

I just don't think it's that much of a shocking change.

1 minute ago, brady1993 said:

Oh I don't disagree with that. In fairness to Bent though he has had less game time this season than Vydra.

Personally I don't think we have got any great option to play up front, it's why I'm not surprised Bent is being tried again. 

Agreed. But the reason Bent has had less game time is simple, he's past it.

Just now, JarodyDCFC said:

Agreed. But the reason Bent has had less game time is simple, he's past it.

Oh quite probably. The question is though, is a past it Bent more effective than an ineffectual Vydra?

I'd have guessed probably not and would have picked Vydra but I don't watch players in training. For all we know Bent could be on absolute fire in training. 

Just now, brady1993 said:

Oh quite probably. The question is though, is a past it Bent more effective than an ineffectual Vydra?

I'd have guessed probably not and would have picked Vydra but I don't watch players in training. For all we know Bent could be on absolute fire in training. 

Hopefully that's the case. I would honestly start an in form Bent over Vydra.

3 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Possibly, you don't usually play offsides in training.

It's Weimann I feel sorry for, deserves a chance as centre forward in my opinion. But think him and vydra as a 2 would be lethal at this level. 

Just now, Doodle said:

Possibly, you don't usually play offsides in training.

It's Weimann I feel sorry for, deserves a chance as centre forward in my opinion. But think him and vydra as a 2 would be lethal at this level. 

Honestly Weimann just seems like a worse Vydra and you'd have the same problems with him up top. You'd also have problems playing them as a two because neither are interested in linking with the midfield and a defence could completely stop them by playing a deepish line.

3 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Honestly Weimann just seems like a worse Vydra and you'd have the same problems with him up top. You'd also have problems playing them as a two because neither are interested in linking with the midfield and a defence could completely stop them by playing a deepish line.

Has he even made a start for us this season?

Aaaaaand we're off! Ooh lively start as Bent is called offside. Great chance for derby here! And they score! Wait. Bent was offside. It wont count. Oh and here comes Butterfield and he takes a shot from the halfway lineee...... it's over.

Just repeat that about 100 times and you have your match commentary.

Archived