Cyrus Christie

Sexydadbod

On 19/10/2016 at 08:01, LazloW said:

I think the criticism is a bit harsh and a bit easy. Don't really see too much wrong defensively and he does gets into a lot of good positions going forward. His crossing is weak (needs to do it earlier) but I don't think the positions Ince takes helps him, as he generally hides behind the opposition fullback and doesn't always give an option. 

As others have said, if he was as good as people expect him to be, he wouldn't be playing for us. Expectations of players need to reflect the level we are at. For me, he is doing OK.

Cannot agree with this AT ALL.

From where I sit (front row of west stand, just in front of the 18 yard line) I can see there is always so much free space that is being left by Christie and its getting exploited. He has been slow and lethargic when getting back in to position and his starting position is too high. On the odd occasion he is actually on the edge of the box when the opposition is attacking he gets tied in knots and puts pressure on Keogh who has to fix the issue.

Would like to see him have a few games on the bench and play Anya at right back. This will allow Russell or Weimann a place on the left and I reckon that Anya and Ince would be a good combination down that side.

Christie vs Brentford:

Passing - 60%

0a224147442f452cae7a1e9859e0d9f6.png

Chances Created - 1

663837eb6b26430fb0180ddc50fef157.png

Crosses - 6

803cb1da8d02495aa0c1a284cdc2825f.png

Tackles - 17%

32097a52bc5d4753ba43c6f4abad56b6.png

Aerial Duels - 40%

c7a6850dc05f467681026cf8ad62a6f9.png

Interceptions - 2

db00bab224c945d6a94c61c3892630c8.png

Clearances - 5

32a3f492a51640f3a6bf136faff02d47.png

Blocks - 1

d9a924194d79412396ad9420d98a4df9.png

There are a few stats there that are a bit worrying IMO. Whats the point in exerting yourself to get into positions if 5 out of 6 crosses are a failure. Some of the his passing in our half is poor, you want to be completing passes there to build possession. Not winning aerial duels in our half and not getting tackles done in our half either. Only one chance created and that wasnt even near the 18 yard box.

Unfortunately I couldnt find any heat maps so this is a representation of what I see Christie do in front of me:

021575c87b744e4da91ade4a00b42c15.png

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@RicME85 agree with you regarding his positioning, looks very poor to me but one thing he does have is the pace to atone for that.

The key stat for Christie should be how many goals he is costing us and to be honest I don't remember many.

He does have the pace but the last few games he hasnt really been using it, instead just meandering back. We have gone from having Martin moping around the pitch with hands on hips to Christie doing it.

He hasnt cost a goal in a while I dont think but he is putting pressure on Keogh and Carson as players are getting in behind too easy.

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

The key stat for Christie should be how many goals he is costing us and to be honest I don't remember many.

whilst you're definitely correct in that, his reluctance to release the ball is costing us potential goals. 

3 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

whilst you're definitely correct in that, his reluctance to release the ball is costing us potential goals. 

It's not just costing us potential goals but it creates undue defensive pressure when he is losing possession as often as he has been doing of late.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone had an update on his contract situation?

Now he has had a good game I imagine he will kick on from this and carry on his good form. 

But his contract is up at the end of the season? Do we want him playing week in week out if we are just going to let him go for a free at the end of the season. 

If he hasn't signed a contract by the end of December I would be looking to offload him for whatever fee we can get. 

Just now, r_wilcockson said:

Out for a minimum of 3 months according to Cyrus himself :(

If that's true that is a huge shame for both us and Cyrus himself.

I do find it a bit odd that he was considered fit enough to start the 2nd half if its such a serious injury. Hopefully that decision will not have made the problem worse.

3 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

If that's true that is a huge shame for both us and Cyrus himself.

I do find it a bit odd that he was considered fit enough to start the 2nd half if its such a serious injury. Hopefully that decision will not have made the problem worse.

I remember when Bortien did his knee ligaments and he carried on and finished the game.

The gamble now is do you line up a replacement in January or go with what we have?

In the squad we have Anya, Hanson, Keogh, Baird, Stabana all capable of playing at RB non i really fancy over christie but Anya is a good attacking option. Hanson and baird seem to struggle playing full back. Keogh should remain at  CB in my opinion but is capable at RB. I haven't seen Stabana but i gather it's probably too soon for him. 

Chris Solly is my outside option for January.

Gutted for the lad, looked a completely different player last couple of games, Ince especially will really miss his runs.  There must've been 3-4 times on Saturday when his overlap opened up space for others.  

Schteve's really gonna have to earn his corn with this one as we could see on Saturday that Hanson isn't a natural RB.  Baird would be steady enough defensively, but will offer us nothing going forward.  perhaps a switch to a Chelsea-esq 3-4-3???

Archived