Cyrus Christie

Sexydadbod

10 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Cyrus and Tom just don't suit each other. Someone like John Brayford would make Ince an England player.

Football is a team game and those two just don't gel. I don't think he's a bad player, I don't think Tom is either, they just don't get the best out of each other..

Bit like David and Boycie....

There was a point last night in the 1st half where Christie came running out with the ball with space infront of him. Rather than staying central and pulling opposition players away from Christie, Ince runs into the space wanting the perfectly timed pass. In doing this, he also brings two defenders with him and closing the space and limiting Christie's options. Cue half attempted pass by Christie where we lose the ball. Now, not saying it's Ince's fault or Christie's. The problem is they want to be in the same place at the same time and there's too little cohesion between them

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Hate to break it to you, he never really had a footballing brain. Endeavour just got him through.

He was woefully inept today, but he cannot be faulted as he played his best.

We have to accept that he may not just be good enough.

Decision making today probably cost is the win. Too many touches, wrong passes etc

Pleased it's not just me ! He's not good enough for this level ! 

59 minutes ago, TroyDyer said:

I remember reading on here that he was one of the best right backs in the league. 

I kept thinking about that statement last night. 

Yeah I remember this well, it was in a conversation about 6-7 weeks ago when I suggested he was rubbish

1 minute ago, James1989 said:

Yeah I remember this well, it was in a conversation about 6-7 weeks ago when I suggested he was rubbish

I think we established it was his Mum who thought he was the best RB in the league. After the last 2 games she has changed her mind. 

Christie is the ultimate confidence player - if it's low he looks so much out of his depth at Championship level. He has most of the attributes needed for the position he plays - physical strength, decent dribbling skills and more than enough pace for effective over-lapping - but his final decision making is usually wrong. There was one incident in the second half where he charged forward, easily beat a couple of players then instead of making the pass, tried to beat a third defender, lost possession and Brentford then broke at pace, leaving us horribly exposed at the back.

As far as staying at Derby is concerned, it's up to the coaching staff to do what's required to improve on his shortcomings to the point where he can eliminate most of the errors - after all, he's got one of the best fullbacks the Rams have had in decades to learn from.

One thing's for sure, the reaction of the crowd when things go wrong, whilst understandable,  certainly isn't going to help the lad restore that vital ingredient all players need - confidence.

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

Do you think he gets on his own nerves when they watch the matches back?

Probably but he is more than likely singing a tune in his head that goes something like

I know a song that'll get on yer nerves, get on yer nerves, get on yer nerves

13 hours ago, McLovin said:

What's happened to the lad? It's like Nigel Pearson stole his footballing brain as Cyrus seems void of all ideas when he gets the ball at the moment. He is a shadow of the player he was last season ,where I thought he was one of our most improved players. This needs to be addressed quickly because he is quite clearly the weak link in our team at the moment and he all know he went off the rails a bit in a footballing sense when Mac was here last time. He is a strange one and it seems the 'Jeff Hendrick disease' has spread to him where he performs better when he has less time on the ball and less time to think.Another Martin O'Neil arm around the shoulder to do the trick?

This needs to be addressed in January along with the other serious problem of the need for a goal scorer.

What to do about the right back situation... whichever fool decided we were safe to go into the season with Christie as our only real option at right back is a fool imo. The blokes a total bloody liability and was so poor last night it would be unjust for him to be in the lineup on Saturday, but I don't see what option we have. It's a shame because he's got the technical skill, but not the brain to play at the level we need, his decision making is some of the worst I've seen from a Derby player, not to mention his woeful crossing- we've just gotta hope MAC can sort him out and bloody quickly!

The problem is that under Mac his confidence and performances dipped so badly that you would have let him go on a free ,,, maybe c Powell can coach him to be a better player but it's hard as decision making and football brain is kind of instinctive and you tend to have it naturally or not as the case may be especially the pacy breaking type players as opposed to the Thorne type  ,, there is a case for Derby coaching staff working very hard on Christie and ince as a unit as I think it is fair comment that they just don't seem to gel and for me they both have similar qualities and faults ( kind of) in terms of they both can at times look to be very good with massive potential but both  hold the ball too long or run down blind alleys a hell of a lot and I think them playing on the same wing magnifies their faults , make the pair of them play two touch defence and attack day in day out in training? 

First and foremost, Christie is a defender, and we have the 3rd best defence in the division.

He is infuriating going forward but he's brave enough to keep trying. If more of the team were as brave as he is then we would not be using him as our main outlet.

Clement tried to get rid of him last season, I wonder the reaction would have been if he had suceeded then and I wonder who was earmarked as his replacement?

I would have thought that a defender who is not afraid to venture up front; one who has an effective footballing brain, and shows effective positional skills, is just the type of player who would flourish under the MacPowells.

The carrot and stick management method would work with Cyrus. I have not seen enough of his recent play but know that he has skill and potential. Such a drastic dip in form suggests a motivational issue. Recent events at the club may have sapped his enthusiasm and affected his self belief. 

We're in an exciting new era Cyrus and you're the man  to give it all you've got and go for it!

Oh, and we as supporters need to get behind him and encourage, not dampen, his revival of form.

Here endeth the lesson.

2 minutes ago, kingsy1884 said:

I said in the whole of pre season we need an attacking RB to challenge with Christie. De Laet was my choice but there are still plenty other ones out there  as well like Chris Solly at Charlton .

It hurts me to see De Laet play for Villa :( he would have been perfect for this team. 

21 hours ago, SecretDave said:

I would play Anya at right back. Give Christie a break from the team, hopefully to sort himself out. We've got plenty of wing options to replace Anya. I'd quite like to see Weimann and Russell have a go.

Spot on. Anya will give his all there, play more intelligently and could develop into the role as Forsyth did. I imagine Russell will soon claim one of the front 3 births meaning Anya becomes an expensive bench warmer or could possibly be the full back that fits our attacking style of play perfectly.

I wonder if Cyrus will sign a new contract? 

As its up at the end of the season its a very risky move from Derby if we don't get any cover in January.

If he hasn't signed a contract by the end of the January transfer window then I wouldn't be playing him in the XI.

If he doesn't want to sign a contract then he mustn't want to be at the club so why have someone playing in the starting XI that doesn't want to be here and is only playing for another contract somewhere else.

That been said, I wonder if we are actually offering him a contract. There hasn't been any paper talk about him being offered one so maybe the club aren't ready yet.

Doubt we could get more than £1m for him in January to be honest with the current market and all these Pre-Contract agreements starting to become a thing in England. 

I'd sell him to either a lower table Championship club, Guess you could include us in that category at the moment, And then I'd go for someone from this league who we know can perform week in week out. 

Someone like Nathan Byrne from Wigan, Solid RB at this level - Can Defend or attack and has bags of pace.

Or even James Tavernier from Rangers - Has played in this league before with numerous clubs and now plays for Rangers.

Just a thought INCASE Cyrus doesn't sign a contract. We will need to replace him. As if we wait till the summer and he leaves on a free, This then means we are without a natural first team RB in the squad. Which in sense means clubs can over charge for players we go in for because they know we are desperate to get them in and the further we leave it closer to the beginning of next season the more pricier they will become.

Just a thought on Cyrus' future.

Archived