Cyrus Christie

Sexydadbod

What's happened to the lad? It's like Nigel Pearson stole his footballing brain as Cyrus seems void of all ideas when he gets the ball at the moment. He is a shadow of the player he was last season ,where I thought he was one of our most improved players. This needs to be addressed quickly because he is quite clearly the weak link in our team at the moment and he all know he went off the rails a bit in a footballing sense when Mac was here last time. He is a strange one and it seems the 'Jeff Hendrick disease' has spread to him where he performs better when he has less time on the ball and less time to think.Another Martin O'Neil arm around the shoulder to do the trick?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Said exactly the same at the match. Clearly devoid of any ideas going forward and lacks a defensive brain. He is seriously the weak link in the team and teams will identify this soon.

I wonder if the contract situation is playing him his mind, it's due for renewal in the summer and no talk of it being extended yet.

maybe he has reached his level and we should look at moving on and upgrading

Hate to break it to you, he never really had a footballing brain. Endeavour just got him through.

He was woefully inept today, but he cannot be faulted as he played his best.

We have to accept that he may not just be good enough.

Decision making today probably cost is the win. Too many touches, wrong passes etc

He is one of the few players we have who have genuine attacking flair but then having done the difficult bit runs out of grey matter. Over hit crosses, momentary hesitation when there is nothing standing in his way.

He books the holiday, flies across the world. Gets to the hotel, finds his trunks, walks down to the pool, then dives head first in to the shallow end. He could be so good but .....

Cyrus and Tom just don't suit each other. Someone like John Brayford would make Ince an England player.

Football is a team game and those two just don't gel. I don't think he's a bad player, I don't think Tom is either, they just don't get the best out of each other..

Bit like David and Boycie....

Oh look there's Tom Ince free. I wonder if someone else is in a better position. I'll just beat this guy. Then that guy. Oh there's Hughes. I wonder if someone else is in a better position. Hey! Tom Ince is still screaming at me! Hi Tom! Back in a minute. I'll just take on this guy. There you go Tom. 

Oh Tom, you had no space! 

(After 2 or 3 years it gets old)

A lot of criticism of Ince comes from Christies bad decision making. Look how quick both Baird and Lowe have looked to get it out to the winger on the left compared to the 2/3/4 touches Christie takes before rolling it behind Ince at which point he has two defenders in his way and means he has to go backwards which causes criticism of him. Unjust in my opinion.

On Saturday when we had possession of the ball both fullbacks went wide to the touchline, last night that never happened once. 

Some how Christie is being picked almost every week and for me he is out of his depth in the Championship, how he is an international is beyond me. 

Wheres Anne Robinson when you need her..... "You are the weakest link....etc etc" :D

We just need to arrange friendly against Gibraltar and let him score...

To every single footballer confidence means a lot, but boy does Cyrus take it to another level.

Cristiano Ronaldo has 7 sport psychologists and he is certainly not lacking confidence. Cyrus should start with one as soon as possible.

I think the criticism is a bit harsh and a bit easy. Don't really see too much wrong defensively and he does gets into a lot of good positions going forward. His crossing is weak (needs to do it earlier) but I don't think the positions Ince takes helps him, as he generally hides behind the opposition fullback and doesn't always give an option. 

As others have said, if he was as good as people expect him to be, he wouldn't be playing for us. Expectations of players need to reflect the level we are at. For me, he is doing OK.

3 minutes ago, hiltonram said:

Hes crap get rid.

at least put some intelligence into your posts! Such a lazy comment. For starters, we cannot 'get rid' until January at the earliest, and similarly, we cannot acquire a replacement until then either.

53 minutes ago, LazloW said:

I think the criticism is a bit harsh and a bit easy. Don't really see too much wrong defensively and he does gets into a lot of good positions going forward. His crossing is weak (needs to do it earlier) but I don't think the positions Ince takes helps him, as he generally hides behind the opposition fullback and doesn't always give an option. 

As others have said, if he was as good as people expect him to be, he wouldn't be playing for us. Expectations of players need to reflect the level we are at. For me, he is doing OK.

Agree with this in the main. From what I've seen of the lad this season he's a willing runner, always showing up for the ball and wanting to get forward. Defensively he does ok too, he gets stuck in and let's not forget for every foray into the opponents final third, he has to make his way back to our final third pretty sharpish. I don't think his effort and commitment can be questioned which is the minimum you can ask from a player when they step over the white line.

The issues for me are passing / crossing / decision making when in such gloriously promising positions. They are not of the level required for Championship standard and the concerning aspect is that i'm sure he is aware of this and yet still can't find a Derby man in the area when in such a position to do so after many many months of trying.

I'm not sure what work he does in training to try and improve but his distribution and delivery just won't cut it in this league. I've seen league 1 players deliver consistently into the right areas so it's a concern. I disagree with Lazlo in the sense that I feel Lazlo does Derby a disservice. Derby are a huge club with huge resources relatively speaking and we can definitely do better than Christie (without wanting to disrespect Cyrus here) and it's just a case of finding that improvement somewhere from another player.

The sad thing is that Cyrus only has to improve this area of his game and he'd be just about the finished article for this level at least but it seems it is not possible. Although i'm hopeful he can get better and will continue to give him the encouragement he needs to keep at it whilst he's in the side. The groans from the crowd when he wastes another opportunity are understandable but they make it a lot worse for the lad. He isn't doing it deliberately and if he's not up to scratch then it's Shteve who should be the one to pull him up on this.

In his defence also, the crossing and especially corners we take from various players is consistently poor so he's not alone. The amount of corners we waste that land on an opponents boot or head and away to safety, that don't beat the first man or are overhit is quite incredible for this level of football and it has shocked me a little with me being used to a much inferior standard. I don't get excited about corners anymore as nothing ever really happens from them directly. This goes for crosses into the area too. Really needs working on.

I'm happy for Cyrus to be in the team but his deliveries need to start paying off for us and soon.

4 hours ago, Alpha said:

Oh look there's Tom Ince free. I wonder if someone else is in a better position. I'll just beat this guy. Then that guy. Oh there's Hughes. I wonder if someone else is in a better position. Hey! Tom Ince is still screaming at me! Hi Tom! Back in a minute. I'll just take on this guy. There you go Tom. 

Oh Tom, you had no space! 

(After 2 or 3 years it gets old)

Haha, brilliant.

I was actually Christie running down the wing just for a second.

Archived