Let's not get carried away...

wixman1884

...actually I'm already getting pretty carried away. Despite being a whisker away from a last minute equalizer,  we were able to hold on to what could be a very important win. I think the result and positive atmosphere could be exactly what the fans and players needed to really kick on to a fairly successful campaign. 

I'm maybe still a bit skeptical of McClaren's ability to turn around a bad situation when morale hits rock bottom,  but a win on Tuesday and I think confidence and positivity will be through the roof.  Hopefully enough for us to really start seeing the best from this squad and carry us into a top 6 finish with a dramatic wembley finale.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think you're right to be cautiously optimistic. This isn't like last time where we were complete underdogs and had zero expectation. As soon as we get a run going teams will immediately take note.

Although we still have lots to improve on, yesterday was still miles better than any of the tripe we produced under Pearson, and has given us all hope again for the rest of the season.

We can't get carried away really, not yet anyway.

Having said that over the last 3 games we have seen improvements since NP left.

And yesterday we beat an inform Leeds side who have won 5 out of the last 6.

Lots of positives to take, but plenty still to do.

Only 7 points off the playoffs, easily reachable if we can put a good run together.

I think people need to accept thT Leeds are no longer a joke side in this division, they are now are very good ball playing side with quality in most areas. They won 5 on the bounce recently. 

That in itself makes this win more important than it being Macs first game or our first home win. We beat a team who will probably be challenging for the top 6. Considering our other two wins have been against Preston and Cardiff this makes the win a very big deal. And plus it's against the Dirties.

Why when we have a reason to feel more optimistic does someone have to turn up like the grim reaper and remind us that we could fail? Like those people who arrive on their sunbed on the first day of a long awaited holiday and say 'this time next week we'll be back at work' :unsure:

Brentford next, another good side who will want to get a result after losing to Newcastle. We have the players good enough to win this comfortably however, to do that, we need Mac to get them to put the ball in the back of the net more often. What is Phillips getting paid for ? I believe we have the worst shots to goals ratio in the division. When we start scoring 2,3 and 4 then I will maybe start thinking that we have turned that corner. Scoring one is just inviting the inevitable late pressure that we more often than not succumb to. Having to hold on 6 mins into time added on at the end is not doing my ticker much good ? Good win though. 3 points in the bag, 7 points from playoffs. Happy days ? 

5 hours ago, ramant62 said:

Brentford next, another good side who will want to get a result after losing to Newcastle. We have the players good enough to win this comfortably however, to do that, we need Mac to get them to put the ball in the back of the net more often. What is Phillips getting paid for ? I believe we have the worst shots to goals ratio in the division. When we start scoring 2,3 and 4 then I will maybe start thinking that we have turned that corner. Scoring one is just inviting the inevitable late pressure that we more often than not succumb to. Having to hold on 6 mins into time added on at the end is not doing my ticker much good ? Good win though. 3 points in the bag, 7 points from playoffs. Happy days ? 

Brentford have only picked up 4 points out of a possible 18 on the road. :)

Mind you we've only picked up 5 points from a possible 18 at home. :whistle:

6 hours ago, ramant62 said:

I would respectfully request that Mel gives Dean Saunders a ring, now that boy could finish and I think Steve coached him first time around ?

7 hours ago, Ewe Ram said:

Why when we have a reason to feel more optimistic does someone have to turn up like the grim reaper and remind us that we could fail? Like those people who arrive on their sunbed on the first day of a long awaited holiday and say 'this time next week we'll be back at work' :unsure:

"It's the Derby Way" Ewe :blink::D

8 hours ago, ramant62 said:

To be fair, our shot/goal ratio is so poor cus a lot of them were from distance thanks to Big Nige's crap tactics giving the team zero chance to break beyond the opposition...

This win and if we can get a win over Brentford will be the start we desperately needed to put the focus firmly back on football and go a long way to settling  s Mac down ,, the interview with s Mac on his return and the insistence on apologies though probably needed was kind of cringeworthy and put the emphasis on us nailing him to the cross a bit? But a win against Leeds and Brentford says ok your back , your back because the football we played under you last time was fantastic to watch and made us feel it was only a matter of time before that brand of football got us promoted and here we go again,. , I was totally 50 /50 on his reappointment but you know what sometimes a club and a manager are just right for each other and produce that bit of luck together ,,, anybody else feel that with Pearson or Powell in charge Leeds would have knicked one back late on and kicked us and our confidence in the nuts on Saturday but although we did nt do much very different our luck held and the footballing gods smiled on us , ,,,,, mildly optimistic now 70/30 on the the positive side for the reappointment just now

I don't care who we are playing tomorrow night, let them worry about us!

thats what I used to think during SM's last spell here, teams will not look forward to playing us now and the top six is not far away at all.

If this team/squad can finally click and we get our injured players back especially Thorne then even the fans against appointing SM will ride the wave of positivity with us.

Glimpses of what we used to be on Saturday, a few more, more frequently and I think we'll get back to a good place soon. 

Is Bryson still annoyed at mcClaren for a)not playing him at Wembley b) convincing him to sack burnley off and sign with us for five years, before jumping ship himself c) after his most successful season,ruining his form by forcing him to play defensive or all of the above? 

Archived