Derby County v Brentford

Bwash_Ram

22 minutes ago, jono said:

Nice one Tony. I always like your background info. I am the worst sort of partisan fan. Apart from a few big names or those who have been hanging around a while, I rarely know much about the other sides players.

I reckon the boost from Saturday will carry us over the line. The squad is big enough to cope with any minor injuries. I'm not over confident and won't feel comfortable until I've seen how we look from an intent POV in the first 15 mins. Start on the front foot and baring accidents we will win it. Vydra and Ince both need a goal, and we need to see a score line that is more than just "hung on" or "just nicked it"

COYR 

To be honest Jono, I wouldn't be very much interested in the lower leagues myself if i'd not grown up with them so nothing to be concerned about. I still watch a lot of lower league / non league stuff as i'm used to it. Going to Derby is my luxury. :D

I'm still learning a lot about Championship squad players as other than a few highlights on telly or those with Prem experience who have dropped down, I don't know much of the seasoned Championship players so we're equal. :p

Thanks for the kind words anyway Jono.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

I don't think we can take this game for granted as IMO Brentford are a vastly underrated side and if we lost this game I wouldn't at all be surprised. They are doing well in the league and will be tough opponents. Tougher than Leeds, Ipswich and Blackburn who we have faced at home recently. I think for once this season we need to score early, at least in the first half and then I reckon we could go on and win the game but I have a feeling they will score.

There are only a few players I know a bit about admittedly. Scott Hogan is on fire and I saw a bit of him playing for Rochdale. He appears to have made the step up and that seems to be a theme of Brentford in giving players from the lower reaches an opportunity. Same could be said for 'keeper Dan Bentley. Did excellently for Southend over a good few years and now plying his trade at a higher level and kept a good few clean sheets already this season.

Sully Kaikai has been getting a look in too, but mainly as sub. He was on loan at Shrewsbury for a bit and did really well there. Scored some class goals albeit at a lower level. Dangerous player.

The only other one I can claim to know a bit about due to my obsession with Austrian football (family heritage) is Konstantin Kerschbaumer, a midfielder who did amazingly well in the Erste Liga in Austria for Sankt Polten (St Polten) over a number of seasons. He moved on to Wacker but surprised he ended up in the Championship as IMO he is nowhere near good enough. The Austrian first division is not of the highest standard.

I know nothing really about the rest of their squad although I am aware that Josh McEachran is a Chelsea youth product and had been held in high regard.

Dean Smith the manager for me was an interesting appointment. Nobody could argue what he did at Walsall, averting relegation,  constantly rebuilding a side and with the mindset of playing attractive football but that's pretty much his only job to date and so it's a gamble. He's adept at wheeler dealing on a budget and keeping results stable despite high turnover of players and maybe Brentford as a club with limited resources had this in mind when appointing him.

Anyway, the family shall be there tomorrow night and very much looking forward to it. I think it promises to be an entertaining game and I just hope we can get our noses in front early on and that could see us go on and win.

Can you shed a little light and how you expect them to set up against us? Are they still very much a 'footballing' side ?

10 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Can you shed a little light and how you expect them to set up against us? Are they still very much a 'footballing' side ?

Good question Brady and the truthful answer is I've no idea so apologies. I just think they are a solid side with a great work ethic / attitude and I feel it's more an application / organisation thing than raw ability although they do have some players who maybe go under the radar but who can and do produce.

I'm no expert whatsoever and just posted a bit of info about the limited things I know about them, as I like to do with every team we play.

I'm just waiting for a Brentford fan to come on and tell me i'm talking out of my backside.....:lol:

5 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Good question Brady and the truthful answer is I've no idea so apologies. I just think they are a solid side with a great work ethic / attitude and I feel it's more an application / organisation thing than raw ability although they do have some players who maybe go under the radar but who can and do produce.

I'm no expert whatsoever and just posted a bit of info about the limited things I know about them, as I like to do with every team we play.

I'm just waiting for a Brentford fan to come on and tell me i'm talking out of my backside.....:lol:

Ah ok no worries. Cheers for the answering as best you can :D.

1 minute ago, IlsonDerby said:

Is Lowe made of balsa wood? Feels like every time he plays he picks up a knock?? 

I know I have criticised this before but that's because I'm an old fart.

I think it's possibly a by-product of the (laudable) protection of  players in youth football where heavy tackles are frowned upon. This means a lot more players survive to senior football but perhaps also that they don't build a pain tolerance.

I also think young players do too much of their training in the gym. Muscles and ligaments are stretched to the max and one quick turn on  a football pitch and they snap.

I hope Max is fit soon because he's a great talent.

10 hours ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

I don't think we can take this game for granted as IMO Brentford are a vastly underrated side and if we lost this game I wouldn't at all be surprised. They are doing well in the league and will be tough opponents. Tougher than Leeds, Ipswich and Blackburn who we have faced at home recently. I think for once this season we need to score early, at least in the first half and then I reckon we could go on and win the game but I have a feeling they will score.

There are only a few players I know a bit about admittedly. Scott Hogan is on fire and I saw a bit of him playing for Rochdale. He appears to have made the step up and that seems to be a theme of Brentford in giving players from the lower reaches an opportunity. Same could be said for 'keeper Dan Bentley. Did excellently for Southend over a good few years and now plying his trade at a higher level and kept a good few clean sheets already this season.

Sully Kaikai has been getting a look in too, but mainly as sub. He was on loan at Shrewsbury for a bit and did really well there. Scored some class goals albeit at a lower level. Dangerous player.

The only other one I can claim to know a bit about due to my obsession with Austrian football (family heritage) is Konstantin Kerschbaumer, a midfielder who did amazingly well in the Erste Liga in Austria for Sankt Polten (St Polten) over a number of seasons. He moved on to Wacker but surprised he ended up in the Championship as IMO he is nowhere near good enough. The Austrian first division is not of the highest standard.

I know nothing really about the rest of their squad although I am aware that Josh McEachran is a Chelsea youth product and had been held in high regard.

Dean Smith the manager for me was an interesting appointment. Nobody could argue what he did at Walsall, averting relegation,  constantly rebuilding a side and with the mindset of playing attractive football but that's pretty much his only job to date and so it's a gamble. He's adept at wheeler dealing on a budget and keeping results stable despite high turnover of players and maybe Brentford as a club with limited resources had this in mind when appointing him.

Anyway, the family shall be there tomorrow night and very much looking forward to it. I think it promises to be an entertaining game and I just hope we can get our noses in front early on and that could see us go on and win.

I agree this a difficult game against a good team with some dangerous players, nobody seems to rate them but their play and record speaks for its self. They will think they can get a win tonight, i hope we can stop them, momentum at the moment is everything, we need to continue our mini run.

difficult to call this one, a lot comes down to confidence 

2 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

I know I have criticised this before but that's because I'm an old fart.

I think it's possibly a by-product of the (laudable) protection of  players in youth football where heavy tackles are frowned upon. This means a lot more players survive to senior football but perhaps also that they don't build a pain tolerance.

I also think young players do too much of their training in the gym. Muscles and ligaments are stretched to the max and one quick turn on  a football pitch and they snap.

I hope Max is fit soon because he's a great talent.

That's the theory behind some U23 side being in the check-a-trade trophy, it's good occasionally for some pampered U23 lads to get booted by some league 2 bruiser 

Back from work. An hour to get ducks in row, then quick pint, read of programme and a burger at the waterfall. 

Then off to the ground .. Soggy night perfect for beating some soft southerners. Might be first scarf and Woolley hat night of the season. 

Archived