Savage's column on McClaren appointment

Bris Vegas

Steve McClaren failed in each of his last three seasons as a manager. In my book, he is incredibly lucky to get his old job back at Derby.

He couldn't deliver promotion to the top flight against QPR’s 10 men at Wembley two years ago and then he missed the play-offs altogether the following year — after being top of the Championship with 13 games to go.

Last season, Newcastle were going down when he was sacked in March with 10 games to go.

When aspiring managers complain that they can’t get a job because clubs keep recycling the same old names, I guess they have appointments like this one in mind.

I love Derby County, will always cherish my time there as a player and want to see them do well.

But after the torrent of trolls and Twitter messages following my column last week about Ryan Giggs missing out on the Swansea job because they weren’t impressed with his interview, it makes you wonder.

Did McClaren get his job back at the iPro, just 17 months after he was sacked, because his interview technique impressed owner Mel Morris?

I know Derby played some excellent football under him first time around, but it didn’t get them anywhere.

He still has a lot to prove.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

McClaren failed at Derby and his football didn't get us anywhere...

I'd argue it got us quite far Robbie, as for a moment we forgot how utterly awfu you were as a Derby player and how your tenure as Derby captain was among the worst witnessed by Derby fans in the history of the club.

Just now, Bris Vegas said:

When aspiring managers complain that they can’t get a job because clubs keep recycling the same old names, I guess they have appointments like this one in mind.

I love Derby County, will always cherish my time there as a player and want to see them do well.

We gave an aspiring manager a go - PC!

I have always HATED Savage. I HATED every minute of his time here and I HATE that he continues to hang on to our coat tails like we ought to be grateful to him.

He can F U C K right off, he's a total scumbag, everything I dislike in modern footballers, he was the epitome of it. I'm glad Mac is back and he'll play the kind of football a non-footballer like Savage could only dream of.

#COYR

Let's face it in Robbie's eyes unless you are Nigel Clough, Mark Hughes, possibly Chris Coleman and now (the obvious unproven but surely going to be one of the great Managers) Ryan Giggs; then really you're lucky to get a job. :ermm:

Sometimes wonder if he's humming to Sinead O'Connor when he thinks of those guys in particular Clough and Hughes.

Just now, 61GT said:

Steve McLaren should take that article, enlarge it A3 size and pin it up on his office wall to serve as a timely reminder (whenever needed) to prove his doubters wrong!

He'd have to take down all those Real Madrid shirts though! Why bother Savage knows nowt about managing so it's not worth a second look.

I find it amazing that Savage keeps producing arrogant rants on behalf of other managers. Giggs has no right to walk into the Premier League Swansea job. An untested young manager has no right to walk into the Championship Derby job. Although incidentally we have given first team management experience to previously untested Clement and Wassall.

23 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Savage has no business talking about what gets teams anywhere. His shadow chasing and backpass tracking got us nowhere for 3 years!

Hs diving helped Leicester.

I enjoyed the football under Mac last time. I reckon we all know why it went sour. Do I think he's going to help us this time? No idea. I'm sceptical to be honest. But purely because Savage doesn't like him, I'm confident in Mac. Savage was a bang average footballer who got and still gets more attention than his talents ever warranted.

37 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

We gave an aspiring manager a go - PC!

I have always HATED Savage. I HATED every minute of his time here and I HATE that he continues to hang on to our coat tails like we ought to be grateful to him.

He can F U C K right off, he's a total scumbag, everything I dislike in modern footballers, he was the epitome of it. I'm glad Mac is back and he'll play the kind of football a non-footballer like Savage could only dream of.

#COYR

Well said that man.Slightly stronger than I would have worded it but your sentiments are spot on. How he (Savage) can judge anyone is beyond me. Has he forgotten that his inability made us the worst team in premier league history? U bell end Savage!!!

19 minutes ago, eddie said:

Hs diving helped Leicester.

But, but Eddie, he never dives, said so himself in 2001

I've never dived in my career. It was a penalty.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/leicester-city/3012915/Savage-cast-as-the-villain-again.html

Hang on, what's this in 2012

I over reacted. When I look back now I regret acting the way I did.

I dived and got him sent off.

But looking back now in hindsight, it was embarrassing 

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/robbie-savage-says-sorry-justin-2030304

Maybe in years to come, he'll apologise for some of the tripe he spouts, depending if the cap fits I expect.

Archived