Savage's column on McClaren appointment

Bris Vegas

14 minutes ago, Warren Hobhead said:

Savage was a bang average footballer who got and still gets more attention than his talents ever warranted.

At best. He's also a bang average pundit and a bang terrible sports writer. How he gets work I have no idea.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Steve How Hard!!! said:

Well said that man.Slightly stronger than I would have worded it but your sentiments are spot on. How he (Savage) can judge anyone is beyond me. Has he forgotten that his inability made us the worst team in premier league history? U bell end Savage!!!

It's Friday night and its possible I have imbibed slightly, so my words are quite strong I agree - but still not as strong as my hatred of Savage's time with us. I can ignore the nonsense he spouts on the media with ease, I just wish he'd leave us out of it. I'm sure he does it in a childish way to wind the Derby fans up, all he cares about is his own image!

3 minutes ago, RamuelLJackson said:

I've heard him off mic defend Derby the club, Derby the city and Derby's fans very vociferously against criticism from (amongst others) some Leicester fans. I have some time for the guy as a result.

Fans that know he's 'attaching' himself to our Club and so if they diss us they diss him. He's just putting himself first again.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

We gave an aspiring manager a go - PC!

I have always HATED Savage. I HATED every minute of his time here and I HATE that he continues to hang on to our coat tails like we ought to be grateful to him.

He can F U C K right off, he's a total scumbag, everything I dislike in modern footballers, he was the epitome of it. I'm glad Mac is back and he'll play the kind of football a non-footballer like Savage could only dream of.

#COYR

He wasn't a very good player and he is mirroring those limitations now as a pundit. I am just not interested in what he has to say.

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Fans that know he's 'attaching' himself to our Club and so if they diss us they diss him. He's just putting himself first again.

No, he was actually sounding like an informed fan. There's plenty to dislike about the guy historically but I get the definite impression his feelings for Derby are genuine. And bear in mind this was off mic, so it wasn't for show. I can't see a more convincing explanation for what he said than that he meant it.

3 minutes ago, RamuelLJackson said:

And bear in mind this was off mic, so it wasn't for show. I can't see a more convincing explanation for what he said than that he meant it.

Except as I said he was 'proving himself' to other fans. The mic might not have been on but they were interacting with him as a caller to his radio spot might.

Believe what you wish. I believe he's all about himself, he was a dreadful footballer and thought nothing of cheating to get his way. I think he'd say anything to anyone to get his point across and make himself look good.

4 minutes ago, RamuelLJackson said:

That wasn't how it seemed to me hearing it. I have never been a fan of his, so I wasn't disposed towards a positive interpretation of his words and actions, but I definitely find him more bearable after hearing him defend Derby than I did before.

Fine.

Good read, more insightful than our Robbie:

McClaren’s back in football – Here’s 5 reasons why this is a masterstroke, not a mockery.

On Wednesday 12th October 2016, it was announced Steve McClaren was back working in football, after being reappointed as Derby County manager. Moments later, both Derby and McClaren were being ridiculed on social media, and why not? McClaren, who had recently failed miserably at Newcastle, had been reemployed by the club who’d sacked him only 17 months ago. To the outside world, this was akin to a clown rejoining the circus, which Derby had seemingly become over the past two seasons. Many laughed, with the usual “Wally with a Brolly” jibes appearing on social media, as well as clips of “Schteeve’s” cringe worthy Dutch accent. It’s rather ironic that all anyone remembers about McClaren’s time in Holland is that interview, when in fact he guided FC Twente to their first league title in their history – but that is another story.

Even a fair portion of Derby fans were furious at the news; they were yet to forgive him for his apparently treachery, where he didn’t quash speculation linking him the Newcastle United job – He did commit to Derby eventually, but this was too little too late for some fans, including local chairman Mel Morris, who resultantly sacked McClaren. The majority of Derby fans, however, rejoiced at the news McClaren had returned. That’s because to many, McClaren was like the ex-partner you never quite get over; he’d given Derby fans the best football they’d seen in decades, and that’s why McClaren and Derby are a match made in heaven,  and here are the reasons why:

Attractive, Attacking Football

Deploying a Barcelona-esque 4-3-3 system, McClaren’s Derby side played some of the best football in the Championship over the course of two seasons. Derby fans have been starved of attacking football since his departure, only seeing patches of it under Clement and Wassall, and absolutely none under Pearson.

A reinstallation of “The Derby Way”

Chairman Mel Morris was mocked for coining the phrase “The Derby Way”, but there is some weight to it. Under McClaren, the club had a clear philosophy. It started in the first team, and seeped down through the academy. Similar models at Southampton had great success, and it is time Derby got back on track. Despite something of an overhaul of the squad, there are still potential stars appearing from the academy. Max Lowe and Max Elsnik, as well as others, will hope to follow shining example Will Hughes into the first team.

The stats don’t lie

This In his first tenure, McClaren managed a 55% win ratio and 71+ goal difference. Derby hit 5 goals in matches against Wolves, Fulham (twice), and bitter rivals Forest. Scoring 3 and 4 became quite regular, and although clean sheets were few and far between, the games were always entertaining. Really, these stats don’t need discussing further; they speak for themselves.

Of course it may all be different this time around…

But really, it couldn’t be much worse than under Pearson. The results were poor, but more depressing than that was the total loss of attractive, effective, attacking football. It isn’t faultless, but when it McClaren and Derby get it right; it really is a sight to behold. Hopefully both Derby County and Steve McClaren have learned from their mistakes, as only together can they restore their blemished reputations.

43 minutes ago, Clarity said:

although clean sheets were few and far between, the games were always entertaining.

One thing that annoys me is the misconception that we were leaky defensively in his last spell. We actually kept 34 clean sheets in 95 games under him, so in 36% of his games we kept a clean sheet.

Compare that to Aitor Karanka's Boro*, a team notorious for it's defensive capabilities, who have kept 63 clean sheets in 141 games under him. So that's 46% of his tenure in which they've kept a clean sheet.

We were an attacking team and they are a defensive team and yet there's only a 10% difference in how often each team kept a clean sheet.

*I even did him a kindness and removed Premier League games from that stat, they've only kept one this season.

54 minutes ago, cannable said:

One thing that annoys me is the misconception that we were leaky defensively in his last spell. We actually kept 34 clean sheets in 95 games under him, so in 36% of his games we kept a clean sheet.

Compare that to Aitor Karanka's Boro*, a team notorious for it's defensive capabilities, who have kept 63 clean sheets in 141 games under him. So that's 46% of his tenure in which they've kept a clean sheet.

We were an attacking team and they are a defensive team and yet there's only a 10% difference in how often each team kept a clean sheet.

*I even did him a kindness and removed Premier League games from that stat, they've only kept one this season.

Excellent point.

We only started to concede in Mac's second season when he tweaked the system (ironically to be more cautious) and then  the injuries hit to compound it.

Couldn't care less what Savage, Shearer have to say, savage can say McClaren couldn't get us up against a ten man QPR all he wants but if it wasn't for Stevie we wouldn't have got anywhere near that play off final. It may all go wrong but I really hope as a Derby fan and a person who believes that McClaren gets a lot more stick than he should (For a guy who has won the league cup with an unfancied team and won the dutch league with an unfancied team... and i guess got an unfancied Derby team to a play off final) we continually hear how useless he is. But he has achieved a lot more in the game than many English managers and coaches. Let's get behind us (using the spirt of b4) COME ON YOU RAMS (I'm also drunk) 

10 hours ago, Parsnip said:

At best. He's also a bang average pundit and a bang terrible sports writer. How he gets work I have no idea.

Robbie Savege failed in each of his roles in football. In my book, he is incredibly lucky to get payed writing ********.

He couldn't deliver as a footballer and even now, as a pundit he manages to frustrate Derby fans.

When aspiring pundits complain that they can’t get a job because papers keep recycling the same old names, I guess they have appointments like this one in mind.

Savage love Nigel, who got him back from League One, where he was shipped and belonged.

Did Savage get his job, because his interview technique impressed owners?

I know he can dance little bit, but it didn’t get them anywhere.

He still has a lot to prove.

Archived