McClaren's First Interview

Nuwtfly

8 hours ago, Muskination said:

You're having a laugh. You have absolutely next to no idea of the reasoning behind the managerial appointments or sackings, nor any grasp of management speak if you take verbatim what MM or any other senior party espouses on air. You have no idea of the culture he espouses either unless you can reveal you are a member of the Board, trusted staff, or higher.

At least tell me that you have formed your opinions from other sources other than this very small message board and your mates down the pub.

We have had three managers and two stand in managers for the pedantic or four in a year, whichever pleases you the most. And just for the record, which sponsor did Just Eat beat out to gain shirt sponsorship? Feel free to google away. It may not be there.

You don't need to know the reasons behind sackings in order to check if the parallel with Cellino stands up. Cellino sacked 6 (non interim) managers in 25 months as chairman of Leeds. Morris sacked a maximum of 2 in 17 months as chairman of Derby County.

25/6 is 4.1666. 17/2 is 8.5.

Therefore Cellino is more than twice as sack-happy as Morris.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, TopRam said:

A lot of media and people outside of Derby giving us plenty of stick for getting back Macca but they didn't see how good we played when we had him and how poor we've been since he got sacked, he's learnt from his mistake and surely he will not do that again so even better! I feel confident and I really hope we push on! 

P.s I wouldn't be surprised if they players didn't ask to have Macca back 

'apparently" Mac lost the dressing room before but call me naive for believing it, but so far Bent and Keogh have come out and said they are excited to be working under him again, are they toeing the line? Or maybe they actually did want him back. I for one believe they are being honest and injuries was the main reason down to our collapse two years ago. Most of the hysteria was created by fans, Mac didn't help but (not to go to his head) I've always agreed with Mostyn in regards to the fans creating a self fulfilling prophecy. Let's just all get behind him and the club now, we have a great squad, it's time to show it. (And by behind him I mean Mac not mostyn :ph34r:)

3 hours ago, Ramos said:

'apparently" Mac lost the dressing room before but call me naive for believing it, but so far Bent and Keogh have come out and said they are excited to be working under him again, are they toeing the line? Or maybe they actually did want him back. I for one believe they are being honest and injuries was the main reason down to our collapse two years ago. Most of the hysteria was created by fans, Mac didn't help but (not to go to his head) I've always agreed with Mostyn in regards to the fans creating a self fulfilling prophecy. Let's just all get behind him and the club now, we have a great squad, it's time to show it. (And by behind him I mean Mac not mostyn :ph34r:)

Toeing. If you're a player wanting to find favour with the new manager what would you say? "Disappointed that we chose a recently failed premier league manager, doubt we will learn much from the dude" ? or "I'm excited about him, pick me pick me as striker, or in keoghs situation, I love you so much brolly man now keep me as skipper".

self interest guides 

and for some like Bryson and Hughes must be a good thing so they can express themselves - but they prob won't learn or develop from him just showcase their talent. Which is what we want right now, right?

16 hours ago, jagerbob said:

Reading between the lines on the Facebook live press conference.

Sam was there with Steve and there was no Mel.

Sam and Steve had a good working relationship before.

When Steve was fired, Mel was on the scene, but not officially owner yet.

It was quoted by Sam at the time that it was very much a joint/board decision to get rid of Steve for not being fully comitted. I read that at the time, (and especially shortly after when Mel did gain full control of the club) that it was Mel who wanted someone more committed.

In addition to this, talk in the interview about Steve and Sam being in regular phone contact in the last 18 months or so.

Therefore does anyone else think that it appears Sam wanted Steve back, and would have persuaded Mel to allow the club to go down that avenue?

Its certainly how it looks to me.

I will also be very interested if we see more of Sam now in terms of interviews and the public eye from now on, like the old days when things were rosy at the club. Mel being the megalomaniac that he is,became noticably the new CE face of Derby after he took ownership at the club and Sam seemed to dissappear into the background.

Steve was always Sams man right from the time Sam lined him up to replace Nigel Clough? 

A bit of Sam rush unfinished business? 

16 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Steve was always Sams man right from the time Sam lined him up to replace Nigel Clough? 

A bit of Sam rush unfinished business? 

There's no nostalgia here except that he plays entertaining football. Even Newcastle last season were entertaining : they just found a way to lose a lot. The short contract says the most about intent: we like you short term but we don't feel that confident in you yet.  Prove it.

If we truly believed in him it would be 3 years. 1 1/2 was prob a compromise - I'd imagine he wanted more and we wanted him until the summer where we would assess given the rocky past. 

16 hours ago, jagerbob said:

Reading between the lines on the Facebook live press conference.

Sam was there with Steve and there was no Mel.

Sam and Steve had a good working relationship before.

When Steve was fired, Mel was on the scene, but not officially owner yet.

It was quoted by Sam at the time that it was very much a joint/board decision to get rid of Steve for not being fully comitted. I read that at the time, (and especially shortly after when Mel did gain full control of the club) that it was Mel who wanted someone more committed.

In addition to this, talk in the interview about Steve and Sam being in regular phone contact in the last 18 months or so.

Therefore does anyone else think that it appears Sam wanted Steve back, and would have persuaded Mel to allow the club to go down that avenue?

Its certainly how it looks to me.

I will also be very interested if we see more of Sam now in terms of interviews and the public eye from now on, like the old days when things were rosy at the club. Mel being the megalomaniac that he is,became noticably the new CE face of Derby after he took ownership at the club and Sam seemed to dissappear into the background.

You could be right with those assumptions. I'm personally only really interested mostly by what happens on the pitch and therefore hope both Mel and Sam to a lesser extent, largely disappear into the background.

Mac's interview hinted at a good working relationship and to be honest I'm more interested in hearing his thoughts on games winning or losing, than Mels vision; talk is cheap, it's on the pitch that matters but I don't mind Mel getting credit if we are successful. 

Otherwise the only time I really need to hear Sam/Mel is season ticket prices, a few program notes and possibly player arrivals but again the Manager should be the one explaining those reasons.

I'm warming to his interview and find myself quite excited matchday, it's almost like the season has started again, albeit with a 10 point handicap. Like most I'll support whoever is Manager and want them to do well, but the thought of getting back to some of the football under Maclaren, win or lose is exciting.

1 hour ago, Ninos said:

Toeing. If you're a player wanting to find favour with the new manager what would you say? "Disappointed that we chose a recently failed premier league manager, doubt we will learn much from the dude" ? or "I'm excited about him, pick me pick me as striker, or in keoghs situation, I love you so much brolly man now keep me as skipper".

self interest guides 

and for some like Bryson and Hughes must be a good thing so they can express themselves - but they prob won't learn or develop from him just showcase their talent. Which is what we want right now, right?

I think they will develop mate, I think it's fair to say he brought the best out of a fair few players and brought some on leaps and bounds. Since then we have seen many players including Bryson stumble and struggle to really find form down to not being utilised properly, let's hope Mac can get the best out of these players again. Like he says, it's going to be a longer task this time because "there are some problems". 

Christ, managed to get to the end of the bickering finally!! Glad there's a game today!! I live outside of Derby now, and I can tell you the wider football fan is vaguely interested and a bit 'WTF' about the managerial situation. Mel is seen as sticking his oar in,  but not at Leed's level yet. A few wins and it'll disappear...if Steve struggles then it will be interesting how long he gets. Personally I'm REALLY fascinated about what his first 11 will be and what system he uses!! Be glad to get back to that analysis!

22 hours ago, Muskination said:

Nope, no problem that we make Massimo Cellino look like an amateur.

I know this is going to come across as "Pretends to be #ITK but won't reveal what" but I'll say it anyway. A very good friend of mine is close to Mel Morris's extended family. According to that person, there were very good reasons for PC departure, and the "Not following instructions" was just a convenient face saving reason for all parties. They didn't say what, and I didn't ask why - I didn't feel it right to ask him to breach the confidence.

The simple truth is that while we might want to be told everything that's going on, sometimes it simply isn't possible to do so in a way that protects all affected  parties.

So that really just leaves the original sacking of McClaren and the sacking of Pearson. I didn't agree with the first, but could understand it. I have no opinion on the second because it's perfectly feasible that there are circumstances which compelled it yet which cannot reasonably be disclosed without lengthy legal discourse.

In short, sometimes you have to put your trust in the people who are ultimately in control and try to believe that they are trying to do the right thing, in a difficult situation.

4 minutes ago, ck- said:

I know this is going to come across as "Pretends to be #ITK but won't reveal what" but I'll say it anyway. A very good friend of mine is close to Mel Morris's extended family. According to that person, there were very good reasons for PC departure, and the "Not following instructions" was just a convenient face saving reason for all parties. They didn't say what, and I didn't ask why - I didn't feel it right to ask him to breach the confidence.

The simple truth is that while we might want to be told everything that's going on, sometimes it simply isn't possible to do so in a way that protects all affected  parties.

So that really just leaves the original sacking of McClaren and the sacking of Pearson. I didn't agree with the first, but could understand it. I have no opinion on the second because it's perfectly feasible that there are circumstances which compelled it yet which cannot reasonably be disclosed without lengthy legal discourse.

In short, sometimes you have to put your trust in the people who are ultimately in control and try to believe that they are trying to do the right thing, in a difficult situation.

Why bother to post if you're not going to post anything interesting. Your point : You're in the know but they didn't tell you what it was and you didn't want to know what it was ... so how are you in the know? 

10 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Why bother to post if you're not going to post anything interesting. Your point : You're in the know but they didn't tell you what it was and you didn't want to know what it was ... so how are you in the know? 

Well the point I was trying to make was that someone in the know said there was a good reason. That was good enough for me. My real point was that it's not always possible for these things to be made public.

23 minutes ago, Ninos said:

This coming from a person who has posted 872 times and said nothing in any of them

:ph34r:

26 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Oh and ... 22 thousand posts buddy and  all you've said are the fans are pathetic over and over and over,  shackell is a naughty unforgiveble boy, and Martin dives a lot. 20,000 + for those pearls.:ph34r:

Rubbish.

I never mentioned Martin and his unfortunate gravitational issues.

8 hours ago, Ramos said:

I have said before that I "chat" occasionally with Raul Albentosa. Although he has never gone into detail over what really happened he was adamant that Mac NEVER lost the dressing room. (Yes I know that his English was limited but with the help of the other Spanish players there at the time, and his own eyes, he was in a much better position than us fans to know)

3 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Would those be the 'he keeps falling over' gravitational issues or 'he's so massive that objects are in orbit around him' gravitational issues?

The latter would certainly explain how the ball used to 'stick to him'.

Archived