McClaren's First Interview

Nuwtfly

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Muskination said:

I, of course, hope he does well and there's a good chance that he may. However, to think that those around us are nervous is delusional. Alan Shearer, Robbie Savage, and Stan Collymore have all been twitter quoted due to their disbelief.

Of course we're being laughed at, and I sincerely do hope we do very well because if we don't, we will be an even bigger laughing stock than we are already. If that's possible.

Yes it's a strange situation to have him come back, and people are right to raise their eyebrows at that, but who is laughing at us?

I don't see how we're a laughing stock anymore than Man U who have banned a guy from away games for 12 months, Coventry who are having issues with their stadium/owners (I'm not sure what exactly), Aston Villa for that Virgin Trains tweet, Forest for selling Burke, etc etc. 

Like I said before, give it a bit and a new stick will be found to beat us with, be it the Derby Way rearing it's head, or the 11 point season. I'm pretty sure some of our own were branding us a laughing stock when Pride Park got re-branded. 

"Where as before it was a footballing team, I think we've just gotten away from that a little bit and we need to get back to that." 

9 minutes ago, mrdave85 said:

Yes it's a strange situation to have him come back, and people are right to raise their eyebrows at that, but who is laughing at us?

I don't see how we're a laughing stock anymore than Man U who have banned a guy from away games for 12 months, Coventry who are having issues with their stadium/owners (I'm not sure what exactly), Aston Villa for that Virgin Trains tweet, Forest for selling Burke, etc etc. 

Like I said before, give it a bit and a new stick will be found to beat us with, be it the Derby Way rearing it's head, or the 11 point season. I'm pretty sure some of our own were branding us a laughing stock when Pride Park got re-branded. 

This isn't a tweet or a banned fan, and most clubs rebrand stadiums for the sponsorship.

We've had five managers in eight months. That might be another embarrassing 11 point first come to think of it.

Have you been living on an island with no electricity?

1 hour ago, eddie said:

I would say that Pearson was not a good fit.

We've done this jigsaw before, and we know that McClaren is a good fit. Hopefully we can find the final piece next time - have you looked behind the fridge?

It's a good point though, certain managers do suit certain clubs and I think McClaren does suit Derby for whatever reason. 

I think with Pearson, most of us would say that we wanted something 'against the mould', but maybe it doesn't work that well? Although I think we did the worse of Pearson, rather anything we wanted to see when he came in. I also noted the comparison of interviews between McClaren and Pearson of when they first came in

Pearson: I need to asses the players = I don't trust them = no unity

McClaren: I'm very lucky to working with a great set of players which I'm happy with = I trust them to play for me = unity

But that's just an observation 

4 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

It's a good point though, certain managers do suit certain clubs and I think McClaren does suit Derby for whatever reason. 

I think with Pearson, most of us would say that we wanted something 'against the mould', but maybe it doesn't work that well? Although I think we did the worse of Pearson, rather anything we wanted to see when he came in. I also noted the comparison of interviews between McClaren and Pearson of when they first came in

Pearson: I need to asses the players = I don't trust them = no unity

McClaren: I'm very lucky to working with a great set of players which I'm happy with = I trust them to play for me = unity

But that's just an observation 

Speaking of moulds....

When they made me, they broke the mould.

Some of it grew back.

8 minutes ago, Muskination said:

This isn't a tweet or a banned fan, and most clubs rebrand stadiums for the sponsorship.

We've had five managers in eight months. That might be another embarrassing 11 point first come to think of it.

Nope I've been well aware of what's happened with us.

I just don't believe "everyone is laughing at us". I believe everyone cares more about their own club to spend the time laughing at us. 

24 minutes ago, Muskination said:

You know what, if they care that much to take the p i ss there's a reason for that - we're worth laughing at! Schteve is a big name even if he's fallen some, we're nearly still a biggish name too! That's why they laugh, but we''l see who gets the last laugh won't we! #COYR

One thing that you notice about McClaren is that he performs best when he starts from a low point, when he has a point to prove, when his belly is full of humble pie

Success at Middlesborough
Took a step up to the England job and made a mess of it
Then went to Twente and was a success
Then failed at Wolfsburg, Forest and Twente again
Then came here and it was all going great until the Newcastle thing
Embarassed himself at Newcastle
Now back here and it feels like we've got him at the right time again

1 minute ago, Muskination said:

They don't?

no, neither was interviewed and appointed as permanent manager. Both were holding the fort. Wassall held the fort whilst Pearson collected his bonuses for winning the league at Leicester, and Powell held the fort whilst Mel swallowed his pride.

So, no they don't count.

1 minute ago, Muskination said:

They don't?

No because they were caretaker managers, you're implying that MM has appointed 5 managers on permanent contracts and then quickly fired them.

We have had a poor period of stability but AGAIN I will stick up for Mel by mentioning that 'outside activities' have contributed to this.

Just now, Mostyn6 said:

no, neither was interviewed and appointed as permanent manager. Both were holding the fort. Wassall held the fort whilst Pearson collected his bonuses for winning the league at Leicester, and Powell held the fort whilst Mel swallowed his pride.

So, no they don't count.

Ok, four appointed and permanent Managers in a year. That's better? and that's aside from the two stand in Managers.

4 minutes ago, Muskination said:

Ok, four appointed and permanent Managers in a year. That's better? and that's aside from the two stand in Managers.

Wrong.

Clement

Pearson

MCclaren 

only 3 Permanents in the last 12 months. and only clement was sacked for footballing reason. 

4 minutes ago, Seth's left foot said:

No because they were caretaker managers, you're implying that MM has appointed 5 managers on permanent contracts and then quickly fired them.

We have had a poor period of stability but AGAIN I will stick up for Mel by mentioning that 'outside activities' have contributed to this.

Not knocking Mel in the slightest but now you mention it, what "outside influences" can an effective owner be affected by to see him appoint three managers and two stand in managers in just over a year of ownership. 

Archived