POLL: Should McClaren apologise to Derby fans?

Mostyn6

Steve McClaren - should he say "Sorry"?  

246 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If its and apology why not include talking about money...I mean to say wouldn't he have already been paid a good portion of his contract...can't remember the length..whn he left for NUFC
Now if he does come back would that mean we end up paying him twice for a part of the new/same period...now if he came back for free for a season or so......good will and all that

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some football people fit with some football clubs and McClaren at Derby has always been a great fit in the past. We gave him his big break in coaching with the move from Oxford to be Jim Smith's assistant. We didn't stand in his way when Fergie came calling and took him to Man U, much to the detriment of our club. When his reputation was at a low ebb we welcomed him back and helped him restore it.

What frustrates me about McClaren is he never seemed to realize what he owed to Derby. Whenever a move to Newcastle was touted while he was with us, he should have known that it would have been madness to go because the role for Mike Ashley was always a poisoned chalice. He just didn't seem to see it. Things fell apart. While we sacked him, my impression was that it was because he was going there regardless and left us no choice.

I am impressed with Mel to bury the hachet on this and have him back. I want Steve to come out and thank Derby for this new opportunity and the previous ones and apologize for how things soured and he left last time. And to say that he recognizes Derby is where he belongs, that it is his ambition to build a Premier League dynasty with our club and he will never again use us as a stepping stone to move elsewhere. That he now knows for certain the grass isn't always greener.

Then we can all move on with getting promotion.

I think he should, the way he handled the speculation around Newcastle was disrespectful to the club and the supporters together imo- who had put so much trust and faith in the man. Regardless of whether he was considering going to Newcastle or not, he still should have stated in the media a clear statement one way or the other- then at least we all knew where we stood. 

Everyone is capable of having their head turned and think the grass is greener.  I expect everyone one here has been either taken the posion chalive, thinking it is the best thing, or have sailed very close.  It is human nature, the lure of something special.  SM never really hid the fact that he would love to manage Newcastle, it was his dream, and it was shattered.

I think we will get a better SM, as he always seems to learn to do things better when things don't go to plan.

45 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I think he should, the way he handled the speculation around Newcastle was disrespectful to the club and the supporters together imo- who had put so much trust and faith in the man. Regardless of whether he was considering going to Newcastle or not, he still should have stated in the media a clear statement one way or the other- then at least we all knew where we stood. 

Er he did...about 3 times. What do you want, it written in blood???

At the time he was sacked I couldn't blame Mel for sacking McClaren as I felt if he his heart was with Newcastle and not Derby then why should we stick with him? That said I was always reluctant to bad mouth McClaren as I always appreciated the good job he'd done for Derby.

In hindsight, did McClaren really do that much wrong? I do think if performances on the pitch had stayed good then the media wouldn't have pushed the Newcastle speculation as much as they did. Also, he always maintained that he was under contract at Derby etc... so it wasn't like he was saying "not sure I'll be here next year or not."

Don't see why he should apologise to be honest, perhaps an apology would suggest he was always interested in Newcastle and was in the wrong all along. I think that McClaren saying he "regrets" how things ended last time at Derby is enough and can be interpreted as an apology for those who feel they need one.

Just now, Jimbo Ram said:

Er he did...about 3 times. What do you want, it written in blood???

He didn't in the initial stages, he was far too blasé for me about the whole situation, didn't make anything clear until later on when the damage was already done. Hopefully he's learned from his mistakes and he's got my full backing for now

Definitely. Easiest apology ever. Nothing special - just acknowledge that he had his head turned by that geordie tart and tell us how glad he is to be back. He'll be instantly forgiven by most derby fans, including me - and the rest will come around as we start approaching the top 6.

1 minute ago, Parsnip said:

Definitely. Easiest apology ever. Nothing special - just acknowledge that he had his head turned by that geordie tart and tell us how glad he is to be back. He'll be instantly forgiven my most derby fans including me - and the rest will come around as we start approaching the top 6.

It's just the nature of football though Parsnip.

We don't apologise to the Phil Browns and Paul Jewells that we sack or the Sammons and the Leacocks that we sell. 

If you're crap then get lost and if you're good then you should never ever leave.

Managers and players are very aware of how quick you can rise and fall. 

Archived