Reading FC v Derby County

Bwash_Ram

7 minutes ago, archied said:

Your quite right to pull me as i don't have full information and am posting my reading of the situation / events ,, if I turn out to be wrong then I will eat humble pie but from what I can gather from picking through the scraps of info coming out is that idiakez has /is shown a level of genuine loyalty to Pearson that Powell isn't ,,, listen to the interview today and it's very clear a bit untastefully for my liking that Powell comes across as desperately wanting  pearsons job and not a little bit sounding like he feels he's got it ,,, call me old fashioned but I'm never overly impressed when assistant managers take over the managers job in sacking situations ( suspended stage at the mo)  just my gut feeling and anybody else that sees it differently is fully intitled to that view 

Fair enough I suppose. We are all entitled to our opinion, but in the interview thread another rumour says that apparently Idiakez wasn't in the meeting and doesn't know why he is no longer at the club club. Doesn't rule out your comments above of course, but there are so many rumours and info flying about at the moment it is hard to know what has actually happened. Hopefully the club will clarify, but I don't think that they will and will just leave us in the dark again.

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Just seen the highlights. Why isn't anyone on the back stick?

I did mentioned that we need someone there and if Hughesy stayed on the pitch he'd cleared off the line... 

4 hours ago, McLovin said:

Well Baird has achieved more than Martin has ever in his career tbf

And Martin has achieved more than most Derby strikers in the last... I dunno, ages! 

You seem to care a lot about what Leicester fans think about this, what Fulham fans think about that... who gives a ***** what other fans think of players and managers we can see for ourselves every week!?

What do Leeds think of Seth Johnson. Was Seth finished when he was at Leeds or did he come back and do well for us again? 

Just now, Alpha said:

And Martin has achieved more than most Derby strikers in the last... I dunno, ages! 

You seem to care a lot about what Leicester fans think about this, what Fulham fans think about that... who gives a ***** what other fans think of players and managers we can see for ourselves every week!?

What do Leeds think of Seth Johnson. Was Seth finished when he was at Leeds or did he come back and do well for us again? 

I'm using the Fulham fans as examples because people used the arguments that Martin had not been playing well because the team wasn't built around him. The team is built for him at Fulham and he still isn't performing. The argument that he has been successful in the past for us is not valid, Rooney is close to being Man Utd's all time leading scorer but over 90% of Man Utd fans want him dropped or sold because he hasn't performed well for ages, they couldn't care less what he has done in the past, what matters is the here and now. We should be the same, if we rewarded past success Jim smith would still be a our manager. The modern game is ruthless, if you aren't performing, you shouldn't play

Also other fans tend to say it how it is and aren't looking it from our tinted glasses. If Martin was as good as some think he is, he would surely stand out for a poor Fulham side but it's the opposite, Fulham fans want him dropped to the u16s which says it all. If he isn't good enough for Fulham, why would he be good enough for us at this moment of time. I don't care about past successes. 

3 hours ago, Ram79 said:

The problem is we are not scoring enough and killing teams off had we scored two today then wouldn't have mattered if they get a late one. Our whole team needs to contribute more goals and be more effective with set pieces .

Yep Vydra who I like, had a good chance to make it 2-0 I.m.o but he's not the only one who needs shooting practice.

After listening to the radio commentary on the Cardiff match (my first miss this season) I travelled to Reading with renewed optimism. 

Reading, unbeaten at home, weathered our early push - briefly camped in their half, not much to show for it - and gained control. Both our flanks looked vulnerable but we defended the crosses well and apart from one free header did not look in too much trouble. 0 - 0 at half time and I would have taken the draw then.

However second half we were much more creative. Attacking the away fans' end the Rams gained the upper hand and the Reading defence were struggling to get the ball out to their own players. Vydra's goal was just reward (has Christie ever taken a free kick on the left before?)

We were unlucky not to get a second when Al Habsi made a great save from Vydra. If that had gone in, game over.

Unfortunately, a combination of injuries forced substitutions on us that disrupted the rythym and allowed Reading to push on for their equaliser at the end of the game. In hindsight we would have been better-served with Elsnik to replace Hughes than Russell. I presume Bryson was still not fit? 

With three left backs injured I feel that Baird was the only option for Olsson - he didn’t really look fit all game. Haven't seen their goal again yet but it looked like slack defending from the other end of the pitch. However, we invited the pressure that gave the corner away in the first place. 

A draw felt like a loss again because of the timing but I thought the performance was bright and a good point against a side who haven't lost at home this season.

BBC Berkshire radio were quite complementary about us and grateful of their point - they had a similar number of stupid callers as Radio Derby! 

Players - for me I thought Butterfield and Johnson were the pick; Vydra worked hard but didn’t get the service (at least in the first half). Hughes looked jaded first half but much better second, Ince too.

We will play worse than today and win. Encouraging signs for after the international break.

I know we're all having a bit of a moan at the minute, and rightly so, but can we take a second to talk about how good Vydra looks? Can't remember the last time we had such a lively striker. If we can get this team going he could score A LOT of goals here. 

5 minutes ago, angieram said:

After listening to the radio commentary on the Cardiff match (my first miss this season) I travelled to Reading with renewed optimism. 

Reading, unbeaten at home, weathered our early push - briefly camped in their half, not much to show for it - and gained control. Both our flanks looked vulnerable but we defended the crosses well and apart from one free header did not look in too much trouble. 0 - 0 at half time and I would have taken the draw then.

However second half we were much more creative. Attacking the away fans' end the Rams gained the upper hand and the Reading defence were struggling to get the ball out to their own players. Vydra's goal was just reward (has Christie ever taken a free kick on the left before?)

We were unlucky not to get a second when Al Habsi made a great save from Vydra. If that had gone in, game over.

Unfortunately, a combination of injuries forced substitutions on us that disrupted the rythym and allowed Reading to push on for their equaliser at the end of the game. In hindsight we would have been better-served with Elsnik to replace Hughes than Russell. I presume Bryson was still not fit? 

With three left backs injured I feel that Baird was the only option for Olsson - he didn’t really look fit all game. Haven't seen their goal again yet but it looked like slack defending from the other end of the pitch. However, we invited the pressure that gave the corner away in the first place. 

A draw felt like a loss again because of the timing but I thought the performance was bright and a good point against a side who haven't lost at home this season.

BBC Berkshire radio were quite complementary about us and grateful of their point - they had a similar number of stupid callers as Radio Derby! 

Players - for me I thought Butterfield and Johnson were the pick; Vydra worked hard but didn’t get the service (at least in the first half). Hughes looked jaded first half but much better second, Ince too.

We will play worse than today and win. Encouraging signs for after the international break.

I was there today  , very accurate summary angieram , the save from Vydra and Hughesys injury were the turning points , signs of recovery from the lads among all this negativity and rumours . Well done boys , now on to Leeds and lets put our home form right , cant think of better opposition to start putting our chances away against , COYR

15 minutes ago, angieram said:

Thanks Angie .. Your reports are better than any newspaper. Top drawer, succinct and descriptive. Are you a journalist ? 

Of course I wanted 3 points and boy we nearly had them, but 4 points from 6 after a dire start to the season, Vydra scoring again and slowly, very slowly we are climbing out of that hole. The sides are slippery and covered in mud but tooth and claw the Rams are fighting back. 

I am thinking that the international break should give time for investigations and lawyers to do their stuff and we can start a new chapter on the front foot against ... Woooah what a choice dirty Leeds .. Looking forward to it now rather than clutching at straws.

In the circumstances, it is two points dropped. I think we are going to suffer a few more of these hard knocks until all of the off-field drama and uncertainty surrounding the club dissipates and we can just focus on football.

Considering last Saturday's result, it seemed like things would only lurch from bad to worse. So 4 points from a possible 6 is an excellent return given everything going on at the club at the moment. There are signs that the recovery is underway.

I think that Powell will remain in charge for the next four games to buy the club some time to restore order and possibly repair its image because from the outside looking in, it does look like a circus and a shoddily-run one at that. It will take more than one international break to change that perception.

Do I think Powell is the right man for the job in the long term? No, but he could prove himself to be. Do I think he could settle us down in the short term? Yes, but if we see an upturn in results and performances and a radical shift in structure and style, it would make me wonder why Powell hadn't exerted his influence much sooner. As assistant manager and Pearson's greatest ally in the dressing room and on the training ground, it was Powell's job to intervene and be a voice of reason if he felt Pearson was making the wrong decisions. Did it really take 5 defeats in 9 games for someone to pipe up and suggest something wasn't working?

Do I find it disloyal that Powell is angling for the job from his position as caretaker manager? No, not at all. Both Pearson and Powell are experienced football men and they understand the volatile nature of football management. One week, you can be hot property and the next, you can be on the scrapheap. Powell is simply doing the job that is being asked of him. If he does it well and gets it permanently, it is to his credit.

Seeing how close a working relationship they have, I doubt Pearson would begrudge Powell the opportunity to remain employed and potentially resurrect his managerial career, knowing how difficult it can be to get an opportunity in the first place. Powell has an opportunity now and he simply has to seize it.

From the past two games, it sounds like there are signs of encouragement on the pitch, at least. I look to Leeds at home with interest...

Archived