Lack of Motivation

Raminphilippines

5 minutes ago, Raminphilippines said:

Average results that got us to the play offs. 

It is not an obsession it is just opening your eyes and realising he was inexperienced yet still did a good job and he had a passion for the job and the club. Yes he made mistakes but he had an ability to turn it round in the next game. 

If only we had a manager now that could do that, we would not be near the bottom. 

I doubt many of us know how much getting into the play offs was down to Harry Redknapp. Mel knows of course...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There seems a whole lack of focus all round. Pre match warm up, half time, all looks a little amateur if I'm honest. Players seem way too comfortable, mucking around, no real effort. 

It was interesting last season to see the focus when we played Karanka's Boro. Both from the same background and very similar methods. Clement had everything nailed down as did Karanka, proper drills, much more professional.

I have a feeling we made a big mistake letting Clement go.. If anyone needed time it was him.

Good one Mel.

2 hours ago, Raminphilippines said:

It is not so much what he said as his tune of voice and the way he comes across. I have not seen one interview with pearson where he comes across as a person that can motivate. 

Not disagreeing, but your post reminded me of something. I was talking to a former politcal journo the other week and they were asked who the most impressive person they've ever interviewed was. Interestingly they said it was John Major a man everyone knows as being a distinctly unimpressive man. So, don't always judge based on what is said in front of the cameras.

Agree with you in this case though.

1 hour ago, Angry Ram said:

There seems a whole lack of focus all round. Pre match warm up, half time, all looks a little amateur if I'm honest. Players seem way too comfortable, mucking around, no real effort. 

It was interesting last season to see the focus when we played Karanka's Boro. Both from the same background and very similar methods. Clement had everything nailed down as did Karanka, proper drills, much more professional.

I have a feeling we made a big mistake letting Clement go.. If anyone needed time it was him.

Good one Mel.

This might be hitting the biggest nail on the head Angry Ram! Let me explain why.

For all his failings, Schteve was a great coach. So we can assume training was enjoyable, and the players could see its relevance.

Clement was a different sort of coach, but we can assume his methods were state of the art, meticulous and respected by the players.

Then came Wassall. I doubt that the players compared his methods to those of his two predecessors because of the nature of his appointment and the circumstances in which it was made.

But when Pearson arrives, most of the squad had experienced Schteve and Clement so would be making comparisons with them about Pearson's methods. And as they knew he had been brought in with high expectations to sort them out and achieve promotion which his excellent predecessors had failed to achieve, they were bound to assess his methods and man-management style with, let's say, constructively critical high standards.

So if they now deem his approach in its totality to be inferior to Schteve's and Clement's, they will not respond as we all expect and require them to. Not ever.

In which case, Pearson is correct that the formation matters little - except that the players' feeling that 4 4 2 does not bring out the best in them, only adds to any lack of respect they might have for him.

I hope I'm wrong, but it seems to be the best explanation for a dreadful 9 games.

Any successful leader needs the respect of his followers - and fans who are calling for Pearson to be sacked are only reinforcing any adverse opinion the players have of Pearson.

It is sadly 'a perfect storm'.

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I understood that respect was earned?

Wasn't that my point? I was explaining why the respect might be lacking.

I was trying to guess (as we are all in the dark and therefore guessing) why the players are not playing  - and lack of respect compared with what they were expecting, could be the reason.

1 minute ago, Half fan said:

Wasn't that my point? I was explaining why the respect might be lacking.

I was trying to guess (as we are all in the dark and therefore guessing) why the players are not playing  - and lack of respect compared with what they were expecting, could be the reason.

Yes, errr and I was pointing out that perhaps Pearson had done *nothing* to earn their repect.

Who exactly isn't working hard enough?

Most look to devoid of confidence and that is down to the management imo.

Couple that with a rather crude tactical approach makes us look really poor.

The players look like they really don't buy into what NP is trying to do.

1 hour ago, Half fan said:

This might be hitting the biggest nail on the head Angry Ram! Let me explain why.

For all his failings, Schteve was a great coach. So we can assume training was enjoyable, and the players could see its relevance.

Clement was a different sort of coach, but we can assume his methods were state of the art, meticulous and respected by the players.

Then came Wassall. I doubt that the players compared his methods to those of his two predecessors because of the nature of his appointment and the circumstances in which it was made.

But when Pearson arrives, most of the squad had experienced Schteve and Clement so would be making comparisons with them about Pearson's methods. And as they knew he had been brought in with high expectations to sort them out and achieve promotion which his excellent predecessors had failed to achieve, they were bound to assess his methods and man-management style with, let's say, constructively critical high standards.

So if they now deem his approach in its totality to be inferior to Schteve's and Clement's, they will not respond as we all expect and require them to. Not ever.

In which case, Pearson is correct that the formation matters little - except that the players' feeling that 4 4 2 does not bring out the best in them, only adds to any lack of respect they might have for him.

I hope I'm wrong, but it seems to be the best explanation for a dreadful 9 games.

Any successful leader needs the respect of his followers - and fans who are calling for Pearson to be sacked are only reinforcing any adverse opinion the players have of Pearson.

It is sadly 'a perfect storm'.

Great post... Full fan now.. Upgrade.

1 hour ago, RIMBAUD said:

Who exactly isn't working hard enough?

Most look to devoid of confidence and that is down to the management imo.

Couple that with a rather crude tactical approach makes us look really poor.

The players look like they really don't buy into what NP is trying to do.

Crude is an understatement. Clement Wassall and Pearson were and are all tactically crude. In contrast, youve got the tactics of Ranieri and guardiola, and Klopp among others implementing a counter press and keeper sweeper (saw it in person at the ipro) and we are stuck with the naive coaches who are the victims of smart, modern footballing tactics. How many times did mcclaren and Clement get picked apart tactically by a coach who set up with a plan. They would even gloat about it after the game. It's depressing that we don't play intelligently and now Pearson (Bristol and Blackburn) has lost his bottle and can't even sub intelligently to preserve a lead. Pearson and his staff need to step up their game! 

1 minute ago, Ninos said:

Crude is an understatement. Clement Wassall and Pearson were and are all tactically crude. In contrast, youve got the tactics of Ranieri and guardiola, and Klopp among others implementing a counter press and keeper sweeper (saw it in person at the ipro) and we are stuck with the naive coaches who are the victims of smart, modern footballing tactics. How many times did mcclaren and Clement get picked apart tactically by a coach who set up with a plan. They would even gloat about it after the game. It's depressing that we don't play intelligently and now Pearson (Bristol and Blackburn) has lost his bottle and can't even sub intelligently to preserve a lead. Pearson and his staff need to step up their game! 

And how many times were our tactics better? We came 3rd, 8th and 5th, We won far more than we lost. You certainly can't call McClaren and Clement crude coaches. 

Pearson? You may have a case

I'm new to this forum but upon often having a quick read to listen to other people's views some of the idiots that post are clueless. Former season ticket holder last season (been to most home games this season) and listen week in week out on radio and take big interest in what's going. My person opionin is why can't people see that we are a team full of failure regardless of whoever we have got In charge? Yeah past few seasons we have been up about there pushing for promotion and what not that saying, in my eyes the buys that was brought the start of last season whoever brought these players in (before clements regime) needs a bullet the likes of Tom Ince, Jason Shackell hopeless overpaid idiots who have no passion or desire need to go. Ever wondered why they can't sell them? Or no one has ever come in for them with an honest bid? (Hughes, rusell, Martin included?) because they're useless and no good. 

Just now, Wrightdcfc said:

I'm new to this forum but upon often having a quick read to listen to other people's views some of the idiots that post are clueless. Former season ticket holder last season (been to most home games this season) and listen week in week out on radio and take big interest in what's going. My person opionin is why can't people see that we are a team full of failure regardless of whoever we have got In charge? Yeah past few seasons we have been up about there pushing for promotion and what not that saying, in my eyes the buys that was brought the start of last season whoever brought these players in (before clements regime) needs a bullet the likes of Tom Ince, Jason Shackell hopefully overpaid idiots would have no passion or desire need to go. Ever wondered why they can't sell them? Or no one has ever come in for them with an honest bid? (Hughes, rusell, Martin included?) because they're useless and no good. 

Welcome... Love you 

Archived