Lack of Motivation

Raminphilippines

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think the players lack motivation particularly. They are still working hard (at the wrong things) . The problem is the lack of some of the other key ingredients that make up a functioning and effective team. Things such as character, leadership, direction, intelligence  and a willingness / ability to learn from mistakes.

some of these problems have dogged this group of players at times during the last 3 years. The problem for Pearson and his team is that what they have done so far seems to have made these deficiencies worse, not remedied them

16 hours ago, Raminphilippines said:

These has been a lot said about the players lack of motivation. In my mind it is a managers job to motivate the players.

I feel you only have to watch the difference in these 2 videos to see the problem. Both videos when things have gone wrong. 

If you were a player which one would motivate you the most?

Fallen victim to "cherry-picking" your videos there I'm afraid. With Wassall you've picked an interview where he's being asked directly about an upcoming game, so obviously he's going to be more likely to be trying to motivate his players by being positive. 

Pearson is being interviewd directly after an extremely disappointing defeat and performance. If he came out and talked about the few positives in the game then plenty would complain that he was blind and trying to distract us from the issues at hand. He's being transparent and telling it how it is, and I personally appreciate that a lot more than interviews where managers talk a load of rubbish. 

16 minutes ago, Howard Canitbé said:

Fallen victim to "cherry-picking" your videos there I'm afraid. With Wassall you've picked an interview where he's being asked directly about an upcoming game, so obviously he's going to be more likely to be trying to motivate his players by being positive. 

Pearson is being interviewd directly after an extremely disappointing defeat and performance. If he came out and talked about the few positives in the game then plenty would complain that he was blind and trying to distract us from the issues at hand. He's being transparent and telling it how it is, and I personally appreciate that a lot more than interviews where managers talk a load of rubbish. 

You see to me I don't mind when a manager talks rubbish because they are usually trying to deflect attention away from players and keep confidences levels. The top managers are fantastic at it, they usually blame anything but the players no matter if it adds up. To me what we are seeing from Pearson here is a man who is genuinely concerned whether he will be in a job come monday and is trying to shift blame onto playing staff to save his skin. When the fact is no matter how you approach  it the start of this season has been horribly mismanaged.

I had a job in the past, where the manager treated me like a piece of dirt on his shoe and I lost all my motivation to work hard for him, meanwhile I had jobs where the my manager has been supportive but also critical when the time is right and always keen to give advice/encouragement and I was more happy and able to perform better, the bully boy attitude of bosses does not work in 21st century in any workplace IMO.

People talk about wages, well we live in a capitalist society, hardly the players fault they get paid so much and you'd be a complete idiot to turn down a pay rise if you do the same job.

6 minutes ago, CumbrianRam said:

I had a job in the past, where the manager treated me like a piece of dirt on his show and I lost all my motivation to work hard for him, meanwhile I had jobs where the my manager has been supportive but also critical when the time is right and always keen to give advice/encouragement and I was more happy and able to perform better, the bully boy attitude of bosses does not work in 21st century in any workplace IMO.

People talk about wages, well we live in a capitalist society, hardly the players fault they get paid so much and you'd be a complete idiot to turn down a pay rise if you do the same job.

You're completely correct. I don't think it is a coincidence that most of our recent success has come with a manager who was more the arm around the should type of manager.

23 minutes ago, CumbrianRam said:

I had a job in the past, where the manager treated me like a piece of dirt on his shoe and I lost all my motivation to work hard for him, meanwhile I had jobs where the my manager has been supportive but also critical when the time is right and always keen to give advice/encouragement and I was more happy and able to perform better, the bully boy attitude of bosses does not work in 21st century in any workplace IMO.

Spot on. You have to think as well, he's putting people in completely the wrong jobs too and not letting them do what they're best at. It's like me coming into a job, telling everyone that what they're doing is wrong and you're doing it my way regardless of past success, but to make it that much harder I'm going to put you in roles that make it much more difficult to do what you're best at. After all of this I'm going to start slagging you off and saying you're not motivated. It's no surprise they're not motivated under such prehistoric managerial techniques and tactics.

Doesn't that just show up our squad even more if it's the case? Alongside the current unwanted traits they seem to have, they can now only play for select managers? Issues with Clement, now Pearson. How about they play for Derby County Football Club when 3pm on a Saturday comes and start running through some brick walls for us all. Complete lack of grit and backbone from this squad. 

When people or players lack confidence, they need faith put into them, and they need it rebuilding.

When a so called confidence player looks poor and his confidence looks shot, it reflects bad on the manager. (ie christie)

when a player suddenly starts performing close to his best again after a new manager comes in, it looks good on the manager (see the case of Lallana at Liverpool or Sterling at Man City from this season).

AS for motivation it is a lot like confidence, you can be motivated in differnt ways in all works of life. Having fun at work, and training with a smile on your face is a good start. Not everyone responds to being given a bollocking all the time. They need guidance!!!

I  can imagine Hughes and Bryson being asked to do something which is a bit alien to them isnt much fun when the team is losing, and losing means you then lack the confidence and the motivation to know what to do about it.

The fact Pearson doesnt see any of this shows what a poor manager he is, if he cannot adapit his methods for different players with different strengths and different personalities.

A good manager could have took Leicester to a 100 point season, + taken Derby on this season without trying to use the same tactics for both. Which are clearly different animals.

28 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Doesn't that just show up our squad even more if it's the case? Alongside the current unwanted traits they seem to have, they can now only play for select managers? Issues with Clement, now Pearson. How about they play for Derby County Football Club when 3pm on a Saturday comes and start running through some brick walls for us all. Complete lack of grit and backbone from this squad. 

What? When have they ever stopped trying? When have they ever completely packed in for a manager? 

1 hour ago, cannable said:

What? When have they ever stopped trying? When have they ever completely packed in for a manager? 

Never said either. 

My reply is below a few posts that are discussing the concept of the squad not performing for managers who are a bit tough and robust. 

There's clearly effort on show, the idea that the players aren't trying is and always has been a myth IMO. There's a difference between effort and performing though and many of these players are not applying themselves as they should be. 

I don't really care if they don't like NP but whether that's the case or not, they've got to take on the responsibility of playing for Derby County. 

1 hour ago, Raminphilippines said:

I have been wondering what he is like in training. The only video I can find is this one at Leicester, if this is anything to go by I would say he does not motivate in training in fact does the opposite. If you have ever worked for someone that stands there looking miserable and grumpy you will understand. 

Good spot!

I've been wondering about the NP tough manager image. Can't recall seeing or hearing of him bawling out players. Just seems to sulk and move the occasional one on than confront issues he may have.

2 hours ago, Raminphilippines said:

I have been wondering what he is like in training. The only video I can find is this one at Leicester, if this is anything to go by I would say he does not motivate in training in fact does the opposite. If you have ever worked for someone that stands there looking miserable and grumpy you will understand. 

I think you may well have a point here. This clip really doesn't reflect well on NP. However, it is just a clip. We don't know if it's a true reflection on what he normally does. Maybe, just maybe, he said to one of his coaching staff "you take the next session...."

Also, do you know when this clip was from? I fear it may have been when Leicester were struggling in the Premier league and maybe he doesn't know how to lift players when they're down. However, if it's from when they were successful under him then, he can't have being too much wrong at the time.

7 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I think you may well have a point here. This clip really doesn't reflect well on NP. However, it is just a clip. We don't know if it's a true reflection on what he normally does. Maybe, just maybe, he said to one of his coaching staff "you take the next session...."

Also, do you know when this clip was from? I fear it may have been when Leicester were struggling in the Premier league and maybe he doesn't know how to lift players when they're down. However, if it's from when they were successful under him then, he can't have being too much wrong at the time.

From the date on the video it was at a time when they had been bottom for 2 months. 

2 minutes ago, Raminphilippines said:

From the date on the video it was at a time when they had been bottom for 2 months. 

Mmm. I didn't see the date. So, whilst as I say, it is only one short clip of his approach to coaching, it could (and only could) support my concerns over his ability to motivate when times are bad. If he really does shrink into a sulky shell then we really are in trouble. 

1 hour ago, HantsRam said:

Good spot!

I've been wondering about the NP tough manager image. Can't recall seeing or hearing of him bawling out players. Just seems to sulk and move the occasional one on than confront issues he may have.

Not too bad, got them promoted and kept them up, Chris Powell seems to just smile so you have a combination of both - we cannot change another manager we are slowly becoming a joke. 

Archived