Beer Thread

Cisse

Never mind all that!

What about Mel sorting out the fracas with gobbo, eh?  Blimey, this bloody administration has dragged on, eh?  Still, that's one corner turned, so hopefully on the final straight now.  Can't believe it's not being discussed in more detail in here.  Would be good to hear everyone's thoughts.

What do others think?  Discuss?  Can a mod make this into a poll?  topic/off topic.  etc... etc... 

middle-finger-up-yours.gif

4 hours ago, oomarkwright said:

Eddie, if you were to recommend a short 2-3 day break in Belgium for a site seeing / pub crawl. Which city would you recommend? Perhaps a smaller one. Somewhere with reasonable accommodation prices. Ta. 

I like staying in Oostende and then using the train to get around (Brugge is only 15 minutes away, Gent 40, Brussels just over an hour). Oostende is also very good for the coastal tram, which runs from De Panne on the French border to Knokke on the Dutch, and costs around €7 for the whole day.

The hotels we've used in Oostende are Hotel Du Bassin (right opposite the railway station) and Hotel Botteltje, about 50 yards from the beach and a couple of hundred from the tram stop. Botteltje also has around 400 different Belgian beers. Other great bars in Oostende are Manuscript and Lafayette, which are opposite one another and nice for sitting outside people-watching, and 't Zeezotje, which serve great mussels.

We've stayed in one two hotels in Brugge before - Hotel Koffieboontje, which is right next to the Belfort and the famous Markt square, and The Park Hotel, on 't Zand Square (but that was on a coach trip through Shearings 20 years ago). There are budget hotels and 5-star hotels and everything in between all over the place, so I'm sure you'll find something within your budget.  Brugge is a fabulous city with great architecture (much of it dating back to the 13th and 14th Century) and two brilliant breweries within the city walls (Bourgogne Des Flandres and De Halve Maan), both of whom do brewery tours and both are wonderfully situated. 

Great bars in Brugge include Cafe Rose Red, Staminee De Garre, Le Trappiste and 't Brugs Beertje, Bauhaus and The Beer Wall, but there are hundreds. This city takes its beer seriously.

Remember the golden rule...

1195811726_drinkallthebelgianbeers.jpg.a93ffbc57df02d43ede3a4e976e7770e.jpg

Thanks. 

I've stayed in Ostend before as a stude. Remember going to discos for some great euro pop. But I didn't drink proper beer then. Probably grolsh or Heineken. 

I did love the architecture of Bruges. I'm a town planner so it was with my course mates. Some cheap student hotel gaffe. Or was that Amsterdam? All a bit foggy now 

Edited by oomarkwright

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, oomarkwright said:

Anyone going to the Burton ale trail this weekend? Was going to but trains none existent from Derby 

Thought about it, but the building work I'm having done has overrun owing to weather. It's been the best part of 35 years since I've been in the Coopers (when the legendary Buster was landlord).

On 12/02/2022 at 09:59, Eddie said:

I like staying in Oostende and then using the train to get around (Brugge is only 15 minutes away, Gent 40, Brussels just over an hour). Oostende is also very good for the coastal tram, which runs from De Panne on the French border to Knokke on the Dutch, and costs around €7 for the whole day.

The hotels we've used in Oostende are Hotel Du Bassin (right opposite the railway station) and Hotel Botteltje, about 50 yards from the beach and a couple of hundred from the tram stop. Botteltje also has around 400 different Belgian beers. Other great bars in Oostende are Manuscript and Lafayette, which are opposite one another and nice for sitting outside people-watching, and 't Zeezotje, which serve great mussels.

We've stayed in one two hotels in Brugge before - Hotel Koffieboontje, which is right next to the Belfort and the famous Markt square, and The Park Hotel, on 't Zand Square (but that was on a coach trip through Shearings 20 years ago). There are budget hotels and 5-star hotels and everything in between all over the place, so I'm sure you'll find something within your budget.  Brugge is a fabulous city with great architecture (much of it dating back to the 13th and 14th Century) and two brilliant breweries within the city walls (Bourgogne Des Flandres and De Halve Maan), both of whom do brewery tours and both are wonderfully situated. 

Great bars in Brugge include Cafe Rose Red, Staminee De Garre, Le Trappiste and 't Brugs Beertje, Bauhaus and The Beer Wall, but there are hundreds. This city takes its beer seriously.

Remember the golden rule...

1195811726_drinkallthebelgianbeers.jpg.a93ffbc57df02d43ede3a4e976e7770e.jpg

Can you get Fosters in any of those bars Eddie?

• 2 weeks later...

At 13:17 on Sunday, I ordered 12 x 75cl bottles of Straffe Hendrik Quadrupel (in my opinion, the best beer I've ever tasted) and 6 x 75cl bottles of Straffe Hendrik Tripel (The Memsahib's favourite Tripel) directly from De Halve Maan brewery in Bruges.

The order was fulfilled on Monday, and the beer arrived this morning (Thursday).

The total cost, including delivery, was around £110, or a little over £6 a bottle. Putting that into the context of the usual pub-goer, that's £4.63 a pint - cheaper than a pint of Staropramen at my local 'local'.