Friendly or not friendly

Cook1988

34 minutes ago, jono said:

I wonder what the minimum requirements are to be called a fan rather than a supporter or follower ?

There shouldnt be any. If you support a club through merch sales, ticket sales or purely an investment of time you are a fan.

People get way too caught up in 'who is a proper fan' or who deserves to have an opinion in some cases. I have seen it on here at times (and many other football forums I should say) Its a load of rubbish in my opinion.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

There shouldnt be any. If you support a club through merch sales, ticket sales or purely an investment of time you are a fan.

People get way too caught up in 'who is a proper fan' or who deserves to have an opinion in some cases. I have seen it on here at times (and many other football forums I should say) Its a load of rubbish in my opinion.

I agree.

I have been at games and seen regular 'supporters' whose behaviour was a disgrace.

Loving your club and doing it proud is what counts. 

Liverpool ...One of the few places in the world where you can detect the fans accents when they sing en mass. 

Last time I was in scousland it was with my Luton supporting nephew V Everton in the cup. 

Very friendly atmosphere, Luton hung on and gave them a game for 45 mins then crumbled and got wiped out, but the songs and the singing were great -  suitably insulting from both sides. Luton had "sing when you're thieving" followed by a heartening rendition of "in your northern slums" Everton spiced it up with something colourful about Lorraine Chase and Eric Morecambe. 

Love cup competitions although this tie isn't at an ideal time for our rather brittle egos 

I find fans seem to mingle quite well, always away fans in the fast food places near the ground and usually no issues. Its just when you get a few that have had a beer or think they are being hard because they are in a group that ive seen any altercations.

I have no doubt this affects most clubs.

We should all be able to get on really, i'd never dream of going away or whatever and hurling abuse or giving it all this.

1 hour ago, BathRam72 said:

It is however very sad that someone even had to ask the question in the first place.

I went to watch Bath v Worcester at the weekend (Rugby).

All fans were mixed together. A lot of banter and great fun and drinks freely flowing on both sides.

Such a pity that football can't be the same as the atmosphere was both friendly and electric. 

You're so right, doubt it will totally change even though more family friendly these days.

Suppose Rugby is a physical contact sport played by gentlemen thugs on the pitch, whereas football....

I am going in to this one with a que sera sera mentality  ... Playing a top team, likely to get thumped but maybe it will help team spirit, maybe we wil learn something, gadzooks we might even get a goal. 

If by happenstance we melt down then even that is part of learning and growing up. We won't be relegated, we will just have to pick ourselves up to fight the chicken farmers on Saturday .. Que sera sera 

OR ... A miracle .. And it's still que sera sera but we will be one step nearer to Wembley. Oh how I'd love to sing that song.

hope he gives Timi Max a game as a reward for keeping a cool head when it mattered ... COYR

5 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

The glory hunter thing doesn't bother me too much. I used to get on my high horse about it but ultimately people are free to follow whichever team they want. If they enjoy themselves then fair enough, each to their own and all that.

Yes, people are free to follow whatever team they want, but real football dies when people opt to support a bigger team hundreds of miles away as opposed to their local team. Granted, there are always the people who have family members from Liverpool/Manchester but most non-local United/Chelsea/Liverpool etc 'fans' simply crave success by association and will never really appreciate it in the same way as a local fan. It's almost as if they enjoy the 'game' of football with the Sky Sports coverage and the glitz & glamour, as opposed to the actual 'sport' of football.

Appreciate that all sounds slightly pretentious, but it's just an opinion.

19 minutes ago, Iacomus said:

Yes, people are free to follow whatever team they want, but real football dies when people opt to support a bigger team hundreds of miles away as opposed to their local team. Granted, there are always the people who have family members from Liverpool/Manchester but most non-local United/Chelsea/Liverpool etc 'fans' simply crave success by association and will never really appreciate it in the same way as a local fan. It's almost as if they enjoy the 'game' of football with the Sky Sports coverage and the glitz & glamour, as opposed to the actual 'sport' of football.

Appreciate that all sounds slightly pretentious, but it's just an opinion.

I think you are right and I agree about people following the narrative (dictated largely by Sky) as opposed to the actual game. What is traditionally thought of as a 'glory supporter' used to really wind me up until I realised there are much bigger problems with the game. Obscene money and the greed and corruption that brings will kill the game as we know way before the location of a clubs fanbase will in my opinion. 

The one exception I will make is any grown man who started supporting Chelsea after Abramovic took over. Should be a hanging offense.

8 hours ago, TheRamsAreGoingUp said:

Debating to go tomoz as my Bro does not want to see us get beat 4 nil lol I want to go but mate is a Liverpool fan well supports them does not go to the games lol. What do you all think, will he get beat up lol come on let's be friendly 

lol 

Archived