Who remembers when....

Mostyn6

• Derby County nearly ceased as a club in around 1984, only to be rescued at the "11th hour" by Stuart Webb and co.
  • Derby County owner Robert Maxwell agreed to leave Derby but only after we got relegated and he pocketed the cash from selling Wright and Saunders to Liverpool
  • Pickering had bankrupted himself and the club nearly ended up being bought out by a consortium involving SISU (Coventry) and (ex Bradford chairman) Geoffrey Richmond?.
  • The 3 Amigos buying the club for a pound each, giving Huddlestone to Spurs in exchange for magic beans, then selling Rasiak after the Championship deadline had passed, leaving Phil Brown to play Stern John up front!
  • Fans throwing t-shirts onto the pitch during the QPR game and chanting "where's the money gone?" to GSE.

It amazes me reading what I am reading about Mel Morris at the moment. IGNORANT Derby fans who spent as long as they remember praying for an owner like Mel, only to sling **** in his direction for putting his money where his mouth is. Read the above and remember harsher times, look around the rest of the country. Look at other Midlands club. Villa - relegated after trying to oust Lerner. Birmingham - owner in prison. West Brom - no investment in the team, doomed. Forest - WOW, cuckoooooo. Wolves - spending stupidly but the novelty will wear off very soon. There's only Leicester and they're an exception to the rule.

Mel's intentions have been very good. I clashed with him at Breakfast club, and I am in no way influenced by a pigless breakfast, but, and it's a but... HIS ideas were bang on. I just feel the fan backlash/reaction to a) Wassall and b) The Derby Way, have influenced him and maybe rocked his conviction in the cause, which is worrying,

Derby fans need to be very careful what they wish for, cos over the past few years, this club has been plagued by self-fulfilling prophecies

• What happens if Martin gets injured?... then it happened
  • How will we cope if Thorne gets injured?.... then it happened
  • McClaren will leave and go to Newcastle? ..... six months later, he's sacked and goes there.

About time Derby fans started showing some loyalty and love back to a bloke who deserves some respect, and ultimately, we cannot force out of the club.

He knows, he's not stupid. Mel admitted to us there were things he'd have done differently .... in hindsight.

But it's disgusting to treat him as if he's been worse than any of our owners when reality is, he's been the best in my lifetime.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be fair I thought GSE did an excellent job in bringing stability and sowing the seeds of long term growth. 

Morris has certainly put the money in. Ultimately supporters really only care about the first team and what's happening on the pitch.

All the Academy, the spruced up iPro, the new pitch, mean nothing to a lot of people unless the team is winning. And since he took over that aspect of the club hasn't exactly been great.

3 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Like I said, his heart is in the right place, but decision-making by him and those employed by him have been fairly terrible so far.

I disagree, in taking on one highly recommended coach with great credentials of working with top managers and players, it was difficult to argue against that. What happened after that has probably happened a million times  in business across the world; the person you employ isn't quite the person you interviewed for whatever reason. What does he do then. To me, it was a reasonable decision to put someone in for a few games while he gathered his thoughts on the most important position in the club. He has now gone for a well respected manager with a decent pedigree in this league. Maybe he feels that one or two players needed a firm hand and if they are still here could end up being a better player for it. The guy has a vision for the club that almost certainly doesn't involve lining his own pockets. 

Thankfully, I doubt very much if the muttering of some of the dimmer fans on here bother him in the slightest. 

3 minutes ago, bcnram said:

I disagree, in taking on one highly recommended coach with great credentials of working with top managers and players, it was difficult to argue against that. What happened after that has probably happened a million times  in business across the world; the person you employ isn't quite the person you interviewed for whatever reason. What does he do then. To me, it was a reasonable decision to put someone in for a few games while he gathered his thoughts on the most important position in the club. He has now gone for a well respected manager with a decent pedigree in this league. Maybe he feels that one or two players needed a firm hand and if they are still here could end up being a better player for it. The guy has a vision for the club that almost certainly doesn't involve lining his own pockets. 

Thankfully, I doubt very much if the muttering of some of the dimmer fans on here bother him in the slightest. 

I'd certainly agree that the last thing on his mind is making a profit, however it ends up we'll be better for his ownership, of that I've no doubt.

30 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

There's only one Lionel....but Mel is a close second...so long as he keeps his big beak out of the changing room.

We all make mistakes - and one made out of passion and wanting the club to succeed perhaps a little too much that he can't look beyond frustration is one that I find easy to forgive.

On the GSE thing, I remember a lot of unhappiness during the early Nigel times, but GSE had been sold a "pig in a poke" by Adam Pearson and had their fingers burned, badly. The course taken after that was reasonable, sensible and ultimately they got out reasonably when Mel brought the club - they acted good owners in the end. It was rough for a while, but when it's considered how things might have gone if they'd wanted out after letting Paul Jewell spend all their money, it could have been bad, very bad. 

This thread has also reminded me of this documentary of a club in hard times (which we are not!)

What's frustrates me is the whole sacking Clement for changing too much, appointing Wassall to try and reel things back in again only to appoint a manager who has seemingly been given the liscence to rip it up. 

Why? Seemingly because a bunch of retards accused him of not wanting promotion. It's set us back in the medium term.

Long term he'll be great. I don't really need to say anything about his investment in the academy and training ground do I? His 'Own the Region' initiative is hugely exciting. It's very similar to what West Bron do - however as opposed to funding local teams like him we'll just be providing them with free coaching. I really like his idea of having the youth teams attend a pre-season with the first team. The only problem I have is that - with the liscence being given to change the first team's style of play what of the knock on effects on the academy? They were all supposed to emulate the first team. 

The academy will be his legacy. 

I don't see how a new thread was needed here, this would have followed on perfectly well from a post I made a few hours back.

I have the upmost respect for MM, he's a Derby fan first and foremost and I am pleased to have him on board. That doesn't mean he's immune from any criticism via debate and discussion on a fans forum however. This isn't North Korea afterall! Mostyn you list the turbulant times the club has gone through and I remember pretty much all of them - but this is very misleading in this context as it seems to suggest we have two choices. Either MM or one of those dark days as alternatives and therefore we should be thankful. This is untrue. When MM came in we were on a relatively healthy footing both on and off the pitch. The argument I'm inferring from most is not necessarily the lack of appreciation for investing but the road taken since his arrival and the departure from what was working very well leading up to the playoff final.

ı think we all agree that mistakes have been made, that's not the real issue for me, this happens in all walks of life. These mistakes though could be argued have put the club back years, for me back to when PJ was at the club. Some talented players mixed in with a bloated bunch of average at best players on very high salaries that are unable to perform in any preferred formation. I would really welcome anyone to debate the qualities that Bent, Blackman, Johnson, Camara, Butterfield, even Ince bring to our team on a consistent basis. I could list others. All these signings would have to be signed off with the owner. You could argue he was backing the manager at the time, if so, why sack him a month or two later? Why hire him in the first place?

Compared to some clubs we are in a sense lucky to have him with us but that doesn't mean concerns can't be aired. We are currently 5th bottom with one goal in seven league outings. A club with the size, history and traditions as ours should expect fans to be concerned in this context, it's not overreactionary nor ungrateful. I don't think there's a fan out there ready to bring out the Maxwell Out type banners for the next live game just yet, it's clear we are a long way away from that ever happening anytime soon.

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:
  • Derby County nearly ceased as a club in around 1984, only to be rescued at the "11th hour" by Stuart Webb and co.
  • Derby County owner Robert Maxwell agreed to leave Derby but only after we got relegated and he pocketed the cash from selling Wright and Saunders to Liverpool
  • Pickering had bankrupted himself and the club nearly ended up being bought out by a consortium involving SISU (Coventry) and (ex Bradford chairman) Geoffrey Richmond?.
  • The 3 Amigos buying the club for a pound each, giving Huddlestone to Spurs in exchange for magic beans, then selling Rasiak after the Championship deadline had passed, leaving Phil Brown to play Stern John up front!
  • Fans throwing t-shirts onto the pitch during the QPR game and chanting "where's the money gone?" to GSE.

It amazes me reading what I am reading about Mel Morris at the moment. IGNORANT Derby fans who spent as long as they remember praying for an owner like Mel, only to sling **** in his direction for putting his money where his mouth is. Read the above and remember harsher times, look around the rest of the country. Look at other Midlands club. Villa - relegated after trying to oust Lerner. Birmingham - owner in prison. West Brom - no investment in the team, doomed. Forest - WOW, cuckoooooo. Wolves - spending stupidly but the novelty will wear off very soon. There's only Leicester and they're an exception to the rule.

Mel's intentions have been very good. I clashed with him at Breakfast club, and I am in no way influenced by a pigless breakfast, but, and it's a but... HIS ideas were bang on. I just feel the fan backlash/reaction to a) Wassall and b) The Derby Way, have influenced him and maybe rocked his conviction in the cause, which is worrying,

Derby fans need to be very careful what they wish for, cos over the past few years, this club has been plagued by self-fulfilling prophecies

• What happens if Martin gets injured?... then it happened
  • How will we cope if Thorne gets injured?.... then it happened
  • McClaren will leave and go to Newcastle? ..... six months later, he's sacked and goes there.

About time Derby fans started showing some loyalty and love back to a bloke who deserves some respect, and ultimately, we cannot force out of the club.

He knows, he's not stupid. Mel admitted to us there were things he'd have done differently .... in hindsight.

But it's disgusting to treat him as if he's been worse than any of our owners when reality is, he's been the best in my lifetime.

I've given you a like,, there's a couple of bits I don't quite agree with but the bones of the post are spot on , Mel Morris is one of us and I for one am really glad we have him and long may it continue , I did nt t think clement was the right choice nor wassell come to that , but as has been stated on here there's never any garuntee that a manager will work out,,, Mel has to make those appointments and will never please all of the people all of the time but he makes those choices with the best intentions for derby county and he backs the manager financially ,,, he will do for me ,, I've never met the bloke but if I ever do I will shake his hand and treat him like a fellow ram , I don't want or need to micro analyse hie every move or decision as our owner ,, would nt mind some keep it under your hat info from him though

40 minutes ago, cannable said:

What's frustrates me is the whole sacking Clement for changing too much, appointing Wassall to try and reel things back in again only to appoint a manager who has seemingly been given the liscence to rip it up. 

Why? Seemingly because a bunch of retards accused him of not wanting promotion. It's set us back in the medium term.

Long term he'll be great. I don't really need to say anything about his investment in the academy and training ground do I? His 'Own the Region' initiative is hugely exciting. It's very similar to what West Bron do - however as opposed to funding local teams like him we'll just be providing them with free coaching. I really like his idea of having the youth teams attend a pre-season with the first team. The only problem I have is that - with the liscence being given to change the first team's style of play what of the knock on effects on the academy? They were all supposed to emulate the first team. 

The academy will be his legacy. 

Is it  possible that Mel Morris' may have been pretty disappointed with the players response to and treatment of wass ( someone considered to be a good club servant) and that may have had a big influence on him appearing to change tack and bring Pearson in ,, clement sacked for trying to change things and wassells tenure showing him clearly that change was needed?

Hve to say I agree with pretty much every word @Mostyn6  Some of the stuff I've read on this forum makes me feel really uncomfortable.  I hope in time that the graceless few will come to see how lucky we are to have Morris. It's fine that some fans feel differently but some of the bile being spat out on these forums is way over the top IMO.

7 hours ago, Archie said:

I don't see how a new thread was needed here, this would have followed on perfectly well from a post I made a few hours back.

I have the upmost respect for MM, he's a Derby fan first and foremost and I am pleased to have him on board. That doesn't mean he's immune from any criticism via debate and discussion on a fans forum however. This isn't North Korea afterall! Mostyn you list the turbulant times the club has gone through and I remember pretty much all of them - but this is very misleading in this context as it seems to suggest we have two choices. Either MM or one of those dark days as alternatives and therefore we should be thankful. This is untrue. When MM came in we were on a relatively healthy footing both on and off the pitch. The argument I'm inferring from most is not necessarily the lack of appreciation for investing but the road taken since his arrival and the departure from what was working very well leading up to the playoff final.

ı think we all agree that mistakes have been made, that's not the real issue for me, this happens in all walks of life. These mistakes though could be argued have put the club back years, for me back to when PJ was at the club. Some talented players mixed in with a bloated bunch of average at best players on very high salaries that are unable to perform in any preferred formation. I would really welcome anyone to debate the qualities that Bent, Blackman, Johnson, Camara, Butterfield, even Ince bring to our team on a consistent basis. I could list others. All these signings would have to be signed off with the owner. You could argue he was backing the manager at the time, if so, why sack him a month or two later? Why hire him in the first place?

Compared to some clubs we are in a sense lucky to have him with us but that doesn't mean concerns can't be aired. We are currently 5th bottom with one goal in seven league outings. A club with the size, history and traditions as ours should expect fans to be concerned in this context, it's not overreactionary nor ungrateful. I don't think there's a fan out there ready to bring out the Maxwell Out type banners for the next live game just yet, it's clear we are a long way away from that ever happening anytime soon.

Spot on. Frustrates me when people use extremes to make a point. 

I don't think  he has attracted any real venom from fans. People have concerns and in this day and age many ways of airing those concerns.. Like you said this is not North Korea... Suck it up and get on with it.

We should always question.. 

9 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

There's only one Lionel....but Mel is a close second...so long as he keeps his big beak out of the changing room.

people talk about Mel making bad decisions, but Lionel's decisions put the club back 15 years and lumbered us with the dross of the 00s, most notably the 3 amigos. His intentions were good, and Mel is similar, but he made some very bad decisions.

Archived