Who remembers when....

Mostyn6

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, HantsRam said:

Certainly sounds plausible @G STAR RAM. The scenario from afar looked a bit to me as though Mel was doing a bit of "try before you buy " with Darren wassall - possibly to avoid repeating what was probably an expensive mistake in hiring and then quickly firing clement + entourage. 

I was struck by Mels comments when he did appoint pearson about how he was most closely aligned to mel out of all the applicants. So either what is happening now was long planned  (or at least discussed as a possibility ), or alternatively pearson was a little economical with the truth with Mel. 

I'd like to think Pearson has a staged plan of ultimately getting to the Derby Way, or a revised version of it at least.

I would, and do imagine, it starts with removing elements within the squad which could be hindering progress, then I reckon there will be several steps in the dance, culminating a few years down the line with Derby established as a mid-to-lower Premier League side. This plan could be where the alignment is.

Sadly, the step 1 needs to be aligned to better results or the fans lose faith.

15 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

I'd like to think Pearson has a staged plan of ultimately getting to the Derby Way, or a revised version of it at least.

I would, and do imagine, it starts with removing elements within the squad which could be hindering progress, then I reckon there will be several steps in the dance, culminating a few years down the line with Derby established as a mid-to-lower Premier League side. This plan could be where the alignment is.

Shows a great deal of considered foresight does that analysis. 

I think that as a fanbase there is a proportion of between 65 and 75 % who would live with a few steps back in the short term for the benefit of longer term progress. So we may see crowds dip in the near future - only 26k the other night for example might be illustrative for the near future.  But the positive is getting back to a more supportive core if that makes sense.

The club's management could help things along with a bit of communication - if nothing else it stops us trying to infer what might be going on from media soundbites. If the club are all aligned behind what nigel is doing then surely no harm?I realise that there should be no entitlement as fans but just picking up on your point as to not losing heart.

2 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

ouch, are you a tad bitter Bris? You clearly have attention issues and like to revel in doom and gloom and pessimistically getting people all depressed. I sometimes wish this was Big Brother so I could nominate you off the forum for a while.

I wish the Bris of a couple of years back, who had appreciation for pragmatism and growth, was back on the forum. Cos this version, especially supportive of a corrupt Spanish league where money is thrown around sickeningly has become a confused hypocrite.

Way to take a joke!  Are you enjoying going to the iPro this season? Watching rubbish football and scoring zero goals can't be much fun I'd imagine.

30 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

If that is the case though why not try and get that across to the fans?

4 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Shows a great deal of considered foresight does that analysis. 

I think that as a fanbase there is a proportion of between 65 and 75 % who would live with a few steps back in the short term for the benefit of longer term progress. So we may see crowds dip in the near future - only 26k the other night for example might be illustrative for the near future.  But the positive is getting back to a more supportive core if that makes sense.

The club's management could help things along with a bit of communication - if nothing else it stops us trying to infer what might be going on from media soundbites. If the club are all aligned behind what nigel is doing then surely no harm?I realise that there should be no entitlement as fans but just picking up on your point as to not losing heart.

I think we both know such things are pointless. Look how many things are said that fans refuse to believe over recent years. GSE made their plan very clear and people didn't believe them until they left. Over the years the club has said they won't cash in on the likes of Hughes in the same way Huddlestone was sold, only now do fans accept that is true. McClaren said he wasn't leaving for Newcastle and was committed to trying to get Derby promoted, he didn't leave, and he did try.

So all that would happen, in the same way everything Mel has already said is questioned and refuted by fans as lies, is that Mel would say something, and fans would call "bull-sausage" on it.

All will soon be revealed, wasn't it during October half term when we held the open training session, followed by the fan Q&A at the ground?

Another evening of PowerPoint presentations is just what the doctor ordered to set everyone's mind at rest.

9 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Way to take a joke!  Are you enjoying going to the iPro this season? Watching rubbish football and scoring zero goals can't be much fun I'd imagine.

well, I've been around a long time I remember most of what I posted in the opening post on this thread. I remember that feeling when Niall Quinn saved a Deano penalty. That relegation took a lot of effort to recover from and several boards of directors until Pickering funded Cox and McFarland's unsuccessful attempts to get promoted. The football wasn't as exciting as the atmosphere back then. I endured all of this century's woeful football, aside of a good Burley season and a pragmatic and shrewd Billy play-off promotion, it's been largely rubbish.

So, I'm no bandwagon jumper. I was here through a lot worse than what we've been watching this season. 

If I was to scale the games of this century in performance order, none of this season's would be anywhere near the bottom 50%!

My fun is just being there. Cos I am loyal to Derby County.

29 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

I think we both know such things are pointless. Look how many things are said that fans refuse to believe over recent years. GSE made their plan very clear and people didn't believe them until they left. Over the years the club has said they won't cash in on the likes of Hughes in the same way Huddlestone was sold, only now do fans accept that is true. McClaren said he wasn't leaving for Newcastle and was committed to trying to get Derby promoted, he didn't leave, and he did try.

So all that would happen, in the same way everything Mel has already said is questioned and refuted by fans as lies, is that Mel would say something, and fans would call "bull-sausage" on it.

I believe that there may be a distinction between communicating intentions and describing why events that have already taken place occurred.

Easy to snort derisively at the first. Less so the second. You are of course correct that a degree of cynicism is to be expected in any corporate communications exercise. 

2 minutes ago, Joe. said:

I'd say it's the latter, don't take it to heart

well I will, as it's either clearly personal, or you didn't read my opening post.

You're more intelligent than to throw stupid responses around, but this is one. If anything I probably dislike brutal men like Mel Morris. In my experience working for men like that, they can easily ruin someone's life and career on a whim, with no remorse.

But in the interest of balance and fairness, I have spoken what I think to be right. Not sycophantic, not arse-licking in any way.

20 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

If I was to scale the games of this century in performance order, none of this season's would be anywhere near the bottom 50%!

My fun is just being there. Cos I am loyal to Derby County.

My fun is seeing Derby win - I started watching in 68/69 and I never realised that losing was an option until much later on! We've had neither good football nor winning runs this season. It's PANTS!

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

My fun is seeing Derby win - I started watching in 68/69 and I never realised that losing was an option until much later on! We've had neither good football nor winning runs this season. It's PANTS!

we've had hardly any in 20 years duck!

11 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

well I will, as it's either clearly personal, or you didn't read my opening post.

You're more intelligent than to throw stupid responses around, but this is one. If anything I probably dislike brutal men like Mel Morris. In my experience working for men like that, they can easily ruin someone's life and career on a whim, with no remorse.

But in the interest of balance and fairness, I have spoken what I think to be right. Not sycophantic, not arse-licking in any way.

Clearly too passionate about the man to see im on a wind up ?

For the record I haven't got much of an issue with Mel Morris, he made some bad, no, terrible decisions in the past. But at least he isn't an oyston

4 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

You can't really back that up can you.. It's your hope (probably true) but just a guess...

The evidence i have is that he is a Derby County fan which makes it natural for him to have the club's best interests at heart.  Most club owners don't have that long term connection with the club they own.  Also he been spending plenty of his own money in a bid (unsuccessful so far)  to strengthen the squad.  This does seem to support my assertion that the Rams are not just an 'investment' for Mel.  Of course i don't know for sure what he plans for the future but I think the indications are good...so let's call it an educated guess. 

Archived