Who remembers when....

Mostyn6

Just now, cannable said:

Every single time there's a new TV deal everybody says the same thing. All money does is give you a broader pool of potential signings. Your recruitment team still has to have some idea on how they will fit into the team. 

That's my point. It's a pretty big 'All money does ...'

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, cannable said:

And we just about did it… 

I'd rather have good recruitment than spunk millions on transfers.

^^This

The only thing I can criticise Mr Morris for is the lavish spending spree last season, but to be fair the recruitment team sold him up the river with a majority of them.  We've gone over the square pegs in round holes thing endlessly but bar Carson, Shackell (other than his passing he's as solid as they come) & Olsson to a certain degree, have been value for money.  If the recruitment team were as good as we were led to believe they were then Hughes & Bryson's absence could've been resolved by a couple of good Prem/foreign loans instead of wasting £10m on average players.  

Just now, Seth's left foot said:

Don't forget that Mel had to deal with mitigating circumstances regarding PC and IMO this affected Martins form.

granted, the DW appointment was a mistake but he seemed to have a plan for the summer. 

Wassall wasn't a mistake. The mistake was going back on the reason Wassall was appointed.

Either Pearson should have been appointed in February or somebody that fit the squad should have been appointed in June/July.

3 minutes ago, cannable said:

Either Pearson should have been appointed in February or somebody that fit the squad should have been appointed in June/July.

Pearson was STILL employed as Leicester manager on gardening leave until the end of the season. Why can't people fathom this? He was also entitled to bonuses for Leicester's performance last season, hence Mel not buying out his contract, BUT, he was also lined up for the Villa job and even went as far as organising their pre-season tour. But for similar reasons, they couldn't sign a contract, and by the time his Leicester contract finished, Villa has new owners with new ideas.

1 minute ago, Seth's left foot said:

I disagree. IF he had taken us up we would've been battered (again).

His remit was to get performances back on track - not to get us promoted. He did this. Had we been promoted the blueprint would have been there for whoever was to take us forward.

Sadly the moronic section of our fan base interpreted this as Mel not wanting promotion.

1 minute ago, Mostyn6 said:

Pearson was STILL employed as Leicester manager on gardening leave until the end of the season. Why can't people fathom this? He was also entitled to bonuses for Leicester's performance last season, hence Mel not buying out his contract, BUT, he was also lined up for the Villa job and even went as far as organising their pre-season tour. But for similar reasons, they couldn't sign a contract, and by the time his Leicester contract finished, Villa has new owners with new ideas.

He was supposedly reaching out to us when we sacked Clement was he not? 

1 hour ago, cannable said:

His remit was to get performances back on track - not to get us promoted. He did this. Had we been promoted the blueprint would have been there for whoever was to take us forward.

Sadly the moronic section of our fan base interpreted this as Mel not wanting promotion.

And said that the job was his for the taking?

those ****** are the same one's booing now as it's only one syllable.

20 minutes ago, Seth's left foot said:

How is m0rons a swear word?! :blink:

You can't call people m0rons, you can only think they are. In the same way, I think that an increasing number of posters on here are brain dead feckwits who shouldn't be allowed uncontrolled access to a keyboard or a RD phone-in, but I don't say it because that would be considered a tad rude, so I only think they are. :ph34r:

1 minute ago, bcnram said:

You can't call people m0rons, you can only think they are. In the same way, I think that an increasing number of posters on here are brain dead feckwits who shouldn't be allowed uncontrolled access to a keyboard or a RD phone-in, but I don't say it because that would be considered a tad rude, so I only think they are. :ph34r:

You spelt feckwits wrong

I don't often post, but felt compelled to this time as this is the first topic for ages that is based on common sense and has some well argued and well reasoned responses - often, it's the vocal minority with mis-informed or ill-directed opinions that take the fore. Thanks for starting it Mostyn.

As an example, people say it was a mistake to sack Clement - based on what ? No-one knows all the facts apart from the club and it'll stay private which is the way it should be. Maybe the situation was untenable and for whatever reason MM had to act - so perhaps we ought to trust MM a bit more rather than pick up the first stick available and start beating him with it ?

And then people say MM shouldn't have put Wassall in charge and got Pearson in sooner - as another poster said, Pearson wasn't available then ... so maybe MM was acting in the best interests of the club again, and had a long term plan ?

Let's face facts we've got a fantastic club, that's very well run now, and owned by a local rich business man who is a fan and has put his money where his mouth is - supporters of most other clubs would give their right arm for that ! And yes, I remember the dark days of Stuart Webb dashing to the High Court with a bag full of £££. 

Anyway, I love this club through thick & thin, and I trust MM & Co - but I'm fed up with all the negativity that's around at the moment.

I reckon we should start off with a chant of " One Mel Morris " at the Liverpool game ..... we need a bit of positivity from the stands, and that'll show that the fans are behind the club & the team !

32 minutes ago, Herdwick Ram said:

I don't often post, but felt compelled to this time as this is the first topic for ages that is based on common sense and has some well argued and well reasoned responses - often, it's the vocal minority with mis-informed or ill-directed opinions that take the fore. Thanks for starting it Mostyn.

As an example, people say it was a mistake to sack Clement - based on what ? No-one knows all the facts apart from the club and it'll stay private which is the way it should be. Maybe the situation was untenable and for whatever reason MM had to act - so perhaps we ought to trust MM a bit more rather than pick up the first stick available and start beating him with it ?

And then people say MM shouldn't have put Wassall in charge and got Pearson in sooner - as another poster said, Pearson wasn't available then ... so maybe MM was acting in the best interests of the club again, and had a long term plan ?

Let's face facts we've got a fantastic club, that's very well run now, and owned by a local rich business man who is a fan and has put his money where his mouth is - supporters of most other clubs would give their right arm for that ! And yes, I remember the dark days of Stuart Webb dashing to the High Court with a bag full of £££. 

Anyway, I love this club through thick & thin, and I trust MM & Co - but I'm fed up with all the negativity that's around at the moment.

I reckon we should start off with a chant of " One Mel Morris " at the Liverpool game ..... we need a bit of positivity from the stands, and that'll show that the fans are behind the club & the team !

Well said.

I won't challenge any points on the original post by @Mostyn6 without fear of being lynched by a baying mob, bringing the forum into disrepute and getting a ban.

Everyone on here knows my feelings about the man, I find it quite alarming this thread has opened today all of a sudden after yesterday's......

Think it's time for me to give myself a break from posting publicly on here for a while..... 

You know where I am on Twitter those who follow. I will answer DMS on here and lurk..... 

I'll be back 

Regards the Mafia (Andy Margett) 

Still plenty of time for things to come good under MM. It wasn't his fault that McLaren turned out to be a self serving duplicitous scum bag, or that Clement did what ever he did to make his position untenable. Any successful businessman will tell you that it often takes a few attempts to find a successful formula.

Archived