How long??

Jimbo Ram

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wanted Pearson, I still want Pearson, I acknowledge stability is key, I was enthused by our improved performance tonight.

But.

The midfield pairing isn't a great fit for a 442, and George Thorne wouldn't be an ideal fit in a two either. That negates one of our strongest assets, the Hughes, Bryson, Thorne triumvirate.

I don't like the fact that we're so lightweight in the front 6 and haven't got anyone up top who can play with his back to goal and have the ball in to feet. Looks like bad planning to me.

I hate the fact that we've spent £12m on Vydra and Anya who I like but who are vastly over-priced, plus loaned in a wafty coward in Wilson. Seems like we can't make a signing unless it costs silly money or comes from a "big club" since Mel came in. Nig down the A38 has picked up another £200k bargain from Scotland who's scored 4 time more goals than our entire team. Where's the scouting? Who's signing these players that we can't find better, cheaper? 

I think the window was poor for us, and the results have been appalling. By all criteria, Pearson must have had just about as bad a start as any Rams manager in history. 

Still. The only way is up eh?

It's a 46-game season and some people are talking as if it's May and we're stranded in the bottom six.

It's all well and good saying Pearson is on borrowed time and should be sacked if things continue as they have been. But once we sack him, we actually have to replace him!

Pearson is our fourth manager in 18 months. The next one would be our fifth. Would you trust Mel and Sam with that decision given their recent track record? Does the club look an attractive proposition right now? Are there good foundations to work from and clear directions to follow? Is there anyone out there who could do a better job? Are our fans patient enough to let a manager see their job through?

I'm struggling to say yes to any of those questions.

What we've seen so far doesn't promise much for the future under Pearson. Five points, one win, one goal scored and four defeats from seven league games is a dreadful start to the season. There is no escaping it. But a start is all it is, right now. In 15-20 games, the outlook could be completely different. With that in mind, Mel would be incredibly hasty to sack Pearson in the not too distant future. He needs to stand by his decision to appoint him and give Pearson time to actualise some of his ideas and learn from some of his mistakes too. He is making the job more difficult for himself certainly, but it's not yet become an impossible job.

Pearson was nowhere near my first choice. But I dread to think who'd be available in the near future to replace him. Would a promising young manager like Wagner or Rowett want to risk their reputation on a job like this? Would an experienced manager like Warnock want to struggle off the sofa, hop on a mobility scooter and head down to Moor Farm? Would we be any more patient if they were in a similar situation another 7-10 games down the line?

Again, I'm struggling to say yes to any of those questions.

I'm not saying Pearson is the right man for the job. I'm not saying he has the right ideas. I'm not saying he makes the right decisions. Everything I've seen so far points to the contrary.

But we are seven games into the season. We're on a bad run but we still have 39 games to play and 117 points to play for. Surely that's enough time to make amends?

11 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

What we've seen so far doesn't promise much for the future under Pearson. Five points, one win, one goal scored and four defeats from seven league games is a dreadful start to the season. There is no escaping it. But a start is all it is, right now. In 15-20 games, the outlook could be completely different. With that in mind, Mel would be incredibly hasty to sack Pearson in the not too distant future. He needs to stand by his decision to appoint him and give Pearson time to actualise some of his ideas and learn from some of his mistakes too. He is making the job more difficult for himself certainly, but it's not yet become an impossible job.

Pearson was nowhere near my first choice. But I dread to think who'd be available in the near future to replace him.

Does this squad look like it will get better under Pearson?

Chris Powell used to be a manager.

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Does this squad look like it will get better under Pearson?

Chris Powell used to be a manager.

I've seen three games from the seven league games we've played so far and there has been little to no improvement. But that doesn't mean necessarily that there is none forthcoming.

For me, the signs suggest the squad will slowly get better under Pearson but not soon enough for some Derby fans and I suspect the owner too, given his past form. It's strange that we could tolerate five years of what was almost exclusively miserable, uninspiring, going nowhere football under Nigel Clough with a group of players that were struggling and had paper-thin confidence. But Nigel Pearson should be out after a matter of months when in similar form. I understand the expectations are different now, the position of the club is different now, but surely in both cases, giving a manager time should be the prevailing idea.

Why would we sack Pearson and promote his number two? As much as I like Chris Powell, surely in such a scenario he is part of the problem and not the answer to the problem? He is Pearson's right-hand man, he is Pearson's sounding board. Surely by and large they are on the same wavelength and logic dictates we would be no better off with Powell as number one. After all, if he thinks Pearson is getting things wrong and he thinks things should be done differently, it's his job to pipe up and say so.

Pearson needs time and I don't see a better alternative at this moment. Do you? Who would be on your shortlist to replace Pearson?

12 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Pearson needs time and I don't see a better alternative at this moment. Do you? Who would be on your shortlist to replace Pearson?

Pearson might get time but do you think we'll like where we end up?

As I said Chris Powell may as well stand in for Pearson and we can wipe off another manager (for me anyway).

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Pearson might get time but do you think we'll like where we end up?

As I said Chris Powell may as well stand in for Pearson and we can wipe off another manager (for me anyway).

Well, who knows where we'll end up? It's not exactly set in stone after seven games.

Football is a strange old game. When Billy Davies guided us to promotion, did anyone foresee us getting a record low points total in the PL? When Nigel Clough had us in the top six in the winter of 2010-11, did anyone foresee us going on to win 4 from 27 and finishing 19th after losing to Burnley in November? When Phil Brown was sacked after losing 6-1 at Coventry in 2006, did anyone foresee Premier League management in his future? When Paul Jewell was splattered across newspaper front pages in his underwear, did anyone foresee employment of any description in his future? :lol:

Mel Morris appointed Pearson and obviously gave the green light to Pearson coming in and having autonomy. He is trying something new, he is taking us in a different direction but it's all very much at a formative stage.

Morris keeps making bad decisions but he needs to stand by this decision because seven games is not enough time to say conclusively whether Pearson is a good or bad appointment.

But again, what would be the point of appointing Powell? What would he do differently? It's not exactly a fresh set of eyes. If Powell is the answer, the question should not need to be asked. In Powell's current role, he can have just as much positive influence and input on tactics, selection, training etc as he would get as number one. He is Pearson's greatest ally and most trusted member of staff. The only difference being is if he is manager, he is a million times more culpable.

5 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I totally agree but we have sacked a Manager who just missed out on promotion/ play offs twice and then another who was a few points off the top 2??? What do you think Morris is thinking?

I'd pay good money to know what Mel Morris is thinking right now I can tell you. 

6 hours ago, cannable said:

Credibility - destroyed.

Because my opinion differs from yours?

So you'd say we have achieved our goals over the last couple of seasons? 

We capitulated two seasons running, if we had players with a bit of fight and not a bottler mentality we would be in the premiership right now. 

Am I the only person that saw more positives in last nights performance that in any other game this season? How we didn't score last night il never know, we had multiple chances, forced their keeper into multiple saves, had a chance with the last kick of the game from 4 yards out that any other player on the pitch would have scored and let's be honest we've lost to an absolute goal keeping howler.

I thought the players left it all out on the pitch tonight, I don't like the idea of a Hughes and Bryson midfield 2 but they did well against a midfield 3 of Ipswich last night. Will Hughes for me was the best player on the pitch last night by a country mile, when was the last time we could say that about one of our players?

The crowd could see the effort and improvement on the pitch, we were loud and proud in the first half of a performance that should of seen us going in at half time 1 or 2 up possibly. Its going to be a tough season of transition, it's true what others posters have said we've got to irradiate the bottling culture at our club and that's going to take a complete upheaval of the playing squad, Wel need another 2 possibly 3 Windows before we see the best of Derby County again IMO.

Just now, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

Am I the only person that saw more positives in last nights performance that in any other game this season? How we didn't score last night il never know, we had multiple chances, forced their keeper into multiple saves, had a chance with the last kick of the game from 4 yards out that any other player on the pitch would have scored and let's be honest we've lost to an absolute goal keeping howler.

I thought the players left it all out on the pitch tonight, I don't like the idea of a Hughes and Bryson midfield 2 but they did well against a midfield 3 of Ipswich last night. Will Hughes for me was the best player on the pitch last night by a country mile, when was the last time we could say that about one of our players?

The crowd could see the effort and improvement on the pitch, we were loud and proud in the first half of a performance that should of seen us going in at half time 1 or 2 up possibly. Its going to be a tough season of transition, it's true what others posters have said we've got to irradiate the bottling culture at our club and that's going to take a complete upheaval of the playing squad, Wel need another 2 possibly 3 Windows before we see the best of Derby County again IMO.

We wont have much money to spend. We had to sell to buy in the summer. I wouldnt be surprised if went for loans and free transfers. We wont go into FPP **** though. Shame we wasted our money on blackman and other rubibsh like that

8 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

If we could list the achievements made since Mel Morris took over the club, what would they be?

So far:

Sacked McLaren.

Hired Clement - our Ferguson.

Sacked Clement.

Hired Wassall.

Hire Redknapp to baby sit.

Harry left without so much as a good bye.

Wassall demoted to academy.

Pearson hired.

When does it end?

I seem to remember a very large vocal majority demanding the last 2 points on your list...

31 minutes ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

Will Hughes against Newcastle just few days ago.

39 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I seem to remember a very large vocal majority demanding the last 2 points on your list...

Doesn't mean to say they should be listened to, or were right though does it. That's what makes being the owner such a difficult job, at the minute it's not one I'd necessarily choose Mel for!

Mel would be mental to get rid of Pearson.

He's backed him in every decision he's made so far including changing the shape of the team and the make up of the squad.

Pearson's track record shows he WILL get it right. He's not as daft as some are trying to make out. If you remember there was one "slightly" dodgy season at Leicester but then he went 3 seasons where they were literally never out of the top 6. If it means he's going to get rid of the NC squad and/or a couple of fans favourites, so be it. He'll replace them with players who you'll soon grow to love and let's be honest most of you have already shown how quickly you're willing to forget one of the hero's and turn them into villains, so it's not like there's much fan loyalty towards players anyway.

Give him time, he'll deliver what you all want and as long as you don't keep spitting your dummies surely it doesn't matter if it takes another couple of seasons.

Buckle up, get behind the manager and his new players and remember you're Derby frigging County and not Barcelona, no-one promised you you'd be winning games every week. Sometimes being a football fan is tough.

Archived