The whining about Pearson thread

cheron85

1 hour ago, IlsonDerby said:

Okay, Who do you think celebrated their season the most last year, Hull or Derby/Wednesday/Brighton? 

Another - We played the best football in the league but were still demolished by Leicester 4-1. Do you think they cared that we were known for our attacking football? 

The past three years have been the most enjoyable years I've had as a Derby fan. I've seen us promoted and win at Wembley with ugly football, which was a great feeling at the time but on the whole the 13/14 season or the George Burley season were much more enjoyable. 

I'd rather we played our way and enjoy it. If we go up, brilliant, if not then I don't really mind. Four or five years ago we were a lower mid table outfit who just wanted good football. Now people have higher expectations and want us to drop that and go up no matter what.

Let's say Pearson rips apart this squad, which has provided fans some of the most enjoyable football since Jim Smith, and starts to rebuild. That will take a few seasons and whose to say it will work? It took him 3 years to get a side whose squad was miles better than anyone else up, how long will it take us? His track record isn't perfect too so it's still an if. 

The game where Leicester battered us 4-1 was the season where we came out of nowhere. Leicester had a better squad and were just straight up a better side, it's hardly a surprising result. 

It's just sad to see how egotistical some of our fans have become, when only a few years ago we were struggling to stay in the division. 

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Nobody is saying the first half at Villa was good enough so stop exaggerating ffs.

We had about 8 months of playing great gung ho all attack football under Mac. It fell apart when we lost our two most crucial players for the system. Since then it hasn't worked, we were found out and weren't good enough to play our game when the opposition knew what to expect.

Please stop acting like that is the only football that can be enjoyed. I'll point back to Atleti, do you not enjoy watching them because it isn't all tip tap? 

Atleti dominate the ball in most of their matches. Shows how much of them you watch!

I'm countering the point that people would be promoted at any cost rather than in an entertaining way. I just can't understand why people would pay to watch football and not want to be entertained.

There are many different ways and styles to enjoy football. But long-ball, defensive football and wanting the game to finish the moment you get a 1-0 lead? I just don't get it..

And for the last point. We didn't get 'found out'. That's such a ridiculous statement. What does it even mean? That people know how we play? They've done a poor job at countering it if that's the case because if it needs pointing out again, we won 67 games from 138 in three seasons. Not bad for being 'found out'.

23 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

We had about 8 months of playing great gung ho all attack football under Mac. It fell apart when we lost our two most crucial players for the system. Since then it hasn't worked, we were found out and weren't good enough to play our game when the opposition knew what to expect.

I don't agree with that in the slightest. Whenever we've had our strongest 11 we've battered teams. Do you not remember the end of last season when we finally got going with Hughes, Thorne and Bryson? Thorne broke his leg, we panicked in the first leg against Hull and made the wrong selection, then made the right one in the 2nd leg and hammered them.

Plus when it fell apart under Mac we lost more than 2 players.

We lost our DM and both back ups and our striker and his back up. 

And McClaren made mistakes such as Keogh RB, Cyrus RB, Shotton RB, Shotton CB, Keogh CB, Forsyth CB, Raul CB, Buxton CB, Warnock LB, Forsyth LB.... was crazy. 

Looking at the results of the season is like looking at the result of that 2-2 Cardiff game. Tells such a small story.

We play that game 10 times and we would win more than half easily. And it was the same with 2014/15. If we learned from that season and had a touch more luck with injuries (like spread out rather than hitting 2 spots in our spine) then we'd step up the level again. 

Have to look beyond the result of a game or a season and focus on the long journey. 

As for 2015/16. Clement played nothing like Mac. It was 433 for paperwork. Defended totally different. Played in flat lines. Passed for passing sake and the Shackell, Warnock, Johnson, Russell left side was awful at football. Rubbish.

But Clement was on a learning curve. But his football was no worse than what we're seeing now. 

Big mac potentially had the easiest job of the lot of the recent managers... Came in... Filled the lads with confidence and used his contacts to loan players that were better than what we had unlike nigel clough who loaned players worse than what we had

we were rubbish everyone thought we were mid - low table & everyone thought mac was a joke.., nobody feared us & we were an unknown quantity. We played fast attacking counter attacking football and took the division by surprise 

following on from that season everyone knew we were decent feared us played with men behind the ball and marked us out the game. Second season wasnt as good as the first. We fell apart but teams found us out 'just stick a man on thorne' 

Instead of breaking teams down we then got a new manager in and started playing passing slow sideways football trying to break teams down and it was crap

The teams been pulled about in different systems  we need to get back to basics and start playing a certain way.  The players are three years older than they were in the first season under mac, how many have improved in three years? Not many some have probably faded and some probably played out of their skins. 

We've ended up over loaded in midfield and man for man we're not as good as we we were three years ago. Even the players that remain are not as good. Russell isnt as consistent as he was three year ago & we've not replaced ward 

All we are doing is going round in circles. If we got rid of Pearson we start all over again. We can't just sack a manager when things don't go right. Pearson should have been given the rest of last season to evaluate his playing staff and start to to fit his style. However for whatever reason that didn't happen or wasn't possible. Results are far more important than style. If we went through the season and won every game 1 - 0 but played rubbish would everyone moan? Because in that case we would be record breakers with number of wins and points. I know that is a tad ridiculous but everyone seems to be fixated on style. However one goal in four games is shocking.

16 minutes ago, G-Ram said:

Big mac potentially had the easiest job of the lot of the recent managers... Came in... Filled the lads with confidence and used his contacts to loan players that were better than what we had unlike nigel clough who loaned players worse than what we had

we were rubbish everyone thought we were mid - low table & everyone thought mac was a joke.., nobody feared us & we were an unknown quantity. We played fast attacking counter attacking football and took the division by surprise 

following on from that season everyone knew we were decent feared us played with men behind the ball and marked us out the game. Second season wasnt as good as the first. We fell apart but teams found us out 'just stick a man on thorne' 

Instead of breaking teams down we then got a new manager in and started playing passing slow sideways football trying to break teams down and it was crap

The teams been pulled about in different systems  we need to get back to basics and start playing a certain way.  The players are three years older than they were in the first season under mac, how many have improved in three years? Not many some have probably faded and some probably played out of their skins. 

We've ended up over loaded in midfield and man for man we're not as good as we we were three years ago. Even the players that remain are not as good. Russell isnt as consistent as he was three year ago & we've not replaced ward 

I don't think the Mac season was 'found out'.

Thorne was injured in pre season. Mascarell was a good player but a total hothead in DM. Results went wrong when we lost these DM's (Eustace) and Martin then eventually Bent. 

Up until Bournemouth away we were doing fine.

As good as first season? In a way. But teams sat waaaaay further back. We can't help that. But we were still beating them. Everyone wanted a draw at the ipro. 

There's no way you can ever have the element of surprise in that second season. 

But we didn't fall apart until March was it? When injuries started. Then the tinkering. 

Our strongest 11 in their system were a top 2/3 Champ side. The away game v Bournemouth was one hell of a match by any standard. 

3 hours ago, G-Ram said:

How did teams know to stick a player on Thorne when he was injured for pretty much the entire season?

15 hours ago, McLovin said:

I'd rather go up playing dull football than not at all. The difference between the likes of Southampton, Bournemouth, Watford and us is that when they were at the top, they got promoted at their first opportunity unlike us who have had 3 years of failure. You can alter your style when you get up there like Stoke did. I am probably in a minority here but I do love a defensive clean sheet. Makes me pull my hair out when I see a team defensively terrible like we were in the second half of last season. This is competitive sport, the aim is to win. Imagine the calibure of players we could get if we got promoted. 

Yes because that worked so brilliantly under Billy D. 

6 hours ago, thelovebelow said:

Yes because that worked so brilliantly under Billy D. 

That had nothing to do with the style. That was because we didn't buy the right players to compete. I have no doubt that if we get promoted Mel will go on a spending spree in the prem for us. Teams like Boro are going about it the right way. 

12 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Atleti dominate the ball in most of their matches. Shows how much of them you watch!

I'm countering the point that people would be promoted at any cost rather than in an entertaining way. I just can't understand why people would pay to watch football and not want to be entertained.

There are many different ways and styles to enjoy football. But long-ball, defensive football and wanting the game to finish the moment you get a 1-0 lead? I just don't get it..

And for the last point. We didn't get 'found out'. That's such a ridiculous statement. What does it even mean? That people know how we play? They've done a poor job at countering it if that's the case because if it needs pointing out again, we won 67 games from 138 in three seasons. Not bad for being 'found out'.

Last night wasn't enjoyable. Carlisle played better football. I don't see last night as 'winning' football. 

My point is that there isn't only one way to play well. The pass, pass, pass style was easy on the eye but it's not the only effective and enjoyable way to play the game. I don't think we should be playing long ball as a style but there should be the option of going 'longer' either up to a target man or over the defenders head for a fast striker. This was what i liked about Wassall when he came in, he stopped the Keogh and Shackell keep ball and if people were marked they went long to Martin to try and force the issue. 

I know you enjoy watching teams pass between the CBs waiting for the perfect movement to penetrate the lines but I find that part of the passing game so dull. I'd much rather Keogh power forwards on a run or ping a diagonal to Martins chest etc. that's what I mean by being more than one way to play. If there isn't a short pass on, don't just pass it to the other CB, look for a diagonal to the wing or a lofted ball up to Martin etc.

None of us wants this scraping through games boll0cks. My point was that as with the 06 promotion I don't remember it being poor, I remember us winning a lot of games and having fun. That's how it is in my memory. Likewise 2 seasons ago, I don't remember the brilliant passing football, I remember 3-0 loss at home to Reading that saw us crash out of the play off places. The football you'd argue was better in 13/14 14/15 15/16 but I don't find myself you tubing those seasons, I find myself watching that play off final we won. I didn't care we were second best in that game...

I enjoyed the attacking football but I also enjoy being able to watch a game without closing my eyes whenever the opposition makes it past the half way line.

On 23/08/2016 at 19:06, lrm14 said:

The past three years have been the most enjoyable years I've had as a Derby fan. I've seen us promoted and win at Wembley with ugly football, which was a great feeling at the time but on the whole the 13/14 season or the George Burley season were much more enjoyable. 

I'd rather we played our way and enjoy it. If we go up, brilliant, if not then I don't really mind. Four or five years ago we were a lower mid table outfit who just wanted good football. Now people have higher expectations and want us to drop that and go up no matter what.

Let's say Pearson rips apart this squad, which has provided fans some of the most enjoyable football since Jim Smith, and starts to rebuild. That will take a few seasons and whose to say it will work? It took him 3 years to get a side whose squad was miles better than anyone else up, how long will it take us? His track record isn't perfect too so it's still an if. 

The game where Leicester battered us 4-1 was the season where we came out of nowhere. Leicester had a better squad and were just straight up a better side, it's hardly a surprising result. 

It's just sad to see how egotistical some of our fans have become, when only a few years ago we were struggling to stay in the division. 

No it really didn't take him three years to get a side whose squad was miles better than anyone else up. It took him two and a half years to turn an average mid-table Championship side (again, Beckford, Mills, Danns, Peltier, Konchesky, Bamba, St. Ledger, Wellens, Gallagher, I could go on) into the best side in the Championship. It's just unequivocally wrong to suggest he inherited one of the best squads in the Championship.

The past three years have been the most enjoyable years I've had as a Leicester fan. We've played exciting attacking football, won two leagues and done it with a squad largely assembled by Nigel Pearson and a backroom set-up almost entirely assembled by Nigel Pearson. If he 'rips apart' - and I don't think that'll be the aim - your squad, who's to say that after that you won't be playing a more entertaining brand of football and winning things doing it?

Unless a manager somehow manages to go back in time and undo the QPR play off result, they are all in a "ok, prove you deserve anything but our contempt" position from a healthy segment of our fans, same goes for players. 

Its out of all proportion, but its certainly there. 

Anyway, Nigel Pearson hasnt undone the QPR defeat........BOOO

58 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Unless a manager somehow manages to go back in time and undo the QPR play off result, they are all in a "ok, prove you deserve anything but our contempt" position from a healthy segment of our fans,

It's not so much that, it's the fact we've been in a strong position to kick on for 3 seasons, probably the strongest position we've been in for 15 years.  Yet the two managers we've appointed since have shown no interest in doing that, they've both seemingly wanted to tear it all down and start again.  We spent 5 years under Clough getting our house in order, making steady improvement, then 2 years under McClaren tweaking it and really kicking on (and barring some luck at Wembley, or some luck with injuries a year later, we'd have been promoted).  But now we're almost in the position where we've got to start all over again, get our house in order again and rebuild from scratch and that 7 years under Clough and McClaren has been a complete and utter waste of everyone's time and money.

Archived